Artic/14.5's STA

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Ben_Daui
Favourite Vehicle: 14.5 Scania

Artic/14.5's STA

Post by Ben_Daui »

I notice the STA has more artics on the road now then 14.5's, I know there is 1 new 14.5 wrapped in red so looking at the fleet lists 50 14.5's to 81 artics. One would assume either artics are more practical choice or the STA is concerned about using 14.5's as per the story of 3447.

I was looking at the images on photo's/ACT and saw the 14.5's that are in service with ACTION which made me wonder as CDC have plenty of 14.5's.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Re: Artic/14.5's STA

Post by Daniel »

Try 119 artics...
shovelyjoe
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O 500LE

Post by shovelyjoe »

I think 14.5s are a better option than artics. Pity State Transit didn't get more Scania L113TRBLs.
swtt

Post by swtt »

shovelyjoe wrote:I think 14.5s are a better option than artics. Pity State Transit didn't get more Scania L113TRBLs.
They are much harder to maneuver than artics. In fact from my understanding, artics maneuver better than even, rigid 12.5m buses.
TAA727

Post by TAA727 »

swtt wrote:
shovelyjoe wrote:I think 14.5s are a better option than artics. Pity State Transit didn't get more Scania L113TRBLs.
They are much harder to maneuver than artics. In fact from my understanding, artics maneuver better than even, rigid 12.5m buses.
Certianly as well as. Essentially a 18m artic will go anywhere that a 12.5m rigid will go, however a 14.5m Rigid will NOT go anywhere, as I discovered (intentionally) when in training and tried a U-turn at Coogee beach (Arden/Dolphin Sts) and didn't quite make it! :oops:
The only time an artic is more of an issue than a rigid is when reversing. And unfortunately as some STA drivers seem to struggle to even drive a bus forward with out hitting anything, don't even ask them to reverse an artic!
TAA727's Fleetlist:
MAN SL-202 Ex-STA 3291
Merc O.305 MkII Ex-STA 2496
Merc O.305 Ex-Action 670
Bedford VAL Ex-Duffy's MO 7259
robert

Post by robert »

TAA727 wrote:The only time an artic is more of an issue than a rigid is when reversing. And unfortunately as some STA drivers seem to struggle to even drive a bus forward with out hitting anything, don't even ask them to reverse an artic!
Not that I want to do it, but what is the secret to backing an artic? Is it like backing a trailer, where you need to steer in the opposite direction to where you want to go?
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

That's right robert. You steer the opposite way to what you want to go, like a car with a trailer. The bus would be easier to reverse though as the trailer is longer and has its articulation point further away from the axle. That said, a bit blind spot in the mirroirs opens up on one side of the bus as the mirror located on the front part of the bus will not be facing the right way to see the rear past a certain angle. I hope to be doing my artic training with a popular Sydney private operator shortly!
Job done.
VivalaBuses
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K310UB, Volvo B7RLE

Post by VivalaBuses »

Do the Hillsbus arctics have a steering axle on the rear axle? If so, how would you reverse that because the rear axle would counter the direction of the trailer?
Time for a new signature!
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

They do steer, but they steer in a direction that complements the front axle, so there's no issue - they would probably be easier actually.
Job done.
VivalaBuses
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K310UB, Volvo B7RLE

Post by VivalaBuses »

With an arctic the direction you steer while reversing the trailer goes in the opposite direction. In the Hillsbus arctics, the rear steering axle complements the front steering axle, as you said. So when you steer left, the trailer goes right but the rear axle will be pointed in the direction against the trailer, if you get what I mean...
Time for a new signature!
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

The trailer steer will be helping the trailer to go around in the same direction as the articulation point.
Job done.
TAA727

Post by TAA727 »

Or perhaps the trailer steering doesn't operate while reversing?
robert wrote:
TAA727 wrote:The only time an artic is more of an issue than a rigid is when reversing. And unfortunately as some STA drivers seem to struggle to even drive a bus forward with out hitting anything, don't even ask them to reverse an artic!
Not that I want to do it, but what is the secret to backing an artic? Is it like backing a trailer, where you need to steer in the opposite direction to where you want to go?
As has been said, yes backing an artic is essentially the same as backing a box trailer with a car. But as also pointed out the trailer is far better behaved (ie easier to control) due to it's size and length. Given the design of buses you will loose sight of the trailer in the mirror opposite to the direction it is turning pretty much as soon as the bus begins to bend, you just have to watch the trailer with the other mirror to control it - no great drama.

