Wholesale TT changes to George St service (CSELR) 4 Oct 2015

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Stu

Re: Wholesale TT changes to George St service (CSELR) 4 Oct

Post by Stu »

boronia wrote:I noticed some new bus lanes in Elizabeth St, for northbound traffic. Surprisingly, they are in lane 2, even where the buses are going to be in a long crawl between stops in Lane 1.

Apart from the bits which say BUS LANE, the red surface seems to be limited to a thin line on either side of the lane.

THis effectively leaves just one lane for general traffic,
The bus lane on Elizabeth St heading Northbound (between Park & Market St's) used to exist in lane 1, moving the bus lane to lane 2 helps the flow of buses as lane becomes a left turn only into Market St, although the amount of traffic turning both left & right from Elizabeth St into Market St will continue to be of concern.

The new style of bus lane is slowly becoming a common sight as roads are resurfaced and is a new standard from the RMS. This style of bus lane reduces maintenance costs.
simonl

Post by simonl »

Shame it is not a bus only lane but an improvement none the less.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Stu wrote:
The new style of bus lane is slowly becoming a common sight as roads are resurfaced and is a new standard from the RMS. This style of bus lane reduces maintenance costs.
Believe there had also been complaints from drivers about the fully painted lanes being dangerous - slippery when wet - increasing stopping distance.

Think they look good - big fully painted red square at start and end and red lines on both sides in between
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Stu wrote:
And of course, motorists have been advised of this new standard?

So many of them can't see a fully painted lane, what use will a little stripe be?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

moa999 wrote: Believe there had also been complaints from drivers about the fully painted lanes being dangerous - slippery when wet - increasing stopping distance.

Think they look good - big fully painted red square at start and end and red lines on both sides in between
Cyclists have complained about this exact same thing with green painted cycleways.

A similar solution to the problem was used for the new separated cycleways on Castlereagh and Liverpool Streets with green paint only at the cycleway entries, intersections and driveways. That paint has also been mixed with gravel to improve grip.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

boronia wrote: So many of them can't see a fully painted lane, what use will a little stripe be?

Isn't being blind a necessary pre qualification for a driving licence?
boronia

Post by boronia »

Tonymercury wrote:
boronia wrote: So many of them can't see a fully painted lane, what use will a little stripe be?
Isn't being blind a necessary pre qualification for a driving licence?
Perhaps, but having a sense of entitlement to ignore road rules is also up there at the top of the list.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Stu

Post by Stu »

moa999 wrote:
Stu wrote:
Believe there had also been complaints from drivers about the fully painted lanes being dangerous - slippery when wet - increasing stopping distance.

Correct. The original area of concern was along Broadway and Parramatta Rd. The RBTU put this concern toward STA whom then forwarded all relative correspondence to the RMS for investigation. The RMS then replaced/repainted the areas of concern. Only a few months ago the RBTU once again brought to light some more complaints from drivers about the red bus lane paint becoming very slippery in wet conditions, this time from different operating areas. I'm unsure if an entirely new mixture of red paint was formulated or if the same offending mixture of red paint was simply re-applied? During late July, the RMS removed the small section of red bus lane paint from Anzac Pde (Nine Ways) Kingsford - heading towards the City.
Last edited by Stu on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boronia

Post by boronia »

@ The Museum of Fire.
paulbrown3

Post by paulbrown3 »

something i dont think that has been mentioned, what will happen to the city sightseeing services with the george st closure?
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

boronia wrote:And the lasr bus was?:
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/end-of-the-ro ... k0pu2.html
How ironic.The last bus on George Street was a private bus !!!
boronia

