Any pics of Merc Mk4 2769 at the Mercedes Benz Museum in Germany?

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
AlphaDraco1

Any pics of Merc Mk4 2769 at the Mercedes Benz Museum in Germany?

Post by AlphaDraco1 »

So, I went on the fleetlists for STA after a while, just wanted to look at their disposal list, and I found 2769's status at the Merc Museum in Germany, are there any pics of it?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 5.08.51 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 5.08.51 pm.png (9.97 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Re: Any pics of Merc Mk4 2769 at the Mercedes Benz Museum in Germany?

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I'm not sure about photos as I'm having trouble myself digging any information up; first place to start would've been the Official Mercedes-Benz Musuem website (https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/classi ... xhibition/)

However nothing shows up in any of the collections for a Mercedes-Benz O305 PMC MK IV bus, I've looked previously in the past and nothing came up. Maybe this is still stored in Germany I'm not sure. If anyones still in the know or if the person who submitted this information is still around here are they able to confirm that 2769 definitely went to Germany"? I'm not saying it's impossible that this has happened but surely there would've been a bit more fanfare or documentation?

I'm part of a server for a bus simulator game however it does have active members from around the world on there, I've put out a message to any Germans or anyone who has previously visited the Museum itself as to whether they've seen the bus there or anything like it floating around at any point, I don't think I'm going to get any results but better I'd asked then not ask.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help but I've put your message out there for you incase there is someone in Germany that has seen it at some point.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
AlphaDraco1

Post by AlphaDraco1 »

Its ok, It was probably most likely stored there for a short period of time, or maybe put up for display for a while, then sent back to the State Transit. I've looked everywhere for information on it but nothing has come up.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

The bus was not in the museum when I visited last year. There were pics of it somewhere a couple of years back looking rather derelict in a yard. Its certainly MIA and can probably be presumed deceased.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
AlphaDraco1

Post by AlphaDraco1 »

1whoknows wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:20 am The bus was not in the museum when I visited last year. There were pics of it somewhere a couple of years back looking rather derelict in a yard. Its certainly MIA and can probably be presumed deceased.
If it was still in Germany at the time of the withdrawal of the Mk4's, it probably got scrapped as It is a bus from the other side of the planet, they wouldn't have any use for it except take out some parts of the engine.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

1whoknows wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:20 am There were pics of it somewhere a couple of years back looking rather derelict in a yard. Its certainly MIA and can probably be presumed deceased.
Well not that I was expecting much of it since they already have one of their own O305's in the Museum but it would've made for an interesting display to have a different kind of bus from halfway across the world there to show off the various Mercedes-Benz buses that serviced various countries. The only other bus of ours I know that went to Germany was former m/o 1210 which is a O405NH Custom Citaro when there was a cracking issue in the chassis or something but that wasn't for display in a museum but rather an investigation, it did eventually come back and wasn't overseas for that long I believe.

Anyway I'm going to guess MK4 2769 wasn't looking in the best condition when it was retired so unless MB was seriously interested in fixing it up, there's probably some other reason why it was shipped half way across the globe. If your post holds up then yes it's probably long gone, scrap metal now and probably been recycled into something else.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
AlphaDraco1

Post by AlphaDraco1 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:05 am
1whoknows wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:20 am There were pics of it somewhere a couple of years back looking rather derelict in a yard. Its certainly MIA and can probably be presumed deceased.
Well not that I was expecting much of it since they already have one of their own O305's in the Museum but it would've made for an interesting display to have a different kind of bus from halfway across the world there to show off the various Mercedes-Benz buses that serviced various countries. The only other bus of ours I know that went to Germany was former m/o 1210 which is a O405NH Custom Citaro when there was a cracking issue in the chassis or something but that wasn't for display in a museum but rather an investigation, it did eventually come back and wasn't overseas for that long I believe.

Anyway I'm going to guess MK4 2769 wasn't looking in the best condition when it was retired so unless MB was seriously interested in fixing it up, there's probably some other reason why it was shipped half way across the globe. If your post holds up then yes it's probably long gone, scrap metal now and probably been recycled into something else.
Yeah, one of our CNG Merc O405NH Citaros bodied by Custom Coaches was sent to MB in germany to fix a crack in the chassis, hence why there is a diagonal line across the window behind the driver's seat.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

I thought the only right hand drive bus at the museum was the one parked next to Princess Diana's famous Mercedes not the one in the crash i may add ill have a look through my pictures one day
Sydney_Buses_CB60
Favourite Vehicle: STA Volvo B12BLE CB60 #1504(F)

Post by Sydney_Buses_CB60 »

I would assume judging by '3/94' that it was at the Museum in 1994, so based off that information it would have been about 10 years old at the time, and it appears to have been withdrawn at Waverley in 2011, so one can only assume if I am right that it was a temporary exhibit.

Search "m/o 2769" in the search function and make sure that "Registration" is selected.
http://fleetlists.busaustralia.com/indb ... =&reqtype=

m/o 2769 in 2005
http://www.businterchange.com/busint/open.cgi?id=362

Not much help to your original question about photos at the museum, I know, so sorry about that.
The One & Only

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”