NSW Electric Bus Plan

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
tonyp

Re: NSW Electric Bus Plan

Post by tonyp »

https://www.busnews.com.au/industry-new ... ment-e-bus

No additional information here apart from photos. Funnily enough, contrary to the comments made by Constance, CD Element still doesn't appear on the panel list of suppliers as published on the TfNSW website. On the other hand, Bustech's as yet non-existent ZDi Mark 2 electric bus has been on the list for ages.

Trying to total the number of electric buses in service or about to be delivered in NSW, from Fleetlists or news:

Busways: 6 Elements Total 6
Interline: 1 BCI, 9 Yutong Total 10
Transdev: 3 BYD (Volgren) Total 3
Transit Systems: 1 Yutong, 15 BYD (Gemilang) Total 16

(Demonstrators not counted in totals. These are currently, I think, one Yutong at Busways Coffs Harbour and one roving Element.)

So I hand it to you Campbelltown busboy, there are 35. More Yutongs than I thought.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: Funnily enough, contrary to the comments made by Constance, CD Element still doesn't appear on the panel list of suppliers as published on the TfNSW website.
Clearly it has been approved by TfNSW, evidenced by Busways having ordered (and hence TfNSW will be the owner) 6 examples.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Clearly it's been approved but not listed.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Transit Systems second batch of BYD Gemilangs have entered service, also out of Leichhardt depot. These ones have a slightly altered seating layout and the seats are the typical ‘bench’ seating we’re all used to rather than the individual seats in the original trial BYD’s.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:47 pm Transit Systems second batch of BYD Gemilangs have entered service, also out of Leichhardt depot. These ones have a slightly altered seating layout and the seats are the typical ‘bench’ seating we’re all used to rather than the individual seats in the original trial BYD’s.
I had my first ride in one yesterday, one with the individual seats, and it seemed like they were lower than the usual seats, seemingly designed for smaller people.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:10 am
I had my first ride in one yesterday, one with the individual seats, and it seemed like they were lower than the usual seats, seemingly designed for smaller people.
Yutong takes that one step further with seats for legless people.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Interline has a Custom Element demonstrator a photo of it was posted in the Interline past and present Facebook group by a group member that actually drive for Interline 2 hours ago the rego is m/o 5486
tbohlsennswssrg

Post by tbohlsennswssrg »

m/o 8186 (transdev) near Macquarie Centre:

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pid=19738
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

tbohlsennswssrg wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:52 pm m/o 8186 (transdev) near Macquarie Centre:

Very nice! Looks much better than the Gemilang version. Now all TfNSW needs to do is expand the bus procurement panel to include 18m electric artics as well. Unfortunately as we see in the BYD chassis, the battery packs at the back take up a chunk of space that ultimately turns the bus into more of a midi-bus with less capacity than a typical 12m diesel rigid
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Punchbowl has taken loan of a Gemilang BYD - 8107 from Transit Systems.
hito

Re: Private Bus Observations 2021

Post by hito »

Saw a Gemilang electric bus (missed the registration, damned shame) running 940 in Hurstville, to Bankstown (desto Bankstown 940)... I don't think it's on the fleet lists yet? Can anyone narrow down which bus it may be? I'll see if I can spot it again today.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

See previous post
Living in the Shire.
hito

Post by hito »

Neato, thanks. I couldn't believe my eyes for a second when I saw it.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:36 am Interline has a Custom Element demonstrator a photo of it was posted in the Interline past and present Facebook group by a group member that actually drive for Interline 2 hours ago the rego is m/o 5486
This is Custom Denning's first Element demonstrator that started with State Transit. It continues Joe Oliveri's plan to test models that have separate motor and diff - he doesn't like the higher maintenance associated with the hub-motored BYD. So now he's got BCI, Yutong and Custom Denning. The only ones still in the pipeline with the same drive arrangement are Bustech and Volvo/Volgren.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

https://www.custombus.com.au/industry-n ... -approved/
18 Jun Element now panel #3 approved!
Posted at 23:18h in Electric Bus, Element, Industry News by admin

The Australian made battery electric bus “Element” is now Transport for NSW procurement panel approved and available for purchase by NSW metropolitan bus operators.

A bus that has been in development for a number of years, Element is capable of replacing diesel buses immediately.

With 4 x prototype demonstration models in service since November 2020, these buses have been placed with various operators outperforming all expectations in terms of reliability, range, and energy consumption, and having partnered with Siemens, Custom Denning now have a larger range of services to offer.

Element is now available for order with production models already on line and due for delivery from July 2021.

Please contact one of our friendly staff to learn more.
Living in the Shire.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

CRRC has quietly entered the Australian bus market? - I believe they are headquartered in Brisbane

http://www.teg-australia.com/category/teg/
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

idontknow556 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:07 am CRRC has quietly entered the Australian bus market? - I believe they are headquartered in Brisbane

http://www.teg-australia.com/category/teg/
Good luck to anybody taking on a distributorship for Chinese buses now in the current very hostile public and political environment, especially now that three local manufacturers of electric buses have emerged. It's already caused a big stir in Brisbane. Yes, CRRC manufactures electric buses. There've entered the European market but are only a minor player. They're also in NZ. I suspect their 12 metre will be a low-entry bus only but I haven't found a reliable interior photo or specs yet to conform.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

The buses CRRC has produced for the NZ market so far (excluding the early electric double deckers in Wellington) are low entry. There are a handful on the CityLINK in Auckland and three axle versions waiting to enter service in Wellington.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:36 am Interline has a Custom Element demonstrator a photo of it was posted in the Interline past and present Facebook group by a group member that actually drive for Interline 2 hours ago the rego is m/o 5486
Spotted in Service Yesterday, Running 851 and 871, Same Paint Job as the first bus trialed at STA, Premier Illawarra and Red Bus Service where its currently at, Is this just a another demo running around or is it theirs?
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

BAMBAM wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:40 am Spotted in Service Yesterday, Running 851 and 871, Same Paint Job as the first bus trialed at STA, Premier Illawarra and Red Bus Service where its currently at, Is this just a another demo running around or is it theirs?
The guy that posted the photo of the Element demo to the Interline Facebook group last week replied to a comment of a photo of the same bus in Casula that he posted in the group yesterday that Interline only have the Element demo for 2 or 3 weeks
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

Hino will launch an electric version of the Poncho in Spring 2022 I believe. Though don't expect to see them in Sydney anytime soon.

https://www.hino-global.com/corp/news/2 ... 02946.html
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

BLK (Bonluck) Auto are now also advertising full electric and hydrogen fuel cell bus options.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Slightly off topic

Does anyone know if the element will be built to European width for the export market or to Australian specifications?

Is the New Scania Citywide Electric bus will be available in Australia? Or the Scania Fencer F1 range of buses.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:59 pm Slightly off topic

Does anyone know if the element will be built to European width for the export market or to Australian specifications?

Is the New Scania Citywide Electric bus will be available in Australia? Or the Scania Fencer F1 range of buses.
The width isn't mentioned here, but what is the UK width anyway?

https://www.route-one.net/news/custom-d ... k-in-2022/

No announcement about the Scania electric. They would have to develop a suitable RHD chassis. At 20 tonnes GVM it sounds like a monster:

https://www.scania.com/content/dam/scan ... de-bev.pdf

I don't know anything about the Fencer, but as a diesel bus (at best hybrid) and low-entry only, it sounds far from "futureproof"! More like obsolescent.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”