NSW Railway Observations 2020

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Linto63

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2020

Post by Linto63 »

Frodo wrote: For citybound trains, another issue to consider is timetabling rather than seating. Most weekday off-peak citybound CCN trains depart Epping 3 min after the suburban train and overtakes it between Epping and West Ryde. Adding Eastwood as a stop for the CCN train would delay the suburban train by another 1-2 min.
If the case is good enough for Eastwood, then the same could probably be made for Pennant Hills, West Ryde and Burwood. So then it just becomes a bit of a farce. The current stopping pattern while not as everybody would like, is a fair middle ground with one stop about every 10km.
BroadGauge wrote: Have you tried socially distancing yourself from other passengers whilst trying to board a train in Sydney lately? From my personal experience, if you don't board the train quickly enough (aka whilst standing shoulder to shoulder with everybody else) then the train guards have no issue with closing the doors in your face.
Social distancing is only possible to a point, but as patronage continues to increase, it becomes less practical to observe.
tonyp wrote: If they were seriously interested in upholding social distancing they would open the centre door as well.
Garbage, but we must not miss any opportunity to wheel out the old back door loading chestnut.🥱
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Noticed this new structure over the end of 9-12 at Central1his morning.
DSC04964 (Small).jpeg
DSC04964 (Small).jpeg (114.04 KiB) Viewed 4532 times

I'm sure it wasn't there last Friday; a fellow passenger reckons it wasn't there yesterday morning.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cen ... 55tl7.html
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Linto63 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:47 pmGarbage,
Common sense.
Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

I have this photo of the structure dated Friday 04 Sep 2020 (13:57), so at least this part must have been installed by then :wink:

boronia

Post by boronia »

Got a mention on Ch 9 News tonite, with the mandatory appearance from Andrew.
@ The Museum of Fire.
User37800

Post by User37800 »

so there goes the fine looks of that sandstone building niether building compliments each other. why could they not use the empty underground station of the ESR at central????
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

bus3533 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:12 pm so there goes the fine looks of that sandstone building niether building compliments each other. why could they not use the empty underground station of the ESR at central????
I think it looks fantastic. Central was originally designed to have a train shed roof. The existing platform canopies have been "temporary" for over 110 years! This at least goes a small way towards rounding off that design.
boronia

Post by boronia »

bus3533 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:12 pm so there goes the fine looks of that sandstone building niether building compliments each other. why could they not use the empty underground station of the ESR at central????
I think that has been sacrificed for the new entrance on the east side of Chalmers St.

There might be problems getting the line above the ESR and CC tracks between Martin Place and Central?, There will be at least one more metro line to incorporate into the new complex; presumably they would want them adjacent?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

boronia wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:12 am
I think that has been sacrificed for the new entrance on the east side of Chalmers St.

There might be problems getting the line above the ESR and CC tracks between Martin Place and Central?, There will be at least one more metro line to incorporate into the new complex; presumably they would want them adjacent?
From what I've read recently, it's probably unlikely that the spare platforms 26 & 27 on the upper level under Chalmers St will ever be used for new rail lines. Part of the platform space is to be used for plant and equipment to service the new metro platforms and there's also some doubt about whether they would meet current fire safety standards for emergency egress, but I'm not sure about that. Platforms 24 & 25 on the lower level which are currently in use as part of the ESR would be similarly affected.

Platforms 26 & 27 were originally intended for an extension of the line from the unused platforms 1 & 2 on the upper level at Wynyard (from the Harbour Bridge eastern lanes) through to Redfern and the Inner Southern suburbs. However, building encroachments on the alignment in later years meant that it was no longer feasible.

There wouldn't be a problem in getting a potential line on a different alignment above the ESR as it is already on a higher level and it was intended to pass below the CC between Central and Museum as part of the original scheme. I'm not sure how it would be affected by the Cross City road tunnel though.

It's a great shame that the foresight of past rail planners, including Bradfield, has been squandered by successive Governments over the decades for short term political reasons with little if any consideration of the impacts for longer term planning. Imagine what could have been achieved if Bradfield's original plans for rail alignments in the CBD and the inner suburbs had been left intact. At least the Iemma Labor Government had the good sense to belatedly preserve potential rail corridors through the CBD by restricting development in close proximity to them.

