New Transport Info Centre at Central

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
runawaybus

New Transport Info Centre at Central

Post by runawaybus »

Read the ARHS NSW newsletter and it said that TransportNSW are building a Transport Information Centre which will have timetables and sell tickets in what is now the ARHS NSW Bookshop as well as the old Man in Blue area which was the old way you could go up to purchase Intercity and Country tickets up until at least half a decade ago.

Whilst it is to be applauded the NSW Government doing this but will they stock all Private Operated Contracted services timetables like Westbus, Transit Systems etc. If they do I will have a heart attack- after all I did write a Letter to the Editor in Transit Australia mentioning that Sydney as a world class city should have a large Info Centre that stocks all timetables and not just Ferry, Train and Government Bus ones.
Definition of Commuter Consultation or even Community Consultation: "We've made up our minds don't confuse us with the facts".
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: New Transport Info Centre at Central

Post by Fleet Lists »

They wont have Westbus as they dont exist anymore.
Living in the Shire.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

wereare the R H A S going to..................so our country ppl will know it was handy if you were in sydney for the day,AND BUY YOUR GEAR WHILE WAITING FOR TRAIN TO GO HOME :roll: 8)
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Prime location for ARHS and enthusiasts that travel from the country by train, I hope they're not going back to Redfern. Nothing against Redfern, but at present location it's a "drop in whenever you're passing by", Redfern was a destination in itself.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

It's also stated in the Sydney City Transport Plan as a short term item. It's really just going to replace the existing Rail information booth on the concourse with some bus timetables in the back
iDionz

Post by iDionz »

What about the place where the Southern Aurora museum type thing was? What's happening to that?
Cowra
Favourite Vehicle: Old ones.

Post by Cowra »

Yes the ARHS is going back to Redfern. As of February 22nd the Bookshop will close at Central and reopen one week later at Redfern. The ARHS is in negotiations with regards to alternative sites but ask that the lobbying and negotiation is left to them.
Ringer of bus bells and tram gongs.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

iDionz wrote:What about the place where the Southern Aurora museum type thing was? What's happening to that?
That has been closed for a few weeks.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
iDionz

Post by iDionz »

Then why can't they put it where the southern aroura museum was and keep the bookshop there?
boronia

Post by boronia »

The "Southern Aurora Museum" has had numerous displays there, on other topics, over the years. It is actually for Rail Heritage Express, part of the RTM.

Perhaps they didn't want to create divisions by putting out one group and not the other. So get rid of both.
@ The Museum of Fire.
iDionz

Post by iDionz »

Well then that makes sense!
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Aaaggghhh !!. This was my little enthusiast oasis in the 'big smoke'. They (ARHS) will certainly notice the drop off in trade. I suspect the present location brings in a lot of passing trade and promotes an interest in rail history. Bad move I think by NSW Govt. and Transport NSW. Some of the shops at street level I think would even be better than Redfern for accessibility. And with no Bus Museum open to the public, it looks like a drought ahead. :(
Last edited by Centralian on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boronia

Post by boronia »

This is an auspicious (or suspicious?) start for Transport Heritage NSW

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/media-r ... ritage-nsw

As it is now "Transport" not "Rail", will it ever encompass the SBM?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

boronia wrote:This is an auspicious (or suspicious?) start for Transport Heritage NSW

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/media-r ... ritage-nsw

As it is now "Transport" not "Rail", will it ever encompass the SBM?
Would be interesting if includes SBM - ex governmet transport heritage and private industry transport heritage. Interesting times.
Punchbowl Tiger Cub

Post by Punchbowl Tiger Cub »

Evening Centralian,
Before this new organisation has even got going,there is infighting between the various rail heritage groups over dividing the çake.

There is a meeting next week with the new board of THNSW to try and alay fears and misinformation of some of the affected parties.Look,it is all complex and messy with one group in particular who are based at Eveleigh fearful they will loose out altogether especially loosing their exclusive rights to a certain large building at Eveleigh that they have called home for over 20 years even though they couldn't get their act together a few years ago and put a constructive,fair and viable plan for the future to the powers at be.This same group is under financial stress and unless they can come up with a plan and be prepared to share resources,I don't see a long term future for them.

As far as I gather,bus,tram and ferry heritage does come under the umbrella of THNSW.

