Metro Trains 27 July 2014 changes

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

venturatiger

Re: Metro Trains 27 July 2014 changes

Post by venturatiger »

An Express train is good as long as it stops at your station then its okay , bugger everyone else

Venturatiger
RailwayBus
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.

Post by RailwayBus »

system improver wrote:
RailwayBus wrote:...
If people can't conduct their day to day lives around a train every 10 minutes for most of the day, seven days a week, there is something wrong...
Except you "conveniently" forget to mention that the frequencies are not 10 minutes at pm peak times from the city, and are not less as you would except but worse. It's moronic - I don't care what you say. If whoever is doing the timetabling can't get the basics right then they should try another occupation.
I didn't "conveniently forget" anything. I said that there is a train every 10 minutes for most of the day, seven days a week, and the statement is correct.

If you wish to be pedantic, frequencies in the afternoon peak for the peak two hours (departing FSS between 1630 and 1830) will range between 10-12 minutes, averaging out at one train every 11 minutes.

Every 11 minutes instead of every 10 minutes? Whoop-dee-doo!

So Malvern loses 1 service in the afternoon peak (the only peak limited express service it had). How do the other stations fare?
Hawksburn-Armadale will have the same number of services. Carnegie-Hughesdale get double the services. The remaining stations on both Frankston and Dandenong lines get 1-2 additional services.

In addition to this, Dandenong line customers are also further benefiting from their trains receiving consistent stopping conditions. There is no more of the silly situation where just 1-2 random peak Dandenong trains stopped there, which led to any Malvern customers having to inspect the finer points of a timetable to work out what the next train was. It will now be consistent, and this is a win.

One less peak train at just one single station. Can the couple of dozen or so people who might have used that particular station stop can be accommodated on other trains? Yes. Therefore, this is hardly worth worrying about.
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

RailwayBus wrote:
system improver wrote:Except you "conveniently" forget to mention that the frequencies are not 10 minutes at pm peak times from the city, and are not less as you would except but worse. It's moronic - I don't care what you say. If whoever is doing the timetabling can't get the basics right then they should try another occupation.
I didn't "conveniently forget" anything. I said that there is a train every 10 minutes for most of the day, seven days a week, and the statement is correct.

If you wish to be pedantic, frequencies in the afternoon peak for the peak two hours (departing FSS between 1630 and 1830) will range between 10-12 minutes, averaging out at one train every 11 minutes.

Every 11 minutes instead of every 10 minutes? Whoop-dee-doo!

So Malvern loses 1 service in the afternoon peak (the only peak limited express service it had). How do the other stations fare?
Hawksburn-Armadale will have the same number of services. Carnegie-Hughesdale get double the services. The remaining stations on both Frankston and Dandenong lines get 1-2 additional services.

In addition to this, Dandenong line customers are also further benefiting from their trains receiving consistent stopping conditions. There is no more of the silly situation where just 1-2 random peak Dandenong trains stopped there, which led to any Malvern customers having to inspect the finer points of a timetable to work out what the next train was. It will now be consistent, and this is a win.

One less peak train at just one single station. Can the couple of dozen or so people who might have used that particular station stop can be accommodated on other trains? Yes. Therefore, this is hardly worth worrying about.
Again you have missed the point, that there should be more services in the peak than in the off peak, not the other way around.
Craig

Post by Craig »

More broadly, the Frankston pattern in the height of the PM peak has gone from a 9 min cycle to 11 min cycle for both the stoppers and expresses, allowing paths for more loop trains on the Dandenong line. While current peak loads should still be accommodated, I have reservations that the effect of peak cancellations will be more pronounced, with gaps jumping from 18 mins to 22 mins, which will likely to lead to excessive overcrowding. Hopefully Metro will not make a regular event of reduced peak timetables due to Royal Show, Summer, Driver training etc.

The new peak timetable should ultimately spread the loads better though, with express trains offering a turn-up-and-go service every 11 mins from 16:19 until 18:41. Currently express trains only depart 9 - 10 mins between 17:04 and 17:50, with a 20 min service outside these times. No loss for cutting the 19:06 express, this service is very poorly used - often less than 10 passengers a carriage past Caulfield!

Students travelling to Monash Uni will be spolit for choice with counter-peak trains shunting off now taking passengers. 8 outbound trains arriving Huntingdale between 08:59 & 10:01 will double to 16 arrivals between 9:02 & 10:02. With the connecting 601, 630 & 900 buses every few minutes, no more excuse for being late to a 10am class.

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
Volvo_B9R

Post by Volvo_B9R »

At least those near Malvern have other options to get into the City. Given the 64 tram is only a stones throw away. I think a certain person needs to get off his soap box and see the reality of other peoples lives who might be travelling from distances they can only comprehend every single day where a trip into or out of the City is far longer than the short trip in or out from Malvern. So a person wanting to get to Malvern has to wait a very small extra amount of time to catch the next train. GET OVER IT!! :oops:
RailwayBus

Post by RailwayBus »

Craig wrote:No loss for cutting the 19:06 express, this service is very poorly used - often less than 10 passengers a carriage past Caulfield!
And it comes back empty cars too, just to make it more pointless.
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
lukey boy

Post by lukey boy »

Does anyone know where I can find the working timetable for the new changes?
Also does anyone know when the timetables will be available from stations too?
RailwayBus

Re: Metro & Regional Bus 27 July 2014 changes

Post by RailwayBus »

Another minor train change from 27 July, the one a day Sandringham line train that ran express was altered to stop at all stations.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”