The good old days!

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
robert

Re: The good old days!

Post by robert »

Glen wrote:
bigdogprime wrote:pete rodger grahams car bus 200 was for the route bosnjacks owned route 200 covered everything ,not the bi centenry :)
Are you sure? "Route 200" was long gone by then, the Hills buses had been renumbered in the 600s since 1983 (according to Robert's web site!).
I think it is right, because when I was at Busways (now over 4 years ago), there was a guy there (sorry, can't remember his name now), who obtained the BUS200 plates for his own car, presumably after its significance at Westbus/Hillsbus had evaporated. He had worked at Westbus for a while, as well as some other operators in the meantime.

Maybe those plates had been in Bosnjak-related hands for some time before Roger went to that organisation (which I think was in 1982)?
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

Mother wrote:Bigdogprime: The resemblance between your writing and that of your father is uncanny, bordering on the scary. And I do indeed remember most of what you list in your last sentence.
That's because there is no 'father' .We are talking to Ray himself. He hasn't changed muchn has he, a total fraud. I had hoped he might mellow with age.

David10 wrote:.Some of those 76xx high deck B10Ms also had coach seating I recall, were they ever used on route services or just on charter? Rode one on rail replacement last year and it certainly defied its age.
There were used intensively on M2 services from about 1997 - 2002. They were very comfortable although the airconditioning was poor compared to the 0405's which were new then. They seem to be kept for school specials and charters nowadays
Is it the truth, or did you hear it from the truth engineer?

http://www.forsyth.id.au/gallery/bus
Peta mechanic.
Favourite Vehicle: Westbus Hyliner TV 408.

Post by Peta mechanic. »

Some more info. here about the vehicles that David10 mentioned. Westbus got in and bought eight 61 seaters which got delivered at the time of the change by Volvo from mark 1 to 2 B10M models in order to get into a bit more of the daytime school charter market and so on. Those vehicles were m/o 7612, 7613 (both mark 1 chassis) and then 7615, 7616, 7617, 7618, 7619 and 7622. Straight after that, to be integrated into the coach division they bought six semi coaches which are the vehicles that David has mentioned. These were m/o 7620, 7638, 7639, 7641, 7642 and 7643. these were made with a different header to the 61 seaters and only had a smaller "coach type" desto box in the top of the right side windscreen. A glideaway door was used instead of a jack-knife one and they only had jet-air also. The 61 seaters had metro seating and the semi coaches as you can guess had non-reclining coach seats with a seating capacity of 53 even though they were still a 40 foot vehicle like their sisters. After a couple of years (and some market research too), the need was observed to get air-conditioning put into the semi coaches and so Prestige Auto Air was given the job of converting them. As Mr Bean said, the a/c wasn't real strong however, something that even I noticed let alone drivers out there on hot days with a load of people! A footnote as well, in later years I noticed that 7619 got a roof pod a/c fitted and I don't know what the reason was for that one as I'd left the company by then. These vehicles worked out of either Northmead or Edensor Park while the coach division was alive and running and then yes, even I remember seeing them on the M2 and later on in the Penrith area with ticket machines fitted, something that they didn't even have provision for when new.

P.
I really loved the years of my early working life at Westbus Coaches.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Little Pete:

7616 and 7619 were retro-fitted with a/c when the M2 services first took off. They were used till more of the Mercedes 0405's arrived.

Geoff.
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

7619 and 7622 were the lucky ones to receive a roof-mounted 'Pafcool' airconditioner. My avatar indeed is a picture taken of the 'Pafcool' badge on the rear of 7619.

What happened to 7638, 7639, 7642 and 7643?
I see from the fleetlists http://www.busaustralia.com/fleetlists/ ... &ltype=old
that 7641 suffered an electrical fire and was sold to Coastal Liner for parts. I can't find any reference to the other regos though.

For what purpose was m/o 200 purchased? I'm aware it was the 200th Volvo for Westbus and had signwriting to this effect on the side, but why the decision to go 14.5m and coach seating? And same question re m/o 7366.

Here are some pictures of some of the aforementioned vehicles:

7613 now at Hillsbus Dural seen at Olympic Park

7619 at Windsor depot

Interior of 7619

Driver's dash of 7619

Refurbished 7620

Interestingly 7620 was refurbished with the delightful funky coloured fabric which originally appeared unanimously in the Mercedes 0405's. I think it looks awesome, and with little fading, is a reminder of the smart interior of the Merc 0405's when they were new, not so faded as they are now.