Regards Punchbowl Tiger Cub.
Ben_Daui
Favourite Vehicle: 14.5 Scania

Post by Ben_Daui »

It's a shame the ARHS book shop has to go back to the resource centre, what should have being offered was other space in Central that may not be in use like the former gents toilets located under the current information/ticket windows or platform 26/27 with the platform edges glazed.
iDionz

Post by iDionz »

Is there toilets under the information booths :shock:

Also I found some old toilets near belmore park that seem that they've not been used for years does anyone know when they closed them up?
dude

Post by dude »

That bookstore at Central was so handy and I was pleased when it moved there from that dump of a street in Redfern. I went to it once years ago in the week they found a body in a dumpster in the same street - not really a pleasant environment for visiting the shop but no choice as I was after something. Shame it can't be in a better location like many railfan bookshops in the UK are.
Glen

Post by Glen »

iDionz wrote:Is there toilets under the information booths :shock:
There certainly used to be. If I remember rightly it had this quaint arrangement of only half of it ever being open at one time, sort of like a track possession approach. :lol:
boronia

Post by boronia »

What happened to the "underground" toilets on the main concourse, roughly where the ticket office now resides?

Where ever else it might go at Central, it would not be as visible as the current location
@ The Museum of Fire.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

Ben_Daui wrote:It's a shame the ARHS book shop has to go back to the resource centre, what should have being offered was other space in Central that may not be in use like the former gents toilets located under the current information/ticket windows
That could get expensive - any 'new' location would have to be accessible, which means fitting a lift. I can't see TfNSW ponying up that sort of money to provide the ARHS with a conveniently located bookshop under the main concourse.

The actual toilets may be heritage listed and not able to be removed. I'm not sure a book shop surrounded by toilet cubicles and urinal pans would make for a nice sales environment. :-)
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Centralian wrote: I hope they're not going back to Redfern. Nothing against Redfern, but at present location it's a "drop in whenever you're passing by", Redfern was a destination in itself.
You/We are not going to like this, but it's been confirmed to they are moving back to Redfern. According to them, it is only a temporary measure - AT THIS STAGE.

Could they not use what they use now for the train timetables & information just in front of the bookshop?

How big does a transport information have to be? I thought the main purpose of them, was to have information on timetables, fare information, etc.

Not too sure, but interesting that the "government" didn't get their hands on the other side, where the NSWRTM related stuff is. Hmm!
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
iDionz

Post by iDionz »

matthewg wrote:
Ben_Daui wrote:It's a shame the ARHS book shop has to go back to the resource centre, what should have being offered was other space in Central that may not be in use like the former gents toilets located under the current information/ticket windows
That could get expensive - any 'new' location would have to be accessible, which means fitting a lift. I can't see TfNSW ponying up that sort of money to provide the ARHS with a conveniently located bookshop under the main concourse.

The actual toilets may be heritage listed and not able to be removed. I'm not sure a book shop surrounded by toilet cubicles and urinal pans would make for a nice sales environment. :-)
Is there anyway to get down there? And does anyone have pictures (how I don't know)
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

The problem with both of these facilities- the NSWRTM display and AHRS Bookshop - was their limited hours when Central is busiest - during commuting hours and at weekends. The NSWRTM shopfront wasn't even open Saturdays! I understand both of these organizations are promoting heritage, but that doesn't mean they should be following 1950s culture in terms of opening hours.

There is absolutely no excuse for the AHRS Bookshop not being open on Sundays, particularly after the advent of Family Funday Sunday which means so many more families are traveling by train then (instead of Saturdays). If they had family-friendly books on display (things like Thomas & Friends), and were open on Sundays, they would have no trouble justifying their existence. Similar, NSWRTM could promote their family outings, Day Out with Thomas, etc, on Sundays if they were open. Yes, Thomas & Friends *does* promote Rail Heritage as the characters in the series expose young children to things like steam locomotives and historic railway practice. Plus, it allows families to participate at multiple levels - Dad can browse the more serious books while the kids play with Thomas toys. It is a fabulous way to bring two or three generations at once into the shop, yet AHRS in particular only caters to the older generation's nostalgia and wants nothing to do with "kid stuff." Sorry guys but you have to look after your legacy and if you aren't going to bring in a new generation, then what chance do you have of existing in the future?

The AHRS (NSW Division) had a great opportunity with such a prime position for the bookshop- and they have only themselves to blame for poor patronage. What a shame.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

jpp42 wrote:The problem with both of these facilities- the NSWRTM display and AHRS Bookshop - was their limited hours when Central is busiest - during commuting hours and at weekends. The NSWRTM shopfront wasn't even open Saturdays!
They are open on Saturdays, and some other days, such as when certain tour trains operate.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”