STA Observations 2021-2022

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Re: STA Observations 2021

Post by marcnut1996 »

The first time I have seen this desto (Bunnerong Road northbound at Matraville).
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
Glen

Post by Glen »

marcnut1996 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:44 pm The first time I have seen this desto (Bunnerong Road northbound at Matraville).
A short working from Sydney Olympic Park from a long time back ?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

A destination I never saw in Hunters Hill either! It was usually Woolwich, Figtree, Boronia Park or Gladesville. The first question that would come to mind for a user would be: whereabouts in Hunters Hill?

Cream livery on the top half of the bus would not go astray.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

According to the route map:
Hunters Hill Shops - Gladesville Rd is the only stop in this area. It is a limited stops service.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:01 am According to the route map:
Hunters Hill Shops - Gladesville Rd is the only stop in this area. It is a limited stops service.
Used to be known as Figtree shops until Geographical Names Board took the suburb name off to Wollongong. Gladesville Rd qualifier is needed because there are three and a bit shopping centres in the newly-enlarged suburb (as opposed to Municipality) of Hunters Hill. Poor old Boronia Park was downgraded from a suburb to a Neighbourhood in 1977, then wiped from the map in 1991. Prior to these changes, the suburb of Hunters Hill was the area between the eastern boundary of Figtree at around Reiby Rd and the western boundary of Woolwich at Weil Park.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

marcnut1996 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:44 pm The first time I have seen this desto (Bunnerong Road northbound at Matraville).

I know Port Botany puts up certain destos on each bus after they are fuelled each day so that the sheddie knows which buses have been fuelled. Occasionally drivers will leave it up when they special instead of changing it. They have been known to use this Hunters Hill 2 desto for that purpose in the paste
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
boronia

Post by boronia »

C'mon. I'm sure the residents of Hunters Hill would know where the stop is by now (good chance they caught a bus from the same area earlier in the day), and it would be completely irrelevant to anyone travelling to other stops.

The only "risk" would be people who don't read the actual destination, or don't understand that the stops between Drummoyne and Glebe are AFTER Hunters Hill.

Plenty of other bus destinations that are vague as to location, but passengers cope.
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:57 pm C'mon. I'm sure the residents of Hunters Hill would know where the stop is by now (good chance they caught a bus from the same area earlier in the day), and it would be completely irrelevant to anyone travelling to other stops.

The only "risk" would be people who don't read the actual destination, or don't understand that the stops between Drummoyne and Glebe are AFTER Hunters Hill.

Plenty of other bus destinations that are vague as to location, but passengers cope.
Yes, I was just giving a bit of background history! In fact "Hunters Hill Shops" has been a government bus destination since the old 516 was created back in the 70s(?). The GNB deleted the name Figtree in 1976 according to their records. Prior to that, most residents not in the know would assume that "Hunters Hill Shops" meant that the bus was turning down the peninsula to Alexandra St.
swtt

Post by swtt »

I guess route 517 is convenient for other Macquarie Park routes, such as 292, 545, 550 etc to follow on as the next run back to depot ImageImage

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Not sure where to post this but does anyone have any information on the status of 2000 ST? Last I heard It was not only going to be going to the Sydney Bus Museum when it was retired from service but was also having it's gas tanks removed.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
boronia

Post by boronia »

It was reported a couple of weeks ago (maybe elsewhere) that it was at PB for gas tank removal.

When all other disposal processes are completed it will apparently go to SBM.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Stu

Post by Stu »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:19 am Not sure where to post this but does anyone have any information on the status of 2000 ST? Last I heard It was not only going to be going to the Sydney Bus Museum when it was retired from service but was also having it's gas tanks removed.
My post from Feb 5.
O405NH cng fleet number 2000 has returned to STA AMD on Wednesday after being towed from AMD to Port Botany last week to have some cng tank decommissioning work undertaken.
The only new information is that the bus is still at STA AMD Leichhardt. Scania L113 cng 3510 also arrived last week.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Thanks people, I'm planning on doing another trip to the bus museum at some point in the future & 2000ST & the L113CRL are just one of many on my list to see when I head down there again. I was down there last year during the MB day event. but was a bit rushed for time so didn't get to take a look at everything.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
stajourneyman

Post by stajourneyman »

What is the go with both STA and TSA buses having some sort of white covering applied to the front lower panels in recent times.