Post by boronia »

paulbrown3 wrote:something i dont think that has been mentioned, what will happen to the city sightseeing services with the george st closure?
They will be left to make their own arrangements, I don't think it is being closed in its entirety from today?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

burrumbus wrote:
boronia wrote:And the lasr bus was?:
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/end-of-the-ro ... k0pu2.html
How ironic.The last bus on George Street was a private bus !!!
Looks like N50 from Liverpool.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

boronia wrote:
paulbrown3 wrote:something i dont think that has been mentioned, what will happen to the city sightseeing services with the george st closure?
They will be left to make their own arrangements, I don't think it is being closed in its entirety from today?
Nothing on the Sydney Explorer (as it is known now) website so we will have to wait and see,
Living in the Shire.
CityRail

Post by CityRail »

boronia wrote:
I still see private cars and taxis on George Street today.
Stu

Post by Stu »

The City Sightseeing bus stop at Circular Quay (Stand A) was on Thursday night last week.

Additional info regarding route sharing:
W depot no longer operate routes 348 & 370.
T depot will no longer operate routes 442, 444, 445 & 492.
L depot no longer operate routes 401, 413 & m30.
* (L depot began operating a handful of route 413 AM peak inbound short working trips when the timetable was updated in January 2015)
* (L depot began operating 401 in September last year due to a changes to shifts - huge increase in part time shifts with changes across all depots).

As already reported recently, L depot operate one 466 trip, this will continue to be the case with the new bus network changes now in place.
Last edited by Stu on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

CityRail wrote: I still see private cars and taxis on George Street today.
Today was the day the public transport changes took place. It was not the full closure of the road.
Living in the Shire.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Stu wrote:The City Sightseeing bus stop at Circular Quay (Stand A) was on Thursday night last week.

Additional info regarding route sharing:
W depot no longer operate routes 348 & 370.
T depot will no longer operate routes 442, 444 & 492.
L depot no longer operate routes 401, 413 & m30.
* (L depot began operating a handful of route 413 AM peak inbound short working trips when the timetable was updated in January 2015)
* (L depot began operating 401 in September last year due to a changes to shifts - huge increase in part time shifts with changes across all depots).

As already reported recently, L depot operate one 466 trip, this will continue to be the case with the new bus network changes now in place.
Can you confirm this does M now operate m20 services and does T operate 370 services still.
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ T depot continues to operate 370.
I'll enquire about M depot operating the m20 report back soon. I do know for a fact that Y depot has gained 2 x more m20 trips in the morning peak.
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ Confirmed, M-depot operates the m20 on weekdays only with quite a number of trips. The relief point (driver change) is at Gore Hill terminus for the staff bus.

EDIT: W-depot now operate the 418, only two trips.
simonl

Post by simonl »

Fleet Lists wrote:This is a "fait accompli" No further comments asked for.
Transport Info's official comment re:consultation is that it occurred during the city centre access study. :shock: :lol: :roll:
Stu

Post by Stu »

I don't know why there is a need for this announcement, I thought that this information was already explained in the lead up to the big changes that have just been implemented.
Changes to routes 252, 254, 261, 288 and 292 from 4 October 2015
These services will operate via Lang Park at Wynyard and then to and from King Street Wharf.
These routes will no longer operate beyond Wynyard or QVB.

This new extension will service residents, workers and visitors accessing the new Barangaroo precinct. 

If you need to get to other destinations in the CBD, you can change to other buses or trains at Wynyard.
http://www.sydneybuses.info/news/beach- ... tober-2015
boronia

Post by boronia »

There was a photo/article in the Telegraph during the week about a woman who tried to catch a bus in George St on Tuesday to go to Millers Point, but didn't understand why she waited 15 minutes and no bus came along.
She was in a shelter, and the pink "Bus Stop is closed" sign was clearly visible behind her. But I'll bet there was no information as to where she should go to catch her bus.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

boronia wrote: But I'll bet there was no information as to where she should go to catch her bus.
Actually at most stops there are good signs to redirect you to your new stop (or walk).
boronia

Post by boronia »

Although the 309/310 series start at Railway Sq, I notice signs in Eddy Ave saying they do not stop there.
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”