New Intercity Fleet Purchases/Observation

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Linto63

Re: New Intercity Fleet Purchases/Observation

Post by Linto63 »

rogf24 wrote: Ah, good ole unions. Let's have a snap strike.
According to Fair Work employers are required to give three days notice, before industrial action commences. Seeing that there was no notice given, were TfNSW advised but elect not to advise the public, or did the RBTU break the rules. Either way, somebody needs a kicking.
moa999 wrote: Guards jobs are not long for this world.
As long as their are disabled passengers, unstaffed stations and short platforms, there will be guards.
Campbelltown busboy wrote: This is the same union that is saying that the governments plan to put the remeining 3 STA contracts up for tender will equal to the winning bidders overriding Transport For NSW and have a feild day with cutting the number of stops and services
It's a propaganda campaign, telling porkies goes with the territory.
rogf24 wrote: And more to the point, private operators can't cut services, that power will still be with TfNSW.
Private operators can't cut services, but they can cut standards, e.g Transit Systems keeps its region 6 artics locked up on Sundays, even in summer on services to Coogee, although these have now ceased. By comparison State Transit beefs up its beaches services with artics on its beach services.
tonyp wrote: Tell me what is different about NSW commuter train operation and the same in Perth, Melbourne etc where there is only a driver.
It probably is physically possible, but would be a bun fight that the government may not have the stomach for. Perth started electric operations with 2 car trains, so easier to implement, and Melbourne introduced OMO when the Kennett government was axing tens of thousands of public jobs so a couple of hundred guard jobs probably wasn't a big deal politically. That said staffing every station in Melbourne every night with two cops would cost a bit.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Linto63 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:08 pm It probably is physically possible, but would be a bun fight that the government may not have the stomach for. Perth started electric operations with 2 car trains, so easier to implement ...
There was supposedly a long, bitter fight about electrification when it came to light that guards would be removed from the trains. More here.

Do the Guards on the trains in NSW have varying responsibilities, or are entirely different departments and staff responsible for things like Customer Service, Revenue Protection and Security?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Merc1107 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:28 am here was supposedly a long, bitter fight about electrification when it came to light that guards would be removed from the trains. More here.
Wow, that's a great paper with some useful tips for NSW. I know Bob, a lovely gentleman and very clever. The reference to the Perth system as a metro vindicates what I've been saying for ages when trying to explain what a rapid transit rail system is to those who struggled (and some who still struggle) to conceptualise the Sydney metro. Bob knew exactly what he was aiming for.

It's interesting that the drivers had no problem with one person operation and there were innovative solutions for redeploying the guards. Similarly in NSW, the government is trying to redeploy the guards as roving CSOs on the trains but off-train redeployment doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Merc1107 wrote: Do the Guards on the trains in NSW have varying responsibilities, or are entirely different departments and staff responsible for things like Customer Service, Revenue Protection and Security?
Generally they remain in their cabs, although they do wheelchair assists at unstaffed stations. With NSW trains not having door control equipment at all doors, not practical for them to roam trains where stations are close together, although occasionally they venture out on the longer stretches. Revenue protection is the domain of revenue protection officers.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Linto63 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:41 am With NSW trains not having door control equipment at all doors, not practical for them to roam trains where stations are close together
I thought some of our earlier DD trains did have that originally but it got removed?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Yes that is so.
Living in the Shire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Hopefully the trains actually enter service soon, if it gets delayed again that would be a bit disappointing
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Set 6 was parked up at Central pl 4 this morning, still has plastic coverings on the seats.

Interesting was the "destination sign" between the decks:
DSC07716 (Small).jpeg
DSC07716 (Small).jpeg (80.4 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
What is the point of "via Redfern" if it doesn't stop there?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Rad

Post by Rad »

I photographed a set at Central yesterday on platform 2. Not sure what set but the end car showed D105. seat plastic covers had been removed and it looked ready for service. Desto showed Ourimbah via Redfern and it left on time (according to the station signboard) at 1.27pm. Appeared to be a crew of 3 on board. I later saw it arrive back at 7.20pm.
http://www.guideposttours.com.au & www.guidepost-travel.com
Rail and Coach Tours Worldwide
Railway Adventures
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

That would make it set 105, IIRC.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

Wouldn't the whole train be D5 + D105?
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Seems like it's been a busy week for the D-Set trains with multiple out and about. D8 was up at Newcastle Interchange yesterday at 12:30 PM Platform 1, departed at 12:41 PM and a incoming Hunter J set took it's spot on Platform 1.

