Parramatta light rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
ed24

Re: Parramatta light rail

Post by ed24 »

There's still no guarantee that Stage 2 will actually happen any time soon - things have stalled as far as I can tell.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

Announced tonight stage 2 light rail from PARRAMATTA TO AUBURN VIA OLYMPIC PARK. TO REPLACED BY B1 double decker buses instead! they have stated there's NO money to built!. Parramatta council and THE OLYMPIC PARK TRUST are not happy.
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

captainch wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:35 pm Announced tonight stage 2 light rail from PARRAMATTA TO AUBURN VIA OLYMPIC PARK. TO REPLACED BY B1 double decker buses instead! they have stated there's NO money to built!. Parramatta council and THE OLYMPIC PARK TRUST are not happy.
Which means it will never be built. I thought as much. Hopefully that opens the door for a future Stage 2 when funding is available, branching from the Carlingford Line at Dundas along Kissing Point Rd to Macquarie Park via Eastwood, which should have been built in the first place. It was after all the preferred option in Parramatta Council's original independent feasibility study, until it was buried when TfNSW took over.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Do we have any reference for this announcement?
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have found this https://www.architectureanddesign.com.a ... il-derails# which is undated as far as I can see.
Parramatta Light Rail cancelled?

Sarah Buckley

The Parramatta Light Rail Stage 2 to Sydney Olympic Park has been terminated due to budget restrictions, a source close to the project has told Architecture & Design.

In 2013, plans for Sydney’s 12km Light Rail connecting Circular Quay and Central via George Street, the Moore Park entertainment precinct, Randwick, UNSW and Prince of Wales Hospital was just one of few Light Rail networks anticipated.

‘Restarting Sydney’s Heart – Light Rail the Engine of Change’ was commissioned by WestLine Partnership and focussed on the possibility of two light rail networks – one from Rosehill to Carlingford and the other from Westmead to Strathfield/Rhodes along the Olympic Corridor.

WestLine spokesperson, Christopher Brown, said in 2015, that the Simpson report indicated that the creation of the inner west Light Rail lines was cost-effective and would benefit Australia’s fastest growing regions.

“The report findings show that there is a strong argument for the route along the Olympic corridor, which will stimulate the growth of more smart jobs, homes and development.”

“This is not a case of one or the other; we feel that the people of Western Sydney deserve both this line and the other line to Carlingford. This report not only reaffirms that view, but also reveals that it could potentially be self-funded by the private sector.”

As the NSW state government released preliminary plans for the second stage extension of the Parramatta Light Rail service in 2017, it was expected to take six years to be completed.

In 2017, NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian noted: “I am pleased to announce Parramatta Light Rail Stage 2 is another step closer to connecting Greater Parramatta to the booming sport, entertainment and employment hub at Sydney Olympic Park.”

However, now according to sources close to the project, the Stage 2 Parramatta CBD to Sydney Olympic Park has been cancelled due to a range of cost and other prohibitive reasons.

Transport for NSW commented on the termination claims by saying: "The Final Business Case for the second stage of Parramatta Light Rail is being considered by the NSW Government, with an investment decision to follow."
As there is a question mark in the heading there is still some uncertainly about it. And Google search shows a date Feb 25, 2020 so from that it would appear to be old news.
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

It was on Channel 7 news tonight. Yet to be confirmed by Cabinet. Bridge at Wentworth Point still to be built. Double decker buses instead.
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

Here's a FB link to the 7news report from this evening: https://fb.watch/1miQyLaduM/

And this is EXACTLY the sort of stuff I was going on about in another post and it seems my fears have been realised! If they can't even commit to this now, what hope do other possible tramway extensions have?! From both sides of government?!
swtt

Post by swtt »

COVID well and truly, made a huge dent in the finances.

Having said that, "B-line style double deckers" were also promised for a Parramatta Road B-line from Homebush to the City. That's still yet to materialise - though the advent of 461X and increases in frequency, is a step closer.
Rails

Post by Rails »

I do recall that 9 news ran a report that the Airport Metro was indefinitely delayed to concentrate funds for other lines. Shortly after that report, the Government announced that it was actually this Metro being built first. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this did get chopped which would be a shame. I am actually expecting a renewed focus on roads thanks to Covid..
385BUZ
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren Optimus

Post by 385BUZ »

This whole thing about the parramatta light rail stage 2 being cancelled is a real shame. That line would have been so benefitial to Western Sydney. As roads continue to see increased congestion, the focus needs to be on rail solutions such as Light Rail and Metro (for sydney at least). We can still heavily rely on buses but ultimately for busy areas rail is the way to go.
Regards,
385BUZ

TransLink Route 385. Bus Upgrade Zone.

If you need to contact me privately, please email: 385buz@gmail.com
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I'm not convinced of the need for light rail on this route, even with big development. West Metro will provide the direct connection between Olympic Park and Parramatta, leaving the rest of the corridor as a local feeder. I would consider the task appropriate for ultimately servicing by artics - but double deck buses? There's obviously some sort of enthusiast agenda at work there: choose your favourite bus type regardless of its unsuitability for the work. The main thing I'd question with the bus option is how they get to Parramatta at the western end given UWS is in the way and there's no river crossing for buses. I assume they would have to go up to Victoria Rd.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Maybe they are going to put the metro east Sydney CBD to WSA with stations at Olympic park and Parramatta to get the Parramatta voters rather then prop up the shonky property developers.

This will ensure they stay in power next state election.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
385BUZ
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren Optimus

Post by 385BUZ »

Why was the Light Rail from Parramatta to the CBD via Parramatta Rd ruled out back in 2014? I honestly think this would have been quite beneficial to Sydney's Public Transport infastructure.
Regards,
385BUZ

TransLink Route 385. Bus Upgrade Zone.

