Sydney’s public transport growing back differently post-pandemic

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
tonyp

Re: Sydney’s public transport growing back differently post-pandemic

Post by tonyp »

The Liberal states see the significance of keeping their economies, in which small business plays a significant role, going. The Labor states see small business as mere collateral damage, based I guess on the philosophy that small business owners are capitalists (never mind the well-being of all the staff they employ). Then they run whinging to the feds for handouts to rebuild sectors run principally by small business, Queensland being a prime example.

http://www.premier.tas.gov.au/releases/ ... statement4

Look up I-Cook Dandenong for a classic example of a business sunk by a Labor local government and state government between them, including the involvement of no less than Victoria's chief health officer (the furry-faced one we're always seeing in the news).
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

If you want to turn this into a Labor vs Liberal stoush, fine, but lockdowns work (as recognised by both sides) in containing and bringing about a quicker elimination, unfortunately businesses suffer as a result. Even though NSW hasn't entered a formal lockdown, the increase in restrictions have created a de facto one, with the cbd becoming more ghost down like.

It may be hypocritical of the state governments to put their paw out, but given that the feds are happy to dole it out why wouldn't they? Some sectors of the economy will never return to the point of being sustainable, yet governments continue to throw money at it as if it will.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Linto63 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:41 am Yet is is the Liberal governed South Australia and Tasmania that are always first to close their borders. Both Labor governments that have been to the polls in the past 12 months have been returned with increased majorities, evidently voters approve of the steps they have taken.
I seem to recall that it is Western Australia under Mark McGowan who are the most trigger-happy with border closures, since they reopened late last year after being shut to most of Australia for a good six or so months. And Sandgropers have, foolishly perhaps, rewarded him and the Labor party with close to an absolute majority in Government (to be fair, the opposition was hardly a credible alternative) :roll:
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Western Australia's has been the most hardline, but given that it has virtually no population in border areas it hasn't had the effect as border closures in regions like Albury-Wodonga or the Gold Coast-Tweed Heads. Is also probably the least visited mainland state by people from the eastern states.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The WA border looks like this - from my pre-covid observations packed full hourly right through the day.

Much of it is (or was) filled with people undertaking interstate economic activity benefitting WA, I've met quite a few of them. Fortunately WA has the mining industry to underpin it, so can afford to be a bit cavalier with lesser contributors to the economy (it thinks). I know some, they hate McGowan. Luckily for him, like Ms P in Queensland, a bulk of ordinary voters who aren't economically affected think shutting the borders tight is a great solution. They will realise the truth when they eventually discover the smaller availability of jobs to apply for.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: I know some, they hate McGowan.
There will always be some who simply refuse to accept a leader's legitimacy based on their ideologies, but that he was returned to office with what was probably the biggest majority in Australian political history, suggests he is doing something right.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Linto63 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:19 am There will always be some who simply refuse to accept a leader's legitimacy based on their ideologies, but that he was returned to office with what was probably the biggest majority in Australian political history, suggests he is doing something right.
There are other areas in which they perform well (like public transport), but a significant factor is that the political alternative remains very weak, on top of which the Liberal leader who went to the election was an appallingly ineffective person. As in Queensland, Victoria and ACT, the Liberals offer no effective opposition, all the exact opposite of NSW and the Commonwealth.

WA's unpleasant habit of imposing sudden covid bans mid flight (passengers learning when they land in Perth that they have to go back straight away or quarantine for two weeks) isn't going to do wonders for the FIFO flow that contributes a lot for the WA economy.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

I wonder. If we had done a short and sharp lockdown for a few days a week ago like a typical Labor state response, would we be needing to endure a fortnight in lockdown like we need to now? Unclear, but interesting to ponder.

Whatever the individual states decide to do is besides the point when the federal government has failed to provide adequate quarantine facilities and has bungled the vaccine rollout.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Be interesting to see how Barnaby performs. He has been in exile since prior to the great pandemic.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

mandonov wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:13 pm I wonder. If we had done a short and sharp lockdown for a few days a week ago like a typical Labor state response, would we be needing to endure a fortnight in lockdown like we need to now? Unclear, but interesting to ponder.
They could open it earlier if it quickly comes back under control.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
bussie

Post by bussie »

tonyp wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:38 am The Liberal states see the significance of keeping their economies, in which small business plays a significant role, going. The Labor states see small business as mere collateral damage, based I guess on the philosophy that small business owners are capitalists (never mind the well-being of all the staff they employ). Then they run whinging to the feds for handouts to rebuild sectors run principally by small business, Queensland being a prime example.