While I have long advocated a diversion of the Airport Line from the CC at Central to the unused platforms 26 & 27 and through to a new terminus at Martin Place or the unused St James centre platforms, that would no longer seem to be an option for reasons expressed above.

I agree that there will be at least one more metro line with platforms adjacent to those currently under construction beneath the terminal platforms. I also wouldn't rule out new underground platforms for a City Relief Line as part of the existing network. The most recent HSR study had also proposed a 10 platform underground terminus beneath the surface terminal platforms as well.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

bus3533 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:08 pm so there goes the fine looks of that sandstone building niether building compliments each other. why could they not use the empty underground station of the ESR at central????
Might be a slightly worse look from the suburban platforms.
But it's going to be light, bright, and you'll be able to see much more of the sandstone building from within the station.

Good trade-off.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

moa999 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:24 pm Not sure how new this is as haven't been through in a while but used Martin Place station for the first time in a long while on the weekend.

The cheap looking white box in the concourse that contained the PIDs and formerly ticket machines is gone.

Now replaced by some large ceiling mounted PID screens.
Finally went back and got some pics.
From upper level
From upper level
photostudio_1599990408670.png (296.58 KiB) Viewed 4041 times
From lower concourse
From lower concourse
photostudio_1599990370080.png (255.05 KiB) Viewed 4041 times
And the new entrance
New NE entrance
New NE entrance
photostudio_1599990530637.png (229.4 KiB) Viewed 4041 times
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

MEDIA MISTAKES.....
"It's an even bigger weekend for young racegoers, who will venture to Rosehill Gardens for the Golden Rose meeting tomorrow.....before falling ONTO THE TRAIN torn asunder with disappointment............" (Andrew Webster's column, Sydney Morning Herald, 25-9-20)

They'll be even further disappointed if they venture onto the train platform!
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

MURWILLUMBAH LINE
Aparently the corridor is being threatened again, in the NSW Parliament.

Look at https://abigailboyd.good.do/dontripupou ... v=83ffc974
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

Somehow the T3 stops at Newtown, Parramatta and Leppington (picture taken at Newtown)
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
boronia

Post by boronia »

I understand that Fire & Rescue NSW has obtained a couple of "carriages" for use at their new Training Academy at Orchard Hills. A sizable length of track has been laid within the complex. Delivery is expected Nov-Dec.

I wonder what they will get?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I know B-sets have been operating on the T1 and T9 as replacements at times, but this weekend there is a B set that's scheduled to do T1/T9 runs.

Also with CCN trackwork and trackwork between Hornsby and Berowra this weekend, there are no late night services showing up for Asquith/Mt Colah/Mt Ku-ring-gai for Sunday and Monday nights, past around 10pm. This is probably the third or fourth time that these stations have been omitted from trip planning during CCN trackwork.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

boronia wrote: I understand that Fire & Rescue NSW has obtained a couple of "carriages" for use at their new Training Academy at Orchard Hills.

I wonder what they will get?
V set power cars probably, there are a couple of DCMs at Maintrain that have been used as parts sources and I believe 2 power cars from the ATP Y sets won't run again.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

B26 is on Leppington to Olympic Park services this evening Double new intercity train d103/d3? has just gone through Lidcombe Penrith bound.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

https://youtu.be/WH6bmzbHJ5c
ATP equipment spotted on M-Set? (one seat replaced)
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Dit 9135 on v set 49 has had two windows put through showing as a 3 car set on tripview but operating with all 4 carriages.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Not uncommon for individual cars in a set to be isolated.

But good that TripView is kept up to date.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

No trains south of Sutherland due to fire close to the track on the national park side of the line at Waterfall
boxythingy

Post by boxythingy »

What does the sound of a whistle mean? Does it mean the doors are about to close or they are closing? If it's the former, why would a guard blow it when the doors have just opened wide enough for people to even start boarding? (they have not set one foot into the carriage interior)
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

boxythingy wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:39 pm What does the sound of a whistle mean?
The train is departing. Stand clear.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
boxythingy

Post by boxythingy »

What? So the passengers who have waited for that train should not board but wait for the next one?

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”