Region 14 (Forest)

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Ray

Region 14 (Forest)

Post by Ray »

I can't find an official source, but I have read that Region 14 caters for about 6 million trips a year, whereas Regions 7 and 8 are over 30 million each.

I wonder if they have considered merging the smaller regions, such as integrating Region 14 into Region 7?

This would allow an integrated service between the Northbridge/ Eastern Valley Way services and trips which use the same corridor heading further out. Alternatively, Region 14 and 8 could merge.
Go Cats.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Region 14 (Forest)

Post by Fleet Lists »

I will try again.
When the last labor government was in power there were further planes to reduce the number of regions to 8 but I dont have the details - this did not go ahead when the libs took over.

Looking at some monthly statistics a few years ago when the STA still operated region 6.
Based on adult trips only.
The four STA regions covered 9, 778, 745 trips - (2,444,686 trips per regions).
The 10 private regions (no longer a region 11) covered 3, 817, 530 trips (381, 753 per regions.) Region 14 covered 200, 819 below average but regions 5 and 15 were smaller with the latter only 80, 183 with neighbouring region 2 only 95, 379 so those two were obvious candidates for merger with 12 and 14 also such candidates.

The very fact that you nominate 14 to be merged with either 7 or 8 shows that there is no obvious merger solution there, I can not see that happen as whichever way it went it would make larger regions which I believe is not government policy.
Living in the Shire.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thanks Fleetlists. Agree that it comes down the government policy of the day.

I can understand the need for competitive tension, but I also wonder about how many regions and separate players are needed to achieve this. Quite possibly less than the current number.
Go Cats.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I found a copy of the original Unsworth which in fact suggested 10 regions https://web.archive.org/web/20070927044 ... t_full.pdf
Region 11 would have been part of 10 and later became actually part of 10
Regions 12 and 14 would have been part of regions 4 and 8.
Region 13 would have been part of region 5.
Region 15 would have been part of region 2 (another two I thought would have been amalgamated.
Hence the reported was basically accepted as far as the regions were concerned except for the additional 5 regions.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”