DGT Leylands to Canberra

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
LB608

DGT Leylands to Canberra

Post by LB608 »

What Year was it that the Department of Government Transport Lent Leyland 31 seaters (Frogs) to Canberra,? they Lent 15 AEC 31 seaters to Brisbane in 1963.
These are the ones that I know went to Canberra 2594 2596 2600 2606 2609 2631 2632 2633 2637 2656 2658 2659 there maybe more.
Last edited by LB608 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowra
Favourite Vehicle: Old ones.

Re: Question Time

Post by Cowra »

LB608 wrote:What Year was it that the Department of Government Transport Lent Leyland 31 seaters (Frogs) to Canberra,? they Lent 15 AEC 31 seaters to Brisbane in 1963.
City to Suburb notes that six Leyland 31-seaters left for Canberra in February 1974, and were returned between August and December of that year.
Ringer of bus bells and tram gongs.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Question Time

Post by Fleet Lists »

Our disposal lists http://fleetlists.busaustralia.com/stad ... arch=LOPS2

give the answer with each bus concerned showing
Was loaned to Department of the Capital Territory - Canberra Bus Service in1974 during bus shortage
I have also changed the subject of this thread to something more meaningful.
Living in the Shire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: DGT Leylands to Canberra

Post by Swift »

Why does NSW carry the weight for other states' bus problems?
Brisbane with the AEC frogs.
Canberra with the Leyland versions.
Melbourne with UTA Leopards.
Brisbane using STA Mercedes mark IIs and ex Action 0305s inherited from N&W takeover.
I cannot recall the sight of Melbourne MET Volvo B59s on Victoria Rd services or Brissy Panthers doing 380s from the City to Dover Heights. :!:
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I dont recall Sydney have any problems of a magnitude which would have required the use of interstate buses. If they had they probably would have had some interstate buses.
Living in the Shire.
ross johnson

Post by ross johnson »

I remember as a kid in the early to mid 1950's there was a problem with the axles on AEC DDs..cracked I think. I lived at the time in Oberon St Coogee on Rte 399 MARTIN PLACE [ which then with the commencement of railwork under that location and a weight limit being applied for road vehicles,] changed to terminating in MACQUARIE ST CITY. In the AM peak a number of short workings on 399 began at the corner of Cox St and Oberon St, as the buses from the outer terminus of 399 [MAROUBRA BEACH ] were overcrowded. As was my custom then, I would often pause on my walk in Oberon St to watch the front destos being changed on these shortworking- trip buses. One particular morning, 'foreign' signs appeared as the driver wound the roll down to blank at the bottom...I later found out these were NEWCASTLE signs , and the buses were back up for the AEC's then out of service. This went on for some weeks as I remember.

Soon I was to experience my first ride on a Leyland decker and thought how smooth it was after the AEC's ,which seemed always seemed 'jerky' when the gears were changing.

All this was 60 years ago, yet I remember it like yesterday.

This is the only time I can remember 'foreign' (sort of) buses assisting in Sydney.
rOjO43
bussie

Post by bussie »

ross johnson wrote:I remember as a kid in the early to mid 1950's there was a problem with the axles on AEC DDs..cracked I think. I lived at the time in Oberon St Coogee on Rte 399 MARTIN PLACE [ which then with the commencement of railwork under that location and a weight limit being applied for road vehicles,] changed to terminating in MACQUARIE ST CITY. In the AM peak a number of short workings on 399 began at the corner of Cox St and Oberon St, as the buses from the outer terminus of 399 [MAROUBRA BEACH ] were overcrowded. As was my custom then, I would often pause on my walk in Oberon St to watch the front destos being changed on these shortworking- trip buses. One particular morning, 'foreign' signs appeared as the driver wound the roll down to blank at the bottom...I later found out these were NEWCASTLE signs , and the buses were back up for the AEC's then out of service. This went on for some weeks as I remember.

Soon I was to experience my first ride on a Leyland decker and thought how smooth it was after the AEC's ,which seemed always seemed 'jerky' when the gears were changing.

All this was 60 years ago, yet I remember it like yesterday.

This is the only time I can remember 'foreign' (sort of) buses assisting in Sydney.
Newcastle has helped Sydney in relatively recent times such as when the NH gas buses had a steering issue.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

That's not a fair comparison in this context because it is all part of the same "company".
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

For those of you who do not think that Sydney has needed buses from interstate I have just two words for you.....Olympic games.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The buses for the Games were a big charter job, not a boost for the STA fleet.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

The STA had to step in for them in alot of instances due to lack of any real coordination with all the different private bus companies from NSW and interstate in the ill fated Bus 2000 programme.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”