What are Melbourne's longest bus routes?

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet »

I guess route 903, Mordialloc to Altona, is the longest ( I heard somewhere that it's 80km), and I read on a tram at Airport West that the 902 is 76km long.

The other long ones I can think of are the Blackburn to Middle Brighton and Frankston to Ringwood smart bus routes and the 304 from the city to Ringwood via Warrandyte.

Are there any other long ones, I'd also appreciate some distances for the routes that I've mentioned and for the 901's extension to the Airport?

Thanks in advance
Gauntlet
Peter1805

Re: What are Melbourne's longest bus routes?

Post by Peter1805 »

You may find this page from the Vic Department of Transport helpful:

http://www.transport.vic.gov.au/web23/H ... enDocument

The 903 route (Altona to Mordialloc via Sunshine, Essendon, Preston, Heidelberg, Doncaster, Box Hill, Chadstone SC, Oakleigh, Mentone) is listed as 86 km in length, while it is true that the 902 is 76 km.

The current 901 route from Frankston to Ringwood is 48 km - not sure how long it will be when it is extended to Melbourne Airport, but I suspect it may end up being the longest.

You might find this PDF document interesting, as well:

http://www.transport.vic.gov.au/DOI/DOI ... tsheet.pdf

Cheers,

Peter
RailwayBus
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.

Post by RailwayBus »

Yes when the 901 gets extended to the Airport it will become Melbournes longest bus route.
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
R707

Post by R707 »

Roughly measuring on Google maps, 562 Greensborough to Kinglake and 684 (MET section only) Southern Cross to Healesville are both about 65km. Using the same method 901 to the Airport comes out at about 105km
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

I thought the 827/828 would also have been there as 2 of the longest along with the 782 Frankston - Flinders. But i think they both just fall short of 65kms

Jase
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
B7RLE
Favourite Vehicle: VOLVO B7RLE

Post by B7RLE »

The 826 pakenham to Hampton would have been a long run especially if it got extended through lakeside
Proud Owner of a Volvo B10M mk 2 Volgren and a Scania L113CRB Volgren
Bradley
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M Mk4, Volgren Artic.

Post by Bradley »

I remember, correctly,

Old Quinces bus route 634 (Middle Brighton to Lilydale via North Brighton, Bentleigh, Clayton, Monash Medical Centre, Monash University, Waverley Gardens, Stud Park, Rowville, Upper Ferntree Gully, Boronia, Croydon & Chirnside Park) way back in the late 80's/sometimes in the 90's before route 703, 631, 691, 737 & short route 634 (Croydon to Lilydale later, becames extended route 664 takes over). Old route 634 use to take arond 2 hours & 20 minutes.

Cheers

Bradley.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

Route 787 on a Saturday is also worth a mention.

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/route/view/1516

Its end-to-end km length (if measured in a straight line) is not exceptional, although if measured by odometer km it is due to all the turns.

Its length in minutes (2hr 14 min), slow average speed and high number of turns are also unusual.

And if comparing lengths don't overlook some of the NightRider routes either!
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
jarf
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UA/Volgren CR228L

Post by jarf »

The 970 to Rosebud is approximately 77km. :wink:
Random Gunzel Insanity - http://jarfness.blogspot.com/
Craig

Post by Craig »

jarf wrote:The 970 to Rosebud is approximately 77km. :wink:
Since the frequency upgrades at the end of 2008, Route 970 from the City no longer reaches Rosebud - it terminates at Mornington, about 55km from the City.

The final leg from Mornington to Rosebud is now run by Portsea Passenger, and this section is now numbered 788 (as per the daytime service).

Kind Regards

Craig :)
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

PaxInfo wrote:Its end-to-end km length (if measured in a straight line) is not exceptional, although if measured by odometer km it is due to all the turns.

Its length in minutes (2hr 14 min), slow average speed and high number of turns are also unusual.
I would hope the drivers doing this route are skilled in it, because I don't know how even a local could do this whole run without getting some of it wrong their first (few) times!
Metlink wrote:SORRENTO TO SAFETY BEACH - (SATURDAY): From the terminus at the Sorrento Ferry Terminal via The Esplanade, R Pt Nepean Rd continuing on Ocean Beach Rd, Kerferd Ave, Coppin Rd, Melbourne Rd, St Johns Wood Rd, Pt Nepean Rd, Adelaide St Williams Rd, Kennedy St, Grant St, Canterbury St, Jetty Rd, Melbourne Rd, Dundas St, to U turn at Dundas St & Avon Rd shops, then via Dundas St, Pt Nepean Rd, Napier St, Nelson St, Lyons St, Sullivan St, into Bimble St, Ozone St, into Safeway Driveway, Hygea St, Bimble St, Government Rd, Field St continuing on Alma St, Morris St, Yolland St, Darvall St, Barry St, Truemans Rd, Broadway, Eliza St, Swans Way, Elizabeth Ave, Hakea Ave, Cootamundra Ave, The Village Glen. From the Village Glen, via Eastbourne Rd, Mirriam Ave, Johnston St, Brendal St, Braidwood Ave, Boneo Rd, The Drive, Warranilla Ave, Windella Ave continuing Thomas St, McCombe St to Port Phillip Plaza, Boneo Rd, Cain St, Illaroo St, Karingal Dr, Wyuna St, Mawara Ave, Illaroo St, Allambi Ave, Coleman Cr, Boneo Rd, Besgrove St, Hinton St, Harbridge St, Besgrove St, Eastbourne Rd, Sixth Ave, Ti tree Av, Second Ave, Mt Arthur Rd, Eighth Ave, Lea Way, Ninth Ave, McDowell St, Jetty Rd, Pt Nepean Rd, Rosebud Pde, Eastbourne Rd, Jetty Rd, Keogh St, Leon Ave, Murray-Anderson Rd, Morgan St continuing into South Rd, Wattle Rd, Cameron St, Woodvale Gr, Elwers Rd, Mountview Rd, Elwers Rd, Keogh St, Woonton Cr, Jetty Rd, Duells Rd, Goolgowie St, Waterfall Gully Rd, Old Cape Schanck Rd, Bayview Rd, Leichardt St, Flinders St, Bowen St, Bayview Rd, into Latrobe Pde, Pt Nepean Rd, Permien St, Codrington St, Ligar St, McCulloch St, Boundary Rd, Seaview Pde, Jetty Rd, Palmerston Ave, Dyson St, Frieda St, You Yangs Ave, Mary St, Boundary Rd, Lombardy Ave, Coleus Ave, Boronia St, Canna St, Heath Rd, Mary St continues Kangerong Ave, Charles St, Pier St, Pt Nepean Rd, Nepean Hwy to the corner of Country Club Drive.
I attempted plotting it out in Google Maps to find out the km distance but gave up around Yolland Street in Tootagarook.
ThomasHobley

Post by ThomasHobley »

684?
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

That's a tricky one. WIth only one or two trips per day on a country-style service arguably it's a historical oddity that it has a metropolitan route number at all.
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”