If you need to contact me privately, please email: 385buz@gmail.com
eddy

Post by eddy »

385BUZ wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:13 am Why was the Light Rail from Parramatta to the CBD via Parramatta Rd ruled out back in 2014? I honestly think this would have been quite beneficial to Sydney's Public Transport infastructure.
The overwhelming demand of Parramatta voters was to get to the eastern CBD fast with a Metro.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

385BUZ wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:13 am Why was the Light Rail from Parramatta to the CBD via Parramatta Rd ruled out back in 2014? I honestly think this would have been quite beneficial to Sydney's Public Transport infastructure.
The proposal wasn't from Parramatta, it was from somewhere around Leichhardt. Going from Parramatta at TfNSW's preferred tram performance level would have required sleeper and dining cars! All sorts of ideas have been bandied around. A couple made it to fruition, others didn't. I'd say the government has gone off further ideas at this stage after the CSELR angst. Metro is most important for quite a few years ahead now.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I do recall one proposal for an LR line out as far as Homebush, but probably just another council planning dream scenario..
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

385BUZ wrote: Why was the Light Rail from Parramatta to the CBD via Parramatta Rd ruled out back in 2014? I honestly think this would have been quite beneficial to Sydney's Public Transport infastructure.
There have been a thousand proposals to gentrify Parramatta Road over the decades, but none have ever come close to happening. Much like high speed rail it is one of those things that gets dusted off every 4 years just before a state election and then disappears again.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I hope Parramatta Rd never gets gentrified. Sydney has lost enough of it's charm already. Stop bringing in so many foreigners. That traffic sewer should be heritage listed.
Making everything new and shiny just makes you feel like you're in a hospital ward and no one wants to live like that.
A healthy amount of decay does no harm.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
gascoyne

Post by gascoyne »

Apparently the land around the former Carlingford station is being re-zoned and is to carry 640 (sic) home units. That has consequences.

The first is that continuing the light rail under Pennant Hills road to Epping or anywhere else will be all but impossible.

The second is that the Carlingford LR service will be necessary if only to service the 640 so the line can't be altered to go via Eastwood.

And nor can it be split into two branches, one for Carlingford and the other for Macq Park via Eastwood, because halving the service to each couldn't be done acceptably.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

gascoyne wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:13 pm Apparently the land around the former Carlingford station is being re-zoned and is to carry 640 (sic) home units. That has consequences.

The first is that continuing the light rail under Pennant Hills road to Epping or anywhere else will be all but impossible.

The second is that the Carlingford LR service will be necessary if only to service the 640 so the line can't be altered to go via Eastwood.

And nor can it be split into two branches, one for Carlingford and the other for Macq Park via Eastwood, because halving the service to each couldn't be done acceptably.
Do you mean the land in the direct line of the tracks? Because Carlingford Station already has massive apartment blocks in the vicinity.

I'm not in favour of massive infrastructure like long tunnels for tramways because the cost-benefit against the limited capacity is dubious. It's best building that sort of infrastructure for heavy rail. They could encourage development of a major shopping centre at Carlingford. Like Eastgardens (which should be at Maroubra Junction), Carlingford Court is one of those centres conceived in a car-centric era and now marooned like a shag on a rock away from a signicant public transport node.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Yep the culture of mediocrity continues. This was an elaborate way to close this branch line in a politically acceptable manner and build another look at me light rail line and get bragging rights of what they achieved, with minimal expenditure and effort. Now more Mc Towers. Yuck what a mess.
Norgcrappex two lane joke road nearby another disappointment with gimmicky frills in the tunnel. So typically Sydney.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

gascoyne wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:13 pm Apparently the land around the former Carlingford station is being re-zoned and is to carry 640 (sic) home units. That has consequences.

Continuing the light rail from Carlingford to Epping is extremely unlikely because of challenging cost and engineering issues, as the Minister euphemistically put it some time ago. It's disappeared off the radar. As tonyp pointed out, light rail isn't viable if it has to go underground. Even with a short tunnel from Carlingford Station to Carlingford Rd, the latter is for the most part only 4 lanes and would have to be widened to accommodate the light rail tracks, requiring massive property resumption at considerable additional cost. There's also a problem in locating a surface light rail terminus close to Epping Station to allow for convenient interchange with rail services. It's just not worth it. In any event, recent apartment development on Carlingford Rd at Epping makes this impossible.

The Parramatta Light Rail Stage 2 to Olympic Park was intended to branch from the Carlingford light rail route at Rydalmere, but there now appears to be some doubt about whether that will proceed. There would be no impediment to a future branch line, such as the route from Dundas to Macquarie Park via Eastwood, which I would think would have much higher patronage than the existing Carlingford route now under construction.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Transtopic wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:28 pm The Parramatta Light Rail Stage 2 to Olympic Park was intended to branch from the Carlingford light rail route at Rydalmere, but there now appears to be some doubt about whether that will proceed. There would be no impediment to a future branch line, such as the route from Dundas to Macquarie Park via Eastwood, which I would think would have much higher patronage than the existing Carlingford route now under construction.
Wasn't Parramatta light rail stage 2 going to end at Strathfield at one stage then it got cut back to Olympic Park
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:00 pm Wasn't Parramatta light rail stage 2 going to end at Strathfield at one stage then it got cut back to Olympic Park
To the best of my recollection, I think that was when it was proposed to follow the direct route from Camellia on the southern side of the Parramatta River. Metro West virtually made that redundant as it would only be duplicating the metro.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

Would like to see light rail from mcquarie shops-uni-nth ryde-top ryde- medowbank -ermington/silverwater-olympic park. homebush -strathfield stn- burwood.
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”