Tasmanian Bus Observations - JANUARY 2014

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Tasmanian Bus Observations - JANUARY 2014

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Well, another year is almost upon us. 2013 has been quite eventful here in Tasmania, with numerous new deliveries. 2014 promises to be just as busy, with Metro kicking off with 7 new CB80 12.5s early in January 2014. So keep your eyes on this post, and as events happen (or are going to happen) we'll keep you up-to-date. On behalf of the Tasmanian Bus & Coach Society AND MYSELF personally, I'd like to wish everyone on the board all the best for the NEW YEAR, have a safe night and enjoy yourself.
Tas Bus Nut

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations - JANUARY 2014

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Happy New Year everyone :mrgreen:
Attachments
Happy-New-Year-2014-Black-Wallpapers-Pictures-3-1024x640.jpg
Happy-New-Year-2014-Black-Wallpapers-Pictures-3-1024x640.jpg (88.08 KiB) Viewed 13027 times
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Well the big news to start the year here in Tassie (well Hobart at least) was the arrival of the 1st of (7) new CB80 12.5m buses for Metro. Unfortunately, as usual, once it arrived, it was hidden behind closed doors and is nowhere to be seen (for photos) :roll:

A renowned northern board member, ventured out in his beautifully restored
Flxible Clipper and got the tongues wagging around Hobart when he arrived in town for a short stop-over, before heading back home north again :mrgreen:
Photo © Peter (Russell) Clarke (courtesy Facebook)
Photo © Peter (Russell) Clarke (courtesy Facebook)
1536752_10201825651422039_649402635_n.jpg (78.17 KiB) Viewed 12944 times
And in TBCS news, the TBCS in association with Tasmania's own Redline, have organised a mini-tour to TRC's Hobart operations on [/b]SATURDAY 18th Jan, where the group will RIDE on TRC's LAST 14.5m Motorcoach Marathon, BEFORE it gets sold. (see accompanying thread)
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

The NEW Metro CB80 12.5m has not hit the roads yet, but HAS been allocated #341. Should be early next week. Unsure of next arrival(s). The bus features STRAIGHT window-line, HOWEVER once again the painting has left a LOT to be desired :roll: One other thing I noticed, they have seating capacity for 48 rather than the normal 44-45 that we have presently :shock:
Once again, I've been playing with Society bus #134, and have managed to source original style destination blinds (inc numbers). Although quite frail/brittle, the blinds look great now they've been fitted.

Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

#2 CB80 arrived yesterday (10th). It appears that maybe :?: they'll be arriving 1 p/wk (1st on Fri 3rd - 2nd Fri 10th) :?: NO identifying marks as to WHERE it's built (NSW or SA) Is there a way to tell :?: I DID however find the VIN plate on this one though, located near master switch behind engine cover (like our N113s). Do NOT know what fleet number this one's been allocated yet.
Other operator news: Millington Coaches has acquired a newer bus (1998 KIA) replaced one of ex Ivanhoe's ISUZUs. ex unknown WA operator. Rego: D 70 NC
danielb

Post by danielb »

Well, driving home from work today I saw 3 Oranas parked at the city bus mall. Much to my amazement, they all had really shiny wheels! Has Metro started to get the dirty wheel issue sorted or was it just a co incidence?

Also, do the new rigid CB80's have the same motor as the artics? If so, they would have to fly along surely?
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

danielb wrote:Well, driving home from work today I saw 3 Oranas parked at the city bus mall. Much to my amazement, they all had really shiny wheels! Has Metro started to get the dirty wheel issue sorted or was it just a co incidence?

Also, do the new rigid CB80's have the same motor as the artics? If so, they would have to fly along surely?
Coincidence methinks danielb, however I too have noticed a few buses with cleaner wheels than normal. As for the rigid CB80s NO. The rigids have the K280 whilst the artics have the K360
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Post by leyland clippers »

Looks like a few attachments have disappeared since the forum went down the other day.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
Z1-2110
Favourite Vehicle: Scania N113 Orana

Post by Z1-2110 »

Noticed Saturday and yesterday that Fenton's Isuzu/Melba is up for sale. Its still at its depot near Boat Harbour
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

Z1-2110 wrote:Noticed Saturday and yesterday that Fenton's Isuzu/Melba is up for sale. Its still at its depot near Boat Harbour
Often wonder if these older bus are worth selling or just send to the scrap yard as they are not suitable for operating as a P.V anymore only option would be as a motor home and not many buy for those. If the buses were preservation candidates then the prices asked are way to high considering the age of the vehicles up for sale. Just my opinion folks.
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
ZIB-585
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305G

Post by ZIB-585 »

From June 2013.
wisbydriverB40 wrote:The other news is that that doug is considering buying more renauts (mk2 ones) as they have a larger seating capacity.
There were reports that 2 or 3 MkII ACTION Renault PR180.2s (with the Saydair seats and flip-dot desto) were purchased by Wisby's. Any news on whether they've arrived?
Fully accredited Hino Poncho driver.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

ZIB-585 wrote:There were reports that 2 or 3 MkII ACTION Renault PR180.2s (with the Saydair seats and flip-dot desto) were purchased by Wisby's. Any news on whether they've arrived?
Comment made in December Observations. The 2 said MACK/Renaults arrived Mon 16th Dec.
ZIB-585
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305G

Post by ZIB-585 »

Thanks. My search didn't pick that up.