I always enjoy reverse parking an artic near McDonalds at Sydney airport - when one cruises in with a full size artic bus and effortlessly reverses 2-3 bus lengths, the looks of amazement on the faces of the shuttle bus drivers with their little Hi-Ace vans and box trailers is a pleasure to behold.
TAA727's Fleetlist:
MAN SL-202 Ex-STA 3291
Merc O.305 MkII Ex-STA 2496
Merc O.305 Ex-Action 670
Bedford VAL Ex-Duffy's MO 7259
Stu

Post by Stu »

I've been told that Volvo have designed a bendy that can have the turn plate locked to allow for easy straight reversing. I heard this about a year ago from a driving instructor at STA but don't know much more about it, maybe they are only in Europe at the moment or there is not much interest for them here in Aus at the moment.
Ben_Daui

Post by Ben_Daui »

TAA727 wrote:Or perhaps the trailer steering doesn't operate while reversing?
I always enjoy reverse parking an artic near McDonalds at Sydney airport - when one cruises in with a full size artic bus and effortlessly reverses 2-3 bus lengths, the looks of amazement on the faces of the shuttle bus drivers with their little Hi-Ace vans and box trailers is a pleasure to behold.
I the look on their faces is priceless :lol:
robert

Post by robert »

TAA727 wrote:I always enjoy reverse parking an artic near McDonalds at Sydney airport - when one cruises in with a full size artic bus and effortlessly reverses 2-3 bus lengths, the looks of amazement on the faces of the shuttle bus drivers with their little Hi-Ace vans and box trailers is a pleasure to behold.
Well, having mostly driven Rosa's in the last 4 years, I would be in the same category.

Thanks for your insights into backing artics, though.
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com
User7526

Post by User7526 »

I don't know if there are any present day artics available with steerable rear axles but when I worked at Busways in the days of the Fuji artics that they had reversing was easy. The rear axle was connected to the turntable by a series of drag links (much like the one to the front axle from the steering box) and to reverse was a case of simply watching your mirrors and being aware of your length. For the record too, they went in and out of Blacktown Station so easily it surprised many people, even members of the public!

P.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

There are many roads in Sydney where 14.5s are forbidden to be driven. There are no so restrictions on artics.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
booma
Favourite Vehicle: 3886 & 3883

Post by booma »

boronia wrote:There are many roads in Sydney where 14.5s are forbidden to be driven. There are no so restrictions on artics.
Would the list of restrictions also include the Spit hill bends?
My views expressed in here are my own and do not reflect those of anyone or anything else.
Ben_Daui

Post by Ben_Daui »

boronia wrote:There are many roads in Sydney where 14.5s are forbidden to be driven. There are no so restrictions on artics.
Is there a list?
eddy

Post by eddy »

So is Andrew right or not. If the rear axle steers i would have thought he is wrong can someone who has driven a rear steer please tell me.
Also i can imagine that 14.4m would be OK in Canberra because it is a designed city.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
boronia

Post by boronia »

Ben_Daui wrote:
Is there a list?
There is info on the RTA website somewhere.

Restrictions were based on the need for such a vehicle to remain wholly within a lane, and not encroach over lane lines or centre lines, on curves and corners.
@ The Museum of Fire.
deepthought2006

Post by deepthought2006 »

Gee, I reckon that that would just about count out using the Pacific Highway through St.Leonards and Artarmon in Lane 1, then. No more Long Bus 290s! <Sniff>. It even counts out Mowbray Rd: no more running special from Willoughby Depot to Epping or Marsfield, either!

I guess the measurers aren't too strict, or maybe the bus *must* travel in Lane 2, or something, which would make having to use any of the Artarmon stops in Pacific Highway more than a bit annoying. I'm just glad I don't drive a Long Bus.
All opinions expressed are my own.
Bus 400

Artic/14.5's STA

Post by Bus 400 »

There is word that the ACT RTA still have objections to the 14.5's due to the weight distribution. So if the RTA allows ACTION's 14.5's then it will open the flood gates to b doubles in Canberra roads. The articulated buses don't allow this due to the weight being distributed more. It is only rumor for now, but it does make a bit of sense (right?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boronia

Post by boronia »

Not sure what is meant by "weight distribution", but usually axle loads are the critical factor and I'm sure these 14.5s would comply with current regs.

Murrays have been running 14.5s around CBR for quite a few years; have they had any problems?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

eddy wrote:So is Andrew right or not. If the rear axle steers i would have thought he is wrong can someone who has driven a rear steer please tell me.
See the post by Peta Mechanic above. The rear steer artics are the same as what he mentions. The rear steer uses input from the turntable, thus assisting with the turning, even in reverse.
Job done.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”