NSW Electric Bus Plan

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
moa999

Re: NSW Electric Bus Plan

Post by moa999 »

Saw a tweet that m/o 6520 was operating on route 31 in the gong last night.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Yes it's been running random rosters, no notice, no tracking and Premier is one of those companies that doesn't give out information over the phone. Unless it settles in on the shuttle for a while it will be impossible to pin down. I do talk to drivers but they don't know either unless they see it on the road. A far cry from the old days of dealing with private companies. Nowadays TfNSW tells them to shut up and channel all enquirers through TfNSW where of course you just get one of those swamp responses.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Why are the Yutong electric buses from Interline being shown as O405NH Ctaros on AnyTrip. This happened to me yesterday morning when the 865 I caught witch was the Yutong came up as a Ctaro on AnyTrip
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

It's because they use trackers from the withdrawn Citaroes.

There's also an Interline Yutong known as a Mercedes Sprinter
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:48 pm Why are the Yutong electric buses from Interline being shown as O405NH Ctaros on AnyTrip. This happened to me yesterday morning when the 865 I caught witch was the Yutong came up as a Ctaro on AnyTrip
See the post before yours - this is a problem with all operators.
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: Premier is one of those companies that doesn't give out information over the phone.
Probably because they got sick of being badgered by bus nuts wanting to know where their favourite bus was. :oops:
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Fleet Lists wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:29 pm
See the post before yours - this is a problem with all operators.
Certainly eliminates the credibility of the system for identifying vehicles.
Linto63 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:21 am Probably because they got sick of being badgered by bus nuts wanting to know where their favourite bus was. :oops:
I used to run a business, I know how a business should and should not deal with customers. Plus it's about far more than somebody wanting to know where a particular bus is. I've seen some pretty shocking instances where wider groups of the public and a wider range of matters are concerned. The general picture I get is that a general apathy has developed since TfNSW took control of everything. I've seen directly how brutally TfNSW will come down on any private operator trying to show too much of a human face to the public. It's sort of turned the whole show into another STA - that is, the public service and all that goes with that (i.e. lack of public service). The privates have to keep to themselves to protect themselves for next time contracts are reviewed.

The drivers are the good public face of bus operations and all operators owe a great debt to them, but drivers don't get much information from the back office, not do most front offices. It's not a sector that's a good example of the private business ethos of putting the customer first and it's not really the private operators' fault. It's what you get when the public service wades in too far and they're the ones who spout the bs about "the customer is the centre of everything we do". Yeah right.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The Element is now on the NSW Procurement Panel. I suspect that Busways has purchased theirs.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

That is not numbered in the 13xx series but as 7012, and carries similar branding above the window line to 6520 would indicate Busways have a demonstrator.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Linto63 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:46 am That is not numbered in the 13xx series but as 7012, and carries similar branding above the window line to 6520 would indicate Busways have a demonstrator.
I know it isn't in Busways 1300 registration series, but neither is MO 5471 the number of either of the two demonstrators to date (7012 is I presume Busways fleet number).
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Busways number their buses in sequential ascending order, with the most recent deliveries in the 13xx series. According to the fleet list, the 3 buses previously in the 70xx range were all demonstrators, so would appear 7012 is likewise.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

idontknow556 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:02 pm I just noticed an unusual bus type on Anytrip running on Busways Route 791- Scania L113CRB - Could that be Element 7012?
Yes as mentioned by me in the private operators post. I don't think it's made it to Mt druitt or Richmond yet from observations.