According to Anytrip another D-set was scheduled to head up to Newcastle before Midday today however I was not able to make it to see what it was. They've definitely ramped up daylight testing over the past few months. Previously it was head to even find them on the CC during the day. Now I seem to be able to come up with a pattern for when they'll likely be at Newcastle.

Have not seem them do a weekend run up here which would make it a little more convenient for me.

Edit: photo I took

Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Press conference for Gladys B at Central now.

https://fb.watch/4APj92xjXM/

There are reports that the side of D5/D105 has been decorated with "Mariyung" - an Aboriginal term. Pronounced "Mari-yong", meaning emu
https://darugcorporation.com.au/product/mariyung/

Looks like that's the name of the new train.
tonyp

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2021

Post by tonyp »

New interurban trains being previewed right now by Gladys. Trains will be called Maryong. First trains Newcastle line in next couple of weeks. Awaiting regulator approval and union agreement. I'll stay watching and see if they have a look inside.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Finally! About time.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

This reminds me of the little windows in the original Goninans that you couldn't see out of.

I wonder what Glad and Andy would be doing if there were a couple of ferals sitting facing them. Let me guess. They'd be wishing for reversible seats?
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

tonyp wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:22 pmThis reminds me of the little windows in the original Goninans that you couldn't see out of.

I wonder what Glad and Andy would be doing if there were a couple of ferals sitting facing them. Let me guess. They'd be wishing for reversible seats?
That hardly helps. Only can move to another carriage.

I didn’t realise the windows were so small.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
grog

Post by grog »

It’s a bigger window with a section missing for the destination display at that location.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: This reminds me of the little windows in the original Goninans that you couldn't see out of.
More like the tiny windows that appeared on some high speed trains in Europe. The problem with the Goninan windows was that they were set to low, doesn't appear to be the case here.
tonyp wrote: I wonder what Glad and Andy would be doing if there were a couple of ferals sitting facing them. Let me guess. They'd be wishing for reversible seats?
Glad and Andy catching a train...you must be joking. Seeing that most of the train is fitted with airline style seating, they could easily move.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Tiny windows save life's though you only have to look at the Pendolino crash in the uk where they openly admitted if it was a train with bigger windows like a hst (uk version of xpt) then the death toll would have been higher than 1
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CUc9XrDCP0

Watch from 27:00, the last 20 seconds. So it’s Melbourne style passenger opening the door by pressing the door button? Get ready for the Karen’s to come out complaining again lol, unless of course manual mode was solely used just for this presser. But nice to see the functionality is in fact there

I’d hope at the very minimum actually they do leave doors in manual mode at least at the termini stations, thinking of the cold Blue Mountains in winter. I completely understand for other models in the rail fleet that don’t have the either manual mode function or door buttons so guard has to open all, but here where we see functionality does exist, it would just be an appalling waste of heating / airconditioning if they don’t use it.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:43 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CUc9XrDCP0

Watch from 27:00, the last 20 seconds. So it’s Melbourne style passenger opening the door by pressing the door button? Get ready for the Karen’s to come out complaining again lol, unless of course manual mode was solely used just for this presser. But nice to see the functionality is in fact there
Given these are intercity replacements, and some of the current intercity fleet already require passengers to manually open the doors (V sets anyone?), this might not be as big an issue as if say this was done on suburban rolling stock on a busy network.

But yes, there will be somebody out there finding fault with this.
Personally I don't have an issue with it.

Curious as to whether the setup [of having to press a button to open the door] allows for semi-enforcement of the "d" and "u" restrictions in timetables (set down and pick up only respectively) by only activating buttons in one "direction" as such, or does this open a can of WH&S worms?
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

https://rtbuexpress.com.au/safety-is-no ... bXXhb24rbE

Welp, RIP. I’m gunna assume, here comes another 3-4 month delay?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

pgt wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:47 am Given these are intercity replacements, and some of the current intercity fleet already require passengers to manually open the doors (V sets anyone?), this might not be as big an issue as if say this was done on suburban rolling stock on a busy network.

But yes, there will be somebody out there finding fault with this.
Personally I don't have an issue with it.

Curious as to whether the setup [of having to press a button to open the door] allows for semi-enforcement of the "d" and "u" restrictions in timetables (set down and pick up only respectively) by only activating buttons in one "direction" as such, or does this open a can of WH&S worms?
They will also be replacing OSCARs on the SCO; wonder how long since passengers there have had to open doors?

Apart from SCO, are there any U or D restrictions left now?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Why weren’t these intercity trains built as battery electric trains then they could be used on Southern Highlands line Hunter line the non electrified section of the South Coast line and the Bathurst bullet west of Lithgow

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”