I get the impression that something else is following...
swtt

Post by swtt »

stajourneyman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:03 pm What is the go with both STA and TSA buses having some sort of white covering applied to the front lower panels in recent times.

I get the impression that something else is following...
Not the "face mask" decal you're referring to?
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

That would be the appalling application that has been used to encourage wearing masks.

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
stajourneyman

Post by stajourneyman »

Does somebody actually get paid to come up with these dumb ideas?

We're probably only a month or so away from not needing to wear them on public transport, so they now decide to spend a heap on this sort of rubbish!
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

stajourneyman wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:30 am Does somebody actually get paid to come up with these dumb ideas?

We're probably only a month or so away from not needing to wear them on public transport, so they now decide to spend a heap on this sort of rubbish!
As much as people illogically are against it facemasks as a health feature are here for a while. The wishy washy attitude of the Premier has probably meant it is not as well adopted as it should be in NSW.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Even Newcastle Transport did a much better job with their "Face mask" on both their bus and LRV. STA/ TSA should've just stuck for applying it on one of the TNSW Livery buses where it is better suited. The one photo another member posted of it I was horrified how ugly and unfitting it looked on a B12BLE partly because they've gone for white on white which makes it hard to make it out.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

stajourneyman wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:30 am We're probably only a month or so away from not needing to wear them on public transport, so they now decide to spend a heap on this sort of rubbish!
I wouldn’t really bank on the mask rule being eased in just a months time if Victoria is anything to go by - once they were made mandatory over there on public transport somewhere back in July/August last year, it was never ever eased, irrespective of any long streaks without new cases. But then again, there is a pretty big difference in Premiers here and there.

The restriction that i don’t get personally is one year later the continued insistence of blocking off the front seats on the buses to passengers, even with almost 50 days of no new cases, mandatory masks, full-cover Perspex screens for drivers and the continued rise of patronage on public transport. I’m guessing maybe it’ll be when vaccine rollout is done?
Last edited by Jurassic_Joke on Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geo101

Mascot Station bus shelter

Post by Geo101 »

When are they going to start using the new bus shelter (southbound Stop ID: 201715) at Mascot Station? It's been construction zone-free for months now.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:02 pm I wouldn’t really bank on the mask rule being eased in just a months time if Victoria is anything to go by - once they were made mandatory over there on public transport somewhere back in July/August last year, it was never ever eased, irrespective of any long streaks without new cases. But then again, there is a pretty big difference in Premiers here and there.
I doubt that Victoria is exactly an example of what other states will follow with restrictions. They also continue to enforce long standing mask mandates statewide in settings like supermarkets and shopping centres, when such restrictions were short lived (for all of about 26 days) in Sydney, and have never existed in regional areas of NSW.

Don't forget too that in New South Wales there is still no mask mandate on public transport outside of Greater Sydney, also unlike Victoria where that mandate is statewide. In places like Newcastle there is no requirement for anybody to wear a mask on public transport, and in reality few people do.

They've recently (within the last fortnight) removed the requirement for most staff in hospitals to wear masks in NSW, and with the most vulnerable now being vaccinated against the disease, it has to be just a matter of time until Sydney joins the remainder of NSW in not requiring them on public transport.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Does appear to be a bit of a vanity exercise, a simple ‘masks on’ sign in the windscreen would be more effective not to mention cheaper. Am in Canberra at the moment and as if Covid didn’t exist here, no one wearing masks, randoms sitting next to each other etc, and although rear door only in theory remains, plenty of drivers allowing front door entry/exit.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

One edit moved to viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91593&p=1075620#p1075620 where this is being discussed
Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

No matter how many signs there are, no matter how many campaigns are run, there will always be a minority who will not wear masks.

I have seen a few buses with these fronts, but I just wouldn't associate them with masks. Just a big splodge of white, indistinguishable from a paint scheme.
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”