Opal Discussion and Observations

Post by boronia »

Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Re: Opal Discussion and Observations

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Hang on so am I hearing that right? This "Digital card" that's based off opal will work with Taxi's & Ubers? Interesting.

I don't really use neither through but I'd be curious what the prices will be like for Taxis / Uber when concession / pensioner is enabled in the future (If that ever happens)

That's unless I'm reading this wrong?
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

ScaniaGrenda wrote:Hang on so am I hearing that right? This "Digital card" that's based off opal will work with Taxi's & Ubers? Interesting.

I don't really use neither through but I'd be curious what the prices will be like for Taxis / Uber when concession / pensioner is enabled in the future (If that ever happens)

Then there's the issue of greedy Sydney based taxi drivers that try everything to avoid taking short trips and how much of the opal revenue from the trip will end up going back to driver
moa999

Post by moa999 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote:Hang on so am I hearing that right? This "Digital card" that's based off opal will work with Taxi's & Ubers? Interesting.

I can only assume the 'Digital Card' will just be a prepeay MasterCard/Visa.
Ie. None of the advantages of Opal like immediate fare feedback.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

In the past week, I made the same roundtrip journey three times and got a different fare each time. Its a joke. Yesterday I was overcharged about 6 dollars. I assume that is a default fare for some reason, but as the card readers here are now completely illegible, it is hard to tell.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

neilrex wrote:In the past week, I made the same roundtrip journey three times and got a different fare each time. .
On Opal card? Or contactless?
If so login to account and take a look.

Never had an issue with screen legibility, unlike say Myki
Petarkco

Post by Petarkco »

moa999 wrote:
neilrex wrote:Never had an issue with screen legibility, unlike say Myki
Or MyWay that displays its tap on/off information for only a second.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

just went to the airport. $20.20. Ouch. Seems a lot more than the last trip which was $18.39 or something like that.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Sydney commuters overcharged hundreds of thousands in Opal network bungle

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/syd ... 53up1.html
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Relating to contactless payments.
Living in the Shire.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

neilrex wrote:just went to the airport. $20.20. Ouch. Seems a lot more than the last trip which was $18.39 or something like that.
My last trip to the airport (last week) was $17.39, and it was basically between the Domestic Terminal and Central/City stations.
Not sure how you got $20.20 - might want to check out your transaction history for that one.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Adult gate fee is $14.30 ($12.80 concessions) plus whatever the train fare was, including peak/off-peak.

Edit. Appears gate fee has had some inflation to $14.87
https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/u ... to-airport
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

An adult train fare for 20-35 km is $5.15 during peak, plus the airport fee of $14.87 equates to $20.02. neilrex probably saw $20.02 as $20.20. Using the older station access fees, the sum would be less than $20, showing as $19-ish, so an increase to $20-ish is a noticable difference, which probably alarmed neilrex.
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

pgt wrote:
neilrex wrote:just went to the airport. $20.20. Ouch. Seems a lot more than the last trip which was $18.39 or something like that.
My last trip to the airport (last week) was $17.39, and it was basically between the Domestic Terminal and Central/City stations.
Not sure how you got $20.20 - might want to check out your transaction history for that one.
It would seem that all the recent trips prior to the one three weeks ago, were on sundays or offpeak times. The lastest trip was at weekday peak time , when the train fare is almost two dollars more.

when I returned the other day, I took the bus for the first time from T1 to Mascot station ( usually I go to Banksia ). I can confirm that bus fare is 2.28 or something. For some unknown reason, had to wait 20 minutes for a train at Mascot.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

20 min definitely uncommon
$2.24 At present less the $2 transfer so effectively 24c extra.
Note Rockdale Station which is better serviced than Banksia falls into the $3.73 band for International.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

There has been a noticeable improvement to readers on bus-type and retrofitted-type readers on ticket barriers at stations detecting contactless payment methods
swtt

Post by swtt »

boxythingy wrote:There has been a noticeable improvement to readers on bus-type and retrofitted-type readers on ticket barriers at stations detecting contactless payment methods
Much faster now in detecting the cards?

Is the speed comparable to an actual Opal card?
boxythingy

Post by boxythingy »

swtt wrote:
boxythingy wrote:There has been a noticeable improvement to readers on bus-type and retrofitted-type readers on ticket barriers at stations detecting contactless payment methods
Much faster now in detecting the cards?

