2021/22 Easter Show

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

2021/22 Easter Show

Post by Fleet Lists »

From the 2021 Easter Show website https://www.eastershow.com.au/getting-h ... transport/
Please note: To meet contact tracing requirements for the NSW Government, tickets to the 2021 Show won’t include free public transportation.
Will payment on buses be possible by Opal? Many buses/coaches on some bus routes normally do not have Opal equipment installed.

Travel detail is not available on the Transport Info website yet.
Living in the Shire.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Re: 2021 Easter Show

Post by boxythingy »

No thanks to extra-overinflated cost with potential COVID-19 infection
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Can probably be assumed with capped attendance numbers there will be no show buses with just the enhanced rail service.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The link above shows that the special buses will operate.
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

As it is during school holidays this year will probably be able to be handled by TfNSW’s contracted operators without the need for subcontractors.
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M

Post by 1115 »

Maybe the end of free Olympic Park transport with ticket, by stealth and under cover of COVID? The cost of providing it must be huge, and with nice things in NSW now user pays I wouldn’t be surprised.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Well, it was never "free". The cost was recouped from the event organiser, who simply factored it into the ticket price.

For now, it is thrown back at the passengers, so their travel can be tracked by Opal.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

An article in the Telegraph today confirms that fares this year will NOT be included in the ticket price .
And only prebooked tickets.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ ... 2bc67b5385
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

And the Transport for NSW webpage https://transportnsw.info/events/2021/0 ... -show-2021 contains this
Additional transport services will run to Sydney Olympic Park each day during the Show including express trains and Major Event Buses. Remember it’s mandatory to wear a face mask and you’ll need to tap on and off services using an Opal card or contactless payment as travel is not included in your ticket to the Show. Register your details via the Opal website or app ahead of time.
Living in the Shire.
thunderbird

Post by thunderbird »

To meet contact tracing requirements??

I could use an unregistered opal. Good luck contact tracing me!

If they were serious and diplomatic, they could have mandated use of a registered opal card or credit card and set the fares at $0, but require tap on and off.

I would have respected transport for NSW if they just said to reduce overcrowding we are charging fares this year.
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

Perhaps for families, they should be driving rather than using public transport to the Show as it would be safer and easier to get there.

Sent from my SM-A7050 using Tapatalk

Nugget

Post by Nugget »

CityRail wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:35 pm Perhaps for families, they should be driving rather than using public transport to the Show as it would be safer and easier to get there.

Safer maybe but it's still quite a cluster to get into the precinct and then parking would still be exorbitant.
mattyc

Post by mattyc »

Nugget wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:08 am
CityRail wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:35 pm Perhaps for families, they should be driving rather than using public transport to the Show as it would be safer and easier to get there.

Safer maybe but it's still quite a cluster to get into the precinct and then parking would still be exorbitant.
Nugget (or perhaps you should change your name to Negative).... do some research, the parking is $20 pre-purchase or $30 on the day.

So far Sydney Olympic Park, RAS NSW/Sydney Royal Easter Show, and TFNSW have outlined the reason transport isn't included is so that everyone taps on and off and they can do contact tracing if necessary. Honestly, the max you're going to pay as an adult is $16.10 and a child $8, a drop in the ocean to most costs families pay for.

The continual negativity on this forum is just getting beyond a joke.
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

mattyc wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:00 pm
Nugget (or perhaps you should change your name to Negative).... do some research, the parking is $20 pre-purchase or $30 on the day.

So far Sydney Olympic Park, RAS NSW/Sydney Royal Easter Show, and TFNSW have outlined the reason transport isn't included is so that everyone taps on and off and they can do contact tracing if necessary. Honestly, the max you're going to pay as an adult is $16.10 and a child $8, a drop in the ocean to most costs families pay for.

The continual negativity on this forum is just getting beyond a joke.
Usually families with kids go to Sydney Olympic Park, and for a family of 4 from Central Coast/Wollongong to come to the Easter Show, fares would have been $48.30 return, which is more expensive than parking fee.

