38 years since end of SMR Steam and Tourist Potential

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Special_K

38 years since end of SMR Steam and Tourist Potential

Post by Special_K »

10 June 2021, marks 38 years since the last steam worked coal train operated on the South Maitland Railway from Neath Washery to East Greta Junction. While few comment on this anniversary, the recent announcement that the Southland Collliery at Pelton near Cessnock, is unlikely to reopen, gives a once in a generation opportunity to retain the remnant SMR to at least Caledonia.

As well all know, a railway will soon fall into disrepair without maintenance. With a fully equipped steam work shop at East Greta Junction, track in place and the possibility of linking to the Richmond Vale Railway Museum from Weston, the potential is enormous.

Any opinions?
Special_K

Re: 38 years since end of SMR Steam and Tourist Potential

Post by Special_K »

I incorrectly named the colliery at Pelton as Southland. Its latest name was Austar.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Just needs someone capable of organising it.

I think there is a limit to what volunteer groups can undertake. Too few interested, committed people. Too much professional-level red tape, requiring lots of time, qualifications and expenditure.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Special_K

Post by Special_K »

Agree,

A project of that size would require funding and management from probably a goverment agency. A combination of the vounteer's passion and the wise head of regulators and locals with a vision of how the project could mutually benefit both Hunter Region tourism and the steam preservation and operational movement. Maintaining the main-line connection at East Greta Junction would allow the direct operation of historical steam and diesel trains from Sydney to an industrial tourist precinct centred on Richmond Main and Weston with connections to Bellbird.

Yes, a long term project, but we must preserve the exisiting SMR to prevent it too from becoming another well intentioned rail-trail!
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

The previous answer was spot on.

And it is worth remembering that the Zig-Zag railway is projected to re-open towards the end of this year and that line is particularly good for non-enthusiast people/passengers, which makes me wonder how a steam SMR would go.
Special_K

Post by Special_K »

The SMR Route lends itself to "segment steam" where wine country coach tours could drop passengers just off the Hunter Expressway near Weston, join a steam hauled train, and emerge 30 mins or so later near Cessnock to be picked up and journey on to the vineyards. A reverse schedule could apply for other trips returning from wine tours or places such as Hunter Valley Gardens.

There is plenty of space to develop car parking at Weston where family groups could do a return trip to Caledonia and back in just over an hour. So many options!
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

Yes, that sounds promising, although I have been to that region a few times (mainly for Bus NSW conferences), I am not really that familiar with the area.
Sydney and surrounding regions do have a large population base, which I can imagine would support several steam train/tourist operations.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”