Is the speed comparable to an actual Opal card?
Yes that's right. I suspect they increased the sensitivity to detect NFC chips. Sometimes I get a red error try again message automatically as soon as my device is at its last few mm of approach the reader
boxythingy

Post by boxythingy »

Not sure how and if relevant, but Cubic Transportation Systems is looking for people to join the Opal Customer Care team: https://www.seek.com.au/job/41077946?ty ... 84e49ea5f4

Warning! Possible workplace culture issues given rating, reviews and according to this, they last recruited en masse October 2019 just under 6 months ago https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=au

Ironically, you won't be making good use of your Opal Card and the intermodal transfer discount of $2 within 60mins, as the easiest way via Public Transport would be a train ride to Auburn Station, then an 18min walk.
Customer Service Representative - Multiple Opportunities
Cubic Transportation Systems
3.1 out of 5
3.1 overall rating (45 employee reviews)
More jobs from this company
About Cubic

Cubic Transportation Systems Australia (CTS Australia) is a leading integrator of information and payment technology / services for intelligent travel solutions. Our people are key to delivering on our major projects; the go Card in Brisbane and the Opal card in Sydney.

When working at Cubic you will not only be working in an engaging workplace; but you will also receive:

Diversity & Inclusion initiatives
Discounts on selected health insurance and gym memberships
Cubic Social and Save Club - access to a range of retail savings and discounts as well as many Cubic Social events!
Employee Appreciation Day -A paid day off per year!
Access to the Cubic Employee Assistance Program
About the Role

We have exciting opportunities for Customer Service Representatives to join our high performing Opal Customer Care team, based in Silverwater. These are casual opportunities, and work is on a rotating roster. Our Contact Centre operates 24/7 and you must be flexible to work a rotating AM roster.

Our team are the face (or voice!) of Opal for customers; and as a representative you will resolve their queries and assist with any transactions they may need help on. Excellent customer service is a focus of every call.

We have a comprehensive 2 week training program run by our in-house Learning & Development team which will ensure you are providing the highest level of Customer Service to our customers.

About You

Our team is fun and sociable, and we're looking for people who thrive in a high volume, high pressure environment. Specifically, you will have:

12 months Customer Service experience, preferably contact centre based
Excellent customer service skills and have a desire to resolve customer issues
Keen attention to detail and the ability to understand and follow processes
The ability to work well in a team environment
Experience working in high pressure environment
Exceptional written, verbal and numeracy skills
The ability to quickly learn new systems, and be proficient in data entry
You must be able to attend an assessment centre on Tuesday, 10 March 2020 and be available to start on 16 March 2020.

All candidates will be required to undergo an Australian Federal Police (AFP) check.

Previous applicants need not apply.

Right to live and work
You must have the right to live and work in this location to apply for this job.

Report this job advert
Be careful- Don’t provide your bank or credit card details when applying for jobs. If you see something suspicious report this job ad.
Campbelltown busboy

This opal not accepted on this bus thing has popped up in the stand for the Southern Highlands line emergency rail at Campbelltown station witch is stand C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Excepted/accepted
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have fixed.
And it has nothing to do with rail replacement - it applies to Picton Buslines route 900 which departs from that stop.
Living in the Shire.
arrowflight

Post by arrowflight »

^^^ Agree with Fleet Lists, above. I am a Campbelltown resident and regularly use the buses and trains.

Stand C is for Picton coaches (Picton Buslines). It is a private company and not part of the Opal system (ie. there are no tap-on / tap off devices on-board). Concession fares are available (usually half-price tickets) when appropriate cards are shown to the driver (eg: NSW Seniors Card).

Link to company's fares page:
https://www.buslinesgroup.com.au/picton ... asses.html

Note the company's wording for some of the cards:
"Back of pass must display Concession (TS) and must be shown to the driver when boarding the bus."
(TS = Tertiary Student0

Also that the Opal Card identifies the cardholder by name on the back of the card...
Front: https://www.buslinesgroup.com.au/images ... t-card.jpg
Back https://www.buslinesgroup.com.au/images ... e-2017.png
(AT = NSW Apprentice / Trainee)

Requirements and fares vary according to type of card.

Any accredited bus operator also issues passes for school and child concessions.
Campbelltown busboy

The 900 still goes to Campbelltown I thought that Picton Buslines would of cut the Narellan to Campbelltown section of the route years ago as there was only 2 timetabled south bound services a day that did the entire route between Campbelltown and Picton 1 was Picton via Camden and Razorback and the other one was the direct Picton via Manangle road that would of been about 10 years ago when I would of seen the 17:25 service at Campbelltown witch was the one that went via Camden and Razorback with the Manangle road direct service being a school day only service that had to be in and out before the daily Batemans Bay coach service arrived into Campbelltown
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Nowadays there are still three weekday trips from Campbelltown https://transportnsw.info/documents/tim ... 190101.pdf
Also see map for stand information https://transportnsw.info/document/1910 ... on-map.pdf

The Bateman Bay service has long ceased.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”