Of course you need to weigh in tolls, but I would suggest it will be easier especially if you have prams etc.

I wouldn't rule out short haul passengers better off catching the train, but the medium and long haul passengers it is better to drive as it could be easier and cheaper.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

The chance that you're going to be involved in a car accident is far higher than any chance that you're going to catch coronavirus on public transport in Sydney, so I'd say that catching public transport is probably safer.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Timetables are now available on Transport Info but they have got me confused.
Some routes only have a timetable for the first three days. others have two separate timetables for different date ranges while again others have the one timetable for the full range of dates from 1 to 12 April. Of the last group routes 6 and 7 and probably others, the Monday to Friday timetable only operates on Thursday and Friday with nothing on non public Holiday Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Route 1B has two timetables but does not have anything for Thursday 1 April. The second timetable from 6 April only has Monday trips during Monday to Fridays.
I have not looked at all routes,
Living in the Shire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

I think you'll find eventually they will all fall into line.

Judging by timetables I've seen at bus stops, there are four timetables covering

weekdays
Good Friday and Easter Monday
Easter Saturday and Easter Sunday
The second weekend.
boronia

Post by boronia »

CityRail wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:02 pm

Usually families with kids go to Sydney Olympic Park, and for a family of 4 from Central Coast/Wollongong to come to the Easter Show, fares would have been $48.30 return, which is more expensive than parking fee.

Of course you need to weigh in tolls, but I would suggest it will be easier especially if you have prams etc.

I wouldn't rule out short haul passengers better off catching the train, but the medium and long haul passengers it is better to drive as it could be easier and cheaper.
You haven't mentioned the cost of fuel, which for a return trip from the CC or Wollongong would probably erode most of that cost advantage.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Glen wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:33 pm I think you'll find eventually they will all fall into line.

Judging by timetables I've seen at bus stops, there are four timetables covering

weekdays
Good Friday and Easter Monday
Easter Saturday and Easter Sunday
The second weekend.
There have been some improvements today with now 3 timetables for route 7 covering the full date range from 1 to 12 April as has route 1B.
Route 1A still only has two up to 10 April.
That is all I have looked at just now.
Living in the Shire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

It looks like the Transport Info system has combined the days differently to how the bus stop timetables have.

Most punters will probably just refer to the apps, which should pick up the correct applicable dates.
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

boronia wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:55 pm
You haven't mentioned the cost of fuel, which for a return trip from the CC or Wollongong would probably erode most of that cost advantage.
Let's take an example of going to Easter Show here and back from Newcastle (310km return):

Fuel cost: 8.0L/100km x 3 = 24.0 x 121.5c/L = $29.16
Parking: $20
Do not use Northconnex: Save $16.
Total cost: $49.16

Opal for 2 adults and 2 child: $48.30

So it might appear that train is cheaper. But definitely slower than car and more hassleful as you need to look after your kids to ensure they don't stand beyond the yellow line, and not running around on trains etc.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

The Bathurst Bullet, which in years gone by has been built up to 4 cars for the duration of the show, this year is running as 2 cars. Presumably the previously spare set has been swallowed up by the introduction of the second Bathurst service.
thunderbird

Post by thunderbird »

CityRail wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:46 pm
boronia wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:55 pm
Let's take an example of going to Easter Show here and back from Newcastle (310km return):

Fuel cost: 8.0L/100km x 3 = 24.0 x 121.5c/L = $29.16
Parking: $20
Do not use Northconnex: Save $16.
Total cost: $49.16

Opal for 2 adults and 2 child: $48.30

So it might appear that train is cheaper. But definitely slower than car and more hassleful as you need to look after your kids to ensure they don't stand beyond the yellow line, and not running around on trains etc.
What about vehicle wear and tear (tyres, oil replenishment etc) about 5-10c/km. Depreciation of vehicle with increased kms.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

Announcements were heard at the station this evening around 5:45PM noting that the show had reached capacity and that one should attend on another day
boronia

Post by boronia »

Tickets were only available on line, and valid only for the day booked. The number of tickets available for each day was COVID capped. Surprising that people were being turned away.
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”