Metro trackwork

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Glen

Metro trackwork

Post by Glen »

Due to trackwork this weekend (20-21/2/21) if you are travelling beyond Bella Vista on the Metro you have to change Metro trains at Bella Vista.

Does anybody know the particular reason for that?
swtt

Re: Metro trackwork

Post by swtt »

Better than shutting the entire line down!

Looks like the above ground section is getting trackwork, not the underground sections?
Glen

Post by Glen »

Yes absolutely, but note no bussing at all.

See

https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6057689

Maybe single line working?
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

So they are not shutting down any part of the line, but more of splitting the line into two separate services at Bella Vista.
Last edited by marcnut1996 on Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
swtt

Post by swtt »

It doesn't seem to be worded very well.

Probably needs to be worded:
There will be a shuttle service between Tallawong and Bella Vista, and the usual service from Bella Vista to and from Chatswood. Passengers travelling to and from these two sections will need to interchange at Bella Vista by walking to the opposite platform.
marcnut1996

Post by marcnut1996 »

^This rewording is much better and clearer.
In Transit

Post by In Transit »

Just the standard TfNSW mangling of attempts to communicate with customers and stakeholders, whether it’s travel information, promoting their services or explaining why and what they are doing.

It’s clear no one cares or provides leadership in this area, as it’s an ongoing problem and a demonstrable lack of capability in the organisation.
swtt

Post by swtt »

In Transit wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:15 pm Just the standard TfNSW mangling of attempts to communicate with customers and stakeholders, whether it’s travel information, promoting their services or explaining why and what they are doing.

It’s clear no one cares or provides leadership in this area, as it’s an ongoing problem and a demonstrable lack of capability in the organisation.
This we can blame the education system for - for failing society on literacy :lol:
marcnut1996

Post by marcnut1996 »

As of the writing of this post, I am taking the metro from Tallawong to Chatswood.

Metro seems to be running as a one-train shuttle between Bella Vista and Tallawong and running on the “up-side track” (the usual track towards Tallawong) in both directions. Bella Vista to Chatswood services still run at usual 10 min frequencies.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The track towards Tallawong would be the DOWN track.

How do the Chatswood to BV services terminate? Is there a cross over to reverse trains?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

There are Crossovers on the Tallawong side of Bella Vista.

Although not 100% accurate, it would seem from the TLS that, yesterday, Saturday, the one train Shuttle was using the Up Track.

Also, there appeared to be a Train at Rouse Hill on the Closed Track, and that maybe the case again today.

https://anytrip.com.au/webtls

Is this Weekend an Emergency exercise with a Disabled or broken down Train ?
marcnut1996

Metro trackwork

Post by marcnut1996 »

Scott4570 wrote:There are Crossovers on the Tallawong side of Bella Vista.

Although not 100% accurate, it would seem from the TLS that, yesterday, Saturday, the one train Shuttle was using the Up Track.

Also, there appeared to be a Train at Rouse Hill on the Closed Track, and that maybe the case again today.

https://anytrip.com.au/webtls

Is this Weekend an Emergency exercise with a Disabled or broken down Train ?
The train is still there today, and it just looks turned off at Rouse Hill. Given that this trackwork is planned, this train does not look like its broken down.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

I went to observe this unusual type of trackwork and here are my findings:

It is a false assumption and assertion to believe Sydney Metro is fully automated as we see here, a human presence was required to request passengers to leave the ex Chatswood train at Bella Vista
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEVjfjm8tbs

Whilst ex Chatswood service announcements/messages couldn't be automated, they changed the stopping pattern on the internal destination indicators
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdcu-7VWlRU

ex Chatswood Trains and Tallawong Bound trains at Bella Vista both departed from Platform 2

The situation at Tallawong meanwhile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiMXkqZiWMg

Notice how there was an automated termination announcements/messages at Tallawong and special ones for ex Tallawong trains heading towards Chatswood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHPdEE_x-yk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-r0w3Raj5c

Cross platform interchange required at Bella Vista when travelling ex Tallawong heading towards Chatswood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6B916yXRF0

Glitch on train position at Bella Vista on an ex Tallawong train
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGQnwYsUiSM
Glen

Post by Glen »

Thanks for reporting in however I'm not sure if it just me, but I cannot see any pictures you may have posted.

BTW I don't think anyone said there was an "assumption and assertion to believe Sydney Metro is fully automated" during a time of disruption, planned or otherwise.

In normal times I don't often see staff on board when I travel (not frequently admittedly).
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

Glen wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:12 pm Thanks for reporting in however I'm not sure if it just me, but I cannot see any pictures you may have posted.
Not just you - I don't see any pictures either.
BTW I don't think anyone said there was an "assumption and assertion to believe Sydney Metro is fully automated" during a time of disruption, planned or otherwise.

In normal times I don't often see staff on board when I travel (not frequently admittedly).
There are levels of automation (4 of them from memory), and even the most automated systems (Sydney falls into category 4, which is the highest level) still requires humans in the back end (in this case, in the control room etc).
I have seen the odd staff member on board before - one of them I saw was taking notes about issues on different trains [yes I could see his piece of paper...] so suspect might have been one of the engineers as his uniform was labelled "Sydney Metro North West" - but this is more exception than rule from my experience.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have got links to most of them working I think
Living in the Shire.
marcnut1996

Post by marcnut1996 »

The links are Youtube links, not pictures.

I could not see the links on the mobile Safari, but I could see them on desktop or in the Tapatalk mobile app.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I'm not sure what this discussion is about. Of course the metro has humans at the back end and, in some out-of-ordinary situation, you'd expect human announcements and interventions into normal automated operations. The trains are unstaffed. It's a GoA 4 system.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

I rode on the Metro, for the first time, yesterday. The interior of the trains reminds me of the latest driver less Singapore - even down to the front manual control area and the on platform gates are very similar.

The distance between stations seems large, to me, but I guess, being out in the suburbs, closely spaced stations were not contemplated. The station depth at Epping quite surprised me - why is it so deep?

I guess once the Metro is extended to Central, high passenger loads would be expected.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The line was originally intended to be heavy rail, so possibly the station spacing was based on that. The line serves mainly low density housing suburbs, so the "profitability" of having too many stations may have been a factor. Some higher density residential is being proposed around the station sites, in line with planning policies.

Extending the line to the city will probably pick up a lot of traffic from Chatswood itself, being quicker than the heavy line.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”