http://www.premier.tas.gov.au/releases/ ... statement4

Look up I-Cook Dandenong for a classic example of a business sunk by a Labor local government and state government between them, including the involvement of no less than Victoria's chief health officer (the furry-faced one we're always seeing in the news).
When you talk about the economy, don't forget that WA was rated the best performing economy in the world for 2020. Their border closures have certainly allowed the internal WA economy to open up much faster than other states.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

WA's economy was helped by record high iron ore (and other commodity) prices. Just some very good luck, that disguised what was being seen in other States with small businesses.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:55 am WA's economy was helped by record high iron ore (and other commodity) prices. Just some very good luck, that disguised what was being seen in other States with small businesses.
When I was in Fremantle recently, normally a hive of small business activity, I was rather shocked to see the number of closed and shuttered business premises and shops. As a popular tourist destination (both local and external), that would be very much a result of the lockdowns. The buses and trains seemed emptier than they used to be, but that may be just an impression.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

mandonov wrote: If we had done a short and sharp lockdown for a few days a week ago like a typical Labor state response, would we be needing to endure a fortnight in lockdown like we need to now?
A fortnight would still have been needed, but with the benefit of hindsight an earlier shutdown should have been implemented. Was obvious once it spread beyond the eastern suburbs 4 or 5 days ago that, a city side lockdown was inevitable.
Swift wrote: Be interesting to see how Barnaby performs. He has been in exile since prior to the great pandemic.
Thankfully, countries run by loose canon leaders have not faired well during the pandemic.
Aurora wrote: They could open it earlier if it quickly comes back under control.
Given that we are yet to peak in terms of infection numbers, unlikely.
tonyp wrote: When I was in Fremantle recently, normally a hive of small business activity, I was rather shocked to see the number of closed and shuttered business premises and shops.
As in most cities. Despite having been out of lockdown for over 6 months, Sydney's cbd is littered with empty shops.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Linto63 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:44 am As in most cities. Despite having been out of lockdown for over 6 months, Sydney's cbd is littered with empty shops.
In other words, WA's policy of severe lockdowns hasn't saved WA's small business sector. Sydney CBD has suffered because the work-from-home option is more prevalent there but elsewhere across NSW the effects on small business are relatively minor. The Liberal approach of cushioning the whole economy works better.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Any sector that is reliant on tourism has suffered. Had the states that closed their borders not done so (and it hasn't just been the Labor governed states, but Liberal run SA & Tasmania as well that are quick off the mark), then inevitably the infection rates seen in other states would have made their way across, leading to them to having to lock down. By keeping the virus out, they have been able to keep their economies open internally.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I love that there's been zero immigration. There always a silver lining. Now to kick those Hollywood A listers out.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Businesses are upset about it because they'll eventually have to increase wages with the shortage of workers. That isn't a bad thing, either.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

With women of child bearing age only producing 1.7 children in 2018, when it needs to be 2.0 to maintain our population, we need immigration to maintain our standard of living.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Absolutely. However the age, skills and education possessed (or ability to obtain) of those should be carefully scrutinised. Why is it we need foreign workers (be they backpackers or other temporary visitors from the Pacific nations) to do basic tasks like fruit and vegetable harvesting? Are Aussies too lazy, or do they feel the conditions are poor?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

They are lazy and have no ambition; they realise they can get the same or better money on the dole.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
mubd

Post by mubd »

If I were unemployed, I would rather stay in the city to undertake a job search for permanent employment.

You'd have to be mad to uproot myself from a stable living arrangement (e.g. living with parents, no rent paid) for a 1 or 2 month fruit picking contract on minimum wage, with most of your pay going back to the farm you're staying at for your sleeping accommodation. Then after 60 days of toil, you're out on your arse having to buy a bus ticket back home with almost nothing to show for it. And because you've just finished 'seasonal work', you're ineligible for Centrelink for a number of weeks after your contract is up.

I can see why it would appeal to the itinerant working holiday crowd, but not young adults who'd rather stay in the city where there are better jobs available.
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Farmers are over romanticised and revered in the media.
The reality is they are just ruthless businessmen.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Which is why fruit picking and similar jobs appeal to foreigners (and why farmers can't get many workers now). The workers don't know their rights, and for many, that slave wage is probably better than what they'd earn back home. For someone on the dole, too much effort for too little reward.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

Mr Constance said he was concerned about the risks public transport posed, given more than 400,000 trips were still being taken by essential workers each day.

“The very nature of public transport and crowding ... it’s an obvious point of high risk in our communities,” he said.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/poi ... 585od.html

Employers feeling empowered to encourage people back to work (in the CBD) is a major a cause of this increase. I can't believe I was experiencing pre-pandemic squeezes on some days on the way to work before the current lockdown. No wonder there has been another lockdown, and cases on Public Transport. Now I feel obliged to not use the train or bus to go to the shops and buy my essentials e.g. toilet paper

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”