Newcastle Transport

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
burrumbus

Re: Newcastle Transport

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks Newcastle Flyer.
The buses featured in the video are a mid sized BCI ,which were new for those on demand services.Just too big for the loadings carried in my opinion.A Hino Poncho or Rosa would do the job adequately.
Have a great night.
Newcastle Flyer

These aren't improvements, they're "UNIMPROVEMENTS"

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

They've also cut some services on other routes BESIDES routes 41, 43 & 48 as well.
Increase in some of the travel times as well on most routes.

Edit 02:33 Tu 18 Jun 2019: Keolis Downer said other routes will have NO changes except for some timings.
Have any of the routes changed?

Other than the expansion of the On Demand service south to include Redhead, Jewells, Floraville, Croudace Bay, Valentine, Belmont North and Belmont, there are no changes to the existing routes or existing operating hours.

All timetables have been adjusted to improve reliability.
That is a Lie. Keolis Downer have removed some services on other routes that are NOT 41, 43 or 48.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Could you point to an example?
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

Newcastle Flyer wrote: That is a Lie. Keolis Downer have removed some services on other routes that are NOT 41, 43 or 48.
Did a quick look, it's a mixed bag where some routes end later or end earlier during the afternoon

I didn't see any notices of reduced services expect those advertised. 11 and 14 looks like they have one extra service during the peak
Newcastle Flyer

Mandonov, compare the current & new route 14.

The first weekday route 14 has been deleted, BUT it does look like it MAY have an extra 14 somewhere that I think I've noticed that I can't find at the moment.

I'm NOT saying the 11 to 14 & ferry are not good service most of the time.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Newcastle Flyer

Newcastle Flyer wrote:The first weekday route 14 has been deleted
I was in a hurry this morning, it's Sunday inward.
White lives matter too.
Yerolo

Post by Yerolo »

Don't expect any extensions to the Newcastle LR any time soon.....I fear that the Newcastle LR will remain as it is as simply a Hunter St shuttle rather than the beginnings of a new useful form of Transport around Newcastle.

"The government's spending pledges for 2019-20 did not include money to examine Newcastle light rail extensions or the proposed Broadmeadow sports and entertainment precinct."

Link: https://www.theherald.com.au/story/6223 ... ing/?cs=12

It has been open for 4mths now and nothing has progressed past the "maybe we will plan something for it" stage whereas the Canberra Light Rail for comparison had a 25 year vision and 4 extensions in consideration even before it opened.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

So it's a pacifier for the closure of the railway so
parasites *cough* developers can make their profits before moving into their next quarry.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I don't think there's a critical necessity to consider extension of the Newcastle tram just yet. A statement of intent and some broad corridor planning is all that's needed now. The situation in Canberra is quite different.
ed24

Post by ed24 »

Swift wrote:So it's a pacifier for the closure of the railway so
parasites *cough* developers can make their profits before moving into their next quarry.
Was there any reason this couldn't have been achieved by putting the railway underground though - would the cost have this have been much more than the light rail network considering they could have used cut and cover?
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

ed24 wrote:
Swift wrote:So it's a pacifier for the closure of the railway so
Was there any reason this couldn't have been achieved by putting the railway underground though - would the cost have this have been much more than the light rail network considering they could have used cut and cover?
That would have been a sensible outcome, but it didn't suit the development lobby or the biased opinion of the Hunter Development Corporation. It would still achieve the objective of opening up the inner city to the waterfront, but would have compromised development over an underground rail corridor, which is really what they were after.

The long term accessibility to the CBD for local and regional travellers was secondary.
The fact that there is no provision in the forward estimates, even for future planning, suggests that there is no plan to extend the light rail line, which could have justified its construction in the first place. It's absurd that an existing rail line into the CBD has been abandoned. Newcastle should learn from Auckland, where they are now extending the suburban rail network into the CBD after previously abandoning it.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Cost would have been way more
And done for the same reason Sydney has duplicated the route of an underground rail

More stops over given distance
People don't like going underground for short journeys, street running far more convenient
Stops are unstaffed
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

moa999 wrote:Cost would have been way more
And done for the same reason Sydney has duplicated the route of an underground rail

More stops over given distance
People don't like going underground for short journeys, street running far more convenient
Stops are unstaffed
If you believe that the option of undergrounding the line into Newcastle Station with cut and cover was purely based on the cost, then you are incredibly naive. It may have cost more, but it would have been better in the long term interest of Newcastle and the Hunter Region as a whole. Unless the Disneyland light rail is extended, it"s a complete waste of resources. It's a complete furphy that it has the advantage of providing more stopping options along Hunter Street, compared with the previous rail service, when existing bus services provide even more. When the previous rail into the CBD existed, travellers could still have interchanged to a bus to reach intermediate destinations.
Last edited by Transtopic on Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

For me, the problem is crap frequency at times I like to travel.