So any more details? Fleet numbers, rego?
Fully accredited Hino Poncho driver.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

The FIRST of Metro's new CB80s FINALLY hit the road today (23rd Jan). The second of the two that have been registered (#342) was used this afternoon, however was experiencing rear door problems, so will be taken back OFF the road till rectified. Because of this problem, #341 will not be used either. HOWEVER, I did manage to get a photo of #342, 1/2 way through it's shift after a tip-off (and photo) from bothwellflyer. Thx Trev :mrgreen:

captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

is it the sun on the front arn't they all yellow.................................
"CAPTAIN.C.H Still lives" :twisted: :shock: "JUST"
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

The sun captainch. I thought :oops: I was in a good position :(
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

at least you got it on first day of service!
"CAPTAIN.C.H Still lives" :twisted: :shock: "JUST"
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

yoda had #342 out today.

O'Driscoll Coaches have 2 x BRAND NEW BCI Classmasters (check Photo Section) Likewise O'Driscoll Coaches have taken over Midland Coaches including all vehicles.
metro_tas
Favourite Vehicle: Anything volvo or leyland

Post by metro_tas »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:yoda had #342 out today.
What a star!
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

The Tasmanian Bus & Coach Society can FINALLY REPORT, their donation coach from Dennis Maxwell on Tassie's NW Coast
1963 AEC Reliance / Denning :mrgreen: will be making it's trek SOUTH TOMORROW (Mon 27th).
Once again, the Society would like to sincerely THANK Dennis Maxwell for his kind DONATION of this historic coach for preservation.

From initial reports/enquiries, this coach was ( 1 ) of only ( 10 ) built in this configuration, and believed to be the ONLY one
left in Australia :shock: A condition of donation of the vehicle, was the TBCS had somewhere to store it undercover, whilst
restoration occurred (quite ironic considering it's sat in the same paddock for 19yrs prior to it's donation) :mrgreen:

This transportation, could not come about without the GENEROUS assistance of Bill & Jamie Sweeney, who have kindly donated
their time AND TRUCK for this exercise. TBCS members will be on hand to record it's journey, and I'm sure photos will be displayed
accordingly on the forum once downloaded.

NEXT Sunday (2nd Feb) the TBCS plan to have an informal OPEN DAY at our HQ shed, from (11am - 2pm) to allow people to come
and have a look at what all the hoo-ha has been all about, and to let members in particular see the job ahead in restoration.

So keep an eye on the forum for progress on our journey, photos from the trip AND if you want, come and have a LOOK NEXT Sun.

Neil Robins (President Tasmanian Bus & Coach Society)
wisbydriverB40
Favourite Vehicle: 1993 Hino CG277K

Post by wisbydriverB40 »

Hi guys

Sorry about not being on here lately, this time of year is always chaotic for myself :)

So I can give you all the latest on what's happening at Wisbys.

We took delivery in December of 2 1993 Renault PR180.2 MkII artics action ex987 and 984.
They seem to be a bit better built then the mkI and try can seat more without us having to modify the seating (69 seat 49 standing). Both have the flip dot destos on the front and side and we are currently in the process of reupholstering the seats and getting them ready for service on the Kingston high and Taroona High runs (the mk1's currently in service will be used as back ups or until the mkII's are ready at this stage.

In other news we have also bought 2 hino 2007 rg260 from Seymour in Victoria that have done quite low k's and will be in service from the beginning of the school year.

Sadly we also have retired and sold en8335 (ex hobart coaches no.17) scania k92 and she is now down south being converted to a camper (yes Neil I can hear you grinding your teeth from here :) )

Hopefully this year will run nice and smoothly and I hope you all have had a good holiday period and are doing well .

Cheers for now
John
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

Thanks for the Update john, thought the Hinos were from Seymour going by the livery I think they had 3 up for sale. What is the parts situation with the Renaults, did Doug buy any for parts?
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

702 in the first batch was being butchered for parts Steve. Had already commenced that months ago.

In Metro CB80 news, the latest CB80 delivered LAST FRIDAY has been allocated #337 Next one due TOMORROW

Open Day @ TBCS HQ - SUNDAY 2nd Feb 11am > 2pm.
79 Chapel St Glenorchy (just behind Countrywide Foodstore) FREE sausage sizzle
Come along and view 1963 AEC/Denning & MEET the generous owner who kindly donated this historic vehicle.

Mark your calender for NEXT MONTH'S TBCS mini-tour, this time to O'Driscoll Coaches Granton/New Norfolk operations.
Sunday 23rd February the TBCS will tour O'Driscoll's and ride some of their NEW AND OLD vehicles inc. Leyland Tigers.
ScaniaL94UB
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

FREE sausage sizzle.... Mmmmmyes and buses Mmmm :) How much $ for the O'Driscoll tour?
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

ScaniaL94UB wrote:FREE sausage sizzle.... Mmmmmyes and buses Mmmm :) How much $ for the O'Driscoll tour?
Members FOC - non-members $5

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”