Inner West Light Rail observations

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
gilberations

Re: Inner West Light Rail observations

Post by gilberations »

Wouldn’t the Lewisham stop make more sense for short running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

gilberations wrote:Wouldn’t the Lewisham stop make more sense for short running?
None of the options involving reversing on the running lines is a good idea.
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

tonyp wrote:
gilberations wrote:Wouldn’t the Lewisham stop make more sense for short running?
None of the options involving reversing on the running lines is a good idea.
there’s a cross over there though

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

gilberations wrote: there’s a cross over there though
I know, that's what I mean. It's not good practice to reverse trams via a crossover on running lines. It gets in the way of other trams and disrupts the operation. Any reversing should take place on a separate siding and the only one of these is at Lilyfield. Intermediate crossovers are only for unplanned emergencies/contingencies.

As grog correctly says, the line is going to be full-on end to end within a few years. It needs a double track terminus at DH with a single platform between them. With a layover to provide recovery time and absorb late running without the pressure of other trams piling in and forcing the tram at the terminus out, the line will work much better and more services will be able to be run.
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

In doing that. Dulwhich Hill station needs a whole new concourse that links to a new tram platform all sharing one Concorse.

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I think that may happen with the metro.
grog

Post by grog »

Yep, it’s part of the Metro conversion. Initial plan was full width concourse with new entrances on both sides of the rail corridor, the revised plans only have a new entrance on the Light Rail side.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Correct - now concourse will line up with the LR lift. See artists impression here
https://www.sydneymetro.info/station/du ... ll-station
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

But not covered?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
grog

Post by grog »

Correct
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

This was posted at Convention. Thought the readers here would appreciate the cat's name:
39EE727D-C238-4365-ABC2-94A73590EDEE.jpeg
39EE727D-C238-4365-ABC2-94A73590EDEE.jpeg (127.66 KiB) Viewed 7424 times
Hope they get it back.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

What a cute little kitty caf.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

jpp42 wrote:This was posted at Convention. Thought the readers here would appreciate the cat's name:
39EE727D-C238-4365-ABC2-94A73590EDEE.jpeg
Hope they get it back.
He ran off with a lady cat called Alstom.
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

A couple of Urbos 100s at the Hay St intersection during the Wednesday evening peak.
unadjustednonraw_thu_8m52W.jpg
unadjustednonraw_thu_ToGdc.jpg
unadjustednonraw_thu_u4iKt.jpg
BTW I didn't ride the tram this time but I noticed 2124 was PACKED heading to Central once again. And people weren't crowding around the doors; they were standing in the aisles as well. I swear it was crush capacity! I don't know how else you can solve this apart from modifying the IWLR to CSELR standards and run Citadis cars on the line.
boronia

Post by boronia »

What are the options for lengthening the CAF sets with extra modules? Can platforms be lengthened to suit?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I can see a link to the George St leg of the CSELR. Does this mean direct services from DH to CQ in the pipeline?
The AOA is a throwback to the AOA plastered on the original trams. It makes me want to boycott whom ever chooses to blight the vehicle with their branding, especially that insidious left wing propaganda!
moa999

Post by moa999 »

boronia wrote:What are the options for lengthening the CAF sets with extra modules? Can platforms be lengthened to suit?
I would say near impossible.
Particularly at Pyrmont Bay and John St.

As discussed many times the solution is more services, either by shorter journey times (traffic light priority), turnbacks or more CAF trams.

While the Alston trams will run on the route to the Lilyfield depot (which is being fitted out with an APS test track) using that turn from CQ they reportedly can't be used for passengers without platform changes to meet disability standards (and I suspect those changes might mean the CAFs don't fit)
boronia

Post by boronia »

And the CAFs don't have fittings for the APS power supply.
@ The Museum of Fire.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

moa999 wrote: While the Alston trams will run on the route to the Lilyfield depot (which is being fitted out with an APS test track) using that turn from CQ they reportedly can't be used for passengers without platform changes to meet disability standards (and I suspect those changes might mean the CAFs don't fit)
The CESLR has a slightly smaller platform centre than the IWLR.
The SLR was built to match the very wide Variotrams. The CAFs were purchased to match the Variotrams and have 'step fillers'.
I suspect the new cars are 2.60 not 2.65 wide.
I also suspect the CAFs could have the step plates changed and fit on the CESLR, but all platforms on the existing line would have to be modified or the gap will be too large to meet standards.

Alstom could even fit APS to the CAF cars if they so desired - they keep saying their technology can be used on other makers cars :-)

I've had a couple of people inspect 2107 and say it seems larger than the CAF cars. I suspect it probably is. Not only are the CAF cars slightly narrower, the sides slightly curve in. The Variotram is a straight sided box, built out to the full 2.65m width. While the change in actual volume is very small, the perception is quite different.
Swift

Post by Swift »

And yet they persist with refusing to permit 2.55 wide buses, even though that is the new standard in Urupp.
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

moa999 wrote:While the Alston trams will run on the route to the Lilyfield depot (which is being fitted out with an APS test track) using that turn from CQ they reportedly can't be used for passengers without platform changes to meet disability standards (and I suspect those changes might mean the CAFs don't fit)
I also keep bringing up the fact that the points and check-rails are different too. IWLR uses railway standard; CSELR is tramway standard. So ALL the points and check rails need to be converted to tramway standard so there's no risk of derailment with the Citadis cars. Then will have a consistent and compatible network across the board in terms of track standards. This would also mean that the wheel profiles on the cars would need to be shaved down but I would say to just give them brand new tramway profile wheels, seeing as the current wheel tyres are so worn due to cheap construction.
STMPainter2018

Post by STMPainter2018 »

Swift wrote:It makes me want to boycott whom ever chooses to blight the vehicle with their branding, especially that insidious left wing propaganda!
And yet you idolise Neville Wran; a politician who was a member and one time leader of a party who's politics are centre-left wing.... :?
Swift

Post by Swift »

Precisely, not to ludicrous levels like now. Good steady government. Everything's good in moderation, including the conservative side.
Today's left wing is insidious and seeks to destroy western civilisation.
Did you know that Neville Wran enjoyed 68% approval rating among Liberal voters?
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

If we order more trams to address the overcrowding issue, I sincerely hope we move away from the CAF’s because they're pretty terrible in their current Sydney spec incarnation.

Just order something with more doors - like Melbournes E Class Flexity. That’s a tram I could be proud of (if Melbourne was my home city)
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:If we order more trams to address the overcrowding issue, I sincerely hope we move away from the CAF’s because they're pretty terrible in their current Sydney spec incarnation.

Just order something with more doors - like Melbournes E Class Flexity. That’s a tram I could be proud of (if Melbourne was my home city)
The E class only has five doors. You can order the CAF with six. The E class also has very narrow aisles that discourage circulation. There are really only two major standee areas, one at each end. In the CAFs you can get a better distribution of standees. The Flexity is a different model. The Gold Coast trams are Flexitys and they have a much better door and internal circulation arrangement. Though they only have fixed bogies, a specification that is the cause of wheel and track wear on the curving IWLR. A Skoda 15T would be the best choice that ticks all the boxes - swiveling bogies, six evenly-distributed double doors and heaps of circulation space.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”