7012 implies it's a demonstrator as all busways demo's are in that range except for the withdrawn 1302.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

I noticed it on Anytrip doing a 770 to and from Mount Druitt this morning followed by a 783
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

idontknow556 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:15 pm I noticed it on Anytrip doing a 770 to and from Mount Druitt this morning followed by a 783
And how do you know it was the Element? Nothing identifies it except speculation.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

The element shows as a Scania Orana on tripview baring in mind busways don't have any of them at Penrith it's pretty easy to work out.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Stonesourscotty wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:28 pm The element shows as a Scania Orana on tripview baring in mind busways don't have any of them at Penrith it's pretty easy to work out.
Thank you, I'll bear that in mind. Now I need to figure out what the Wollongong one is disguised as. It makes a mockery of ID'ing vehicles!
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/7253 ... ctric-bus/

Transdev introduces electric bus on route 971 between Hurstville and Cronulla

Murray Trembath

May 14 2021 - 3:20PM

The first zero-emissions, electric powered bus on a privately operated route in St George and Sutherland Shire will enter service next week.

The Transdev bus will operate from the company's Kingsgrove depot on route 970 between Hurstville and Cronulla, via Blakehurst, Sylvania, Miranda and Caringbah.

The bus has a capacity of 61 passengers - 39 sitting, 22 standing - and can travel up to 300 kilometres without the battery needing to be recharged.

Pupils from Cronulla Public School and Oyster Bay Public School joined state MPs Mark Speakman and Eleni Petinos, Sutherland Shire mayor Steve Simpson and Transdev chief executive Luke Agati for the launch at Don Lucas Reserve, Wanda on Friday.

Mr Speakman said the state government had made a commitment to transition 8000 diesel and gas buses across the state to zero emission technology over the next decade.

Ms Petinos said, in addition to being much better for the environment than diesel buses, electric vehicles were much quieter.

The performance of the bus will be monitored, with results guiding Transdev's decision on the introduction of more electric buses in the area.

More than 50 electric buses are being introduced in Sydney this year. Many are already operating in the northern, inner west and south west.

Mr Agati said the new zero emission buses were not only a cleaner way to travel, but they were also fitted with on board sensors for monitoring on-road conditions, utilising Transdev's purpose built telematics system, TECA.

"Through TECA, we can gain real-time insights into how our vehicles operate on different routes and in differing conditions, allowing better planning of services and routes to reduce the impact on the environment and improve customer satisfaction," he said.

Features of Transdev's electric buses:

Capacity for 61 passengers - 39 sitting, 22 standing
Up to 300 kilometre range per charge (operating under normal conditions)
348 kWh size lithium ion phosphate battery
Battery fully charged in under 5 hours
Enhanced passenger comfort - reduced noise and vibration
Customised digital signage and on-board display.
Volgren Optimus body integrated with BYD e-bus chassis
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

With such low passenger capacities, the BYD and Yutong chassis must have a bit of weight (axle load) in them.
idontknow556

Post by idontknow556 »

Kingsgrove? I thought 970/971 was operated by Taren Point
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Yes but Kingsgrove also operates some shifts that start and finish at Hurstville.
Transdev does not operate all routes from the same depot. While the 962 is basically operated from Menai, Taren Point operates some shifts starting and finishing at Miranda, while Menai operates some 967 and 968 trips which are normally Taren Point.
Living in the Shire.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

The Interline BCI electric came up as BCI Ciririder BCI EV doing a Liverpool bound 854 in AnyTrip this morning moments after seeing that this 854 was the BCI electric I saw BCI electric m/o 6918 arrive into Liverpool interchange on the last leg of the 6:57am West Hoxton-Liverpool 854
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

A sentence in the Keolis Downer region 8 announcement stating more than 100 new zero-emission buses to be introduced to the area over the next eight years would suggest that the goal of having a 100% electric fleet by 2030 isn't going to be met, with region 8 having 400 buses.
iamthouth

Post by iamthouth »

The KD release specified this as 125, further confirming your point.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

And I suspect the same applies to other regions.
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

As long as diesel buses are still being purchased that will extend the date, unless they retire buses early. Any diesel bus purchased today will still be running in 2040. There's still a lot of work to be done reconfiguring depots for charging large numbers of electric buses. Also I'm not sure if agreement has been reached on standardised charging.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”