For a single-seat ride, frequency is not so important. You can plan your trip according to the timetable, if services are infrequent.

Once one is forced to interchange, frequency becomes important. Or at least, coordination of services.

The implementation of the tram has effectively doubled travel time from the vicinity of old Newcastle station to Maitland or to Cardiff. It's a sick joke.
Yerolo

Post by Yerolo »

neilrex wrote:For me, the problem is crap frequency at times I like to travel.

For a single-seat ride, frequency is not so important. You can plan your trip according to the timetable, if services are infrequent.

Once one is forced to interchange, frequency becomes important. Or at least, coordination of services.

The implementation of the tram has effectively doubled travel time from the vicinity of old Newcastle station to Maitland or to Cardiff. It's a sick joke.
...and according to opal data there is a downward trend since the Feb opening. 4,259 / day in the opening month and 3,933 / day in April. I haven't found any opal data past April (I haven't looked too hard but I will assume the downward trend is continuing)

The new apartments and university being built may improve patronage...but if it doesn't, it is hard to see what the future lies for NLR especially seeing as though it will not be extended any time in the near future. The running costs of the LR would depend on a certain level of patronage to be feasible. We may see it tarred over within the next 20 years. History repeating itself...
facm337

Post by facm337 »

I wish the alternate route 11 services that terminate at Jesmond will be extended to Charlestown, to provide a 15min frequency along the entire route. The loadings are very decent at that end with Charlestown Square and John Hunter Hospital being big patronage generators. Surely doing this is a no brainer, especially since there's no extra drivers/buses required. I mean even route 13 has a 15min frequency all day to Glendale, which is a much quieter suburb than Charlestown.
Newcastle Flyer

Too many pages to go back to, but someone asked what the loading is like on the trams, um ur light-rail.

This was a Sunday

Usually about 20 - 25 passengers, of course that also will vary.
White lives matter too.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

How does that compare to the previous train-replacement buses?
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

First autonomous bus has arrived at Newcastle Transport, love in the clip how it's being operated by an xbox controller :)

https://www.nbnnews.com.au/2019/07/10/d ... tle-roads/

Dereg MAN Ansair also seen in the background of the same video, front bumper missing. Might take a trip to Hamilton depot ASAP to see if I can spot the Autonomous bus around
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

Further information on the driveless trial

http://newcastle.nsw.gov.au/Council/New ... ss-vehicle
“We are planning for passengers to be able to take in views of the City’s harbour along the proposed 2km loop service, from Watt Street along Wharf Road to Nobbys and back, making it very appealing to tourists. A larger circuit will include some of Newcastle’s other beachside destinations after a couple of months.”
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

So I went to the Hamilton Depot before 9AM this morning and couldn't see the autonomous bus sitting anywhere in the yard from a street view (not sure if it was moved to the back or anything after yesterday) I later around 12:30 PM went around the planned area where the trial is going to be running and it didn't show up, so the trial isn't ready yet or it was still sitting somewhere.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The article does say: "Over the next month, we will complete a rigorous safety testing program, on road and off road, to prepare the vehicle for customer services," So dont be in a hurry.
Living in the Shire.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

So being that's it's the 22nd of August now, has anyone actually heard more on the Autonomous bus trial?

I was near Nobbys beach last week and didn't see it, it was actually a perfect day for it to be running. Oddly the Herald and KD is silent if it is being run but I can't show up if I don't know it's being run.
Newcastle Flyer

If not an error, 78 minutes late for a late bus!

I'm only going what anytrip.com.au showed today, but IF the Any trip information was correct (sometimes it's not), would this be a new "record" of lateness for a commuter bus - 78 minutes? (Yes, seventy-eight!)
(Edit: No, I don't think it maybe, I think the lateness may have been years ago was about 90 minutes late!)

According to anytrip it stayed for over an hour at King & Bolton Sts bus stop.

IF the bus did it's full run and wasn't cancelled, according to Anytrip that left Newcastle Station/Customs House at 11:45, and arrived Swansea Heads at 14:15 - 2 and half hours later!

Without the seconds included, just some examples of what Anytrip had for this bus.
  • Newcastle, C/House 11:46
    King & Bolton arrive 11:49 depart 13:04
    The Junction 13:16
    Charlestown (Frederick St) 13:39
    Belmont Shops 13:57
    Swansea Shops 14:04
    Swansea Heads 14:15!
White lives matter too.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

City of Newcastle has called tenders for the fit-out of the former Civic station building, including "decorative ceiling" air conditioning, street line-marking and signage. (SMHerald, 17.9.19)

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”