7622 at Penrith depot

Anyone have photos of the coach seated buses inside before refurbishment, with the aeroplane maroon and grey patterned seats they had? So 1980's, I loved it.
Is it the truth, or did you hear it from the truth engineer?

http://www.forsyth.id.au/gallery/bus
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I think it is right, because when I was at Busways (now over 4 years ago), there was a guy there (sorry, can't remember his name now), who obtained the BUS200 plates for his own car, presumably after its significance at Westbus/Hillsbus had evaporated. He had worked at Westbus for a while, as well as some other operators in the meantime.

Maybe those plates had been in Bosnjak-related hands for some time before Roger went to that organisation (which I think was in 1982)?

Robert:

The plates are on a car owned by Scott McDonald. Scott was a former Supervisor, them Manager of several Westbus depots before resigning and working for Hopkinsons as a coach driver - then purchasing his own vehicles and trading as Australian Luxury Coach Travel; based at Westbus Bonnyrigg depot.

Geoff.
GM

Post by GM »

Mother - Darelle Stapelton certainly liked the old crash box Leylands. (Her husband worked for Delwoods).
Maybe I am getting old but I did ride on the George Trams in Parramatta, had a Milk Shake at the Roxy Milk Bar in Church St, had my photos processed by Elton Ward in Argyle St and went to the CBC Bank, also my mother shopped for her groceries at Murray Bros.
I remember Moores m/o 255 Ford Star Bros on Route 3 which used to leave from outside Murrays Ltd Hardware Store in Macquarie St.
And the buses that used to start from Market St. Neely Route 186, L I Try Route 171, Toongabbie Route 178, Macintosh Route 167.
Eddie Hayman worker for PBC and and used to conduct on m/o 931 the Semi.
I have posted three photos of Bedfords on Route 200 from the Peter Anderson Collection. GM
mark2 2304

Post by mark2 2304 »

mother and mr.bean I think you are right about bigdogprime I think it is ray
Peta mechanic.

Post by Peta mechanic. »

GM, those photos are great, I didn't even know that buses like that were on the 200 service! Simply brilliant.

P.
David10

Post by David10 »

Mr Bean wrote:What happened to 7638, 7639, 7642 and 7643?
I see from the fleetlists http://www.busaustralia.com/fleetlists/ ... &ltype=old
that 7641 suffered an electrical fire and was sold to Coastal Liner for parts. I can't find any reference to the other regos though.

For what purpose was m/o 200 purchased? I'm aware it was the 200th Volvo for Westbus and had signwriting to this effect on the side, but why the decision to go 14.5m and coach seating? And same question re m/o 7366.
All 4 have been transferred to Hunter Valley Buses, 7638 & 7639 are now at Edgeworth, 7642 & 7643 at Thornton all converted to RB57F. Recall that a few of these were painted in Ansett livery for a contract in the mid 90s complete with orange flashing light on the roof allowing them to operate on the tarmac at Mascot. I think 200 (or MO.2330 as it was) was fairly under utilised in its early years being based at Northmead and only used for charters. It did become a regular performer on M2 services when they started and I believe it was the first 14.5 metre bus in Sydney.
Peta mechanic.

Post by Peta mechanic. »

I received a pm. from MrObsessed directing me to a picture here of TV410 now in it's current guise over in WA, it looks so much better with a bullbar too. David10 indicated earlier that he seems to remember the Twin Decks going to the Gold Coast Tourist Shuttle but what about the rest, including the Dennings that we got from Calabros. I know that the Tourmaster, TV372 went to Nelsons/Transit Scenic in Sydney and I think that some of the Landseers went to McAffertys/Greyhound but I'm not sure however. And what about the twin turbo Benz, I have a hunch that it is now running around for Bosfor Travel in Sydney?

Come on people, more memories please!!!!
P.
David10

Post by David10 »

Of the former Calabro coaches, Denairs TV370 was sold to Wallace & Hodgson, Kiewa Vic, TV371 to Ingham, Bombala, TV884 to a Melbourne operator, and TV885, TV886 & TV887 to Angel Riccio Transport, Haberfield. Landseers sold were TV373 & TV933 to Down Under Tours, Alice Springs, TV374 & TV883 to Premier Roadliners, Adelaide, TV888 to Pleasure Tours, Bass Hill and TV890 & TV891 to Moreland BL, Melbourne. None were sold to McCafferty’s.

Of the Westbus coaches, Toyota Coasters TV247 & TV248 were sold to Premier Roadliners, Adelaide, and Volvo B10M / Volgren Twin Decks TV402, TV403 & TV404 to Gold Coast Tourist Shuttle (which is part of Surfside). I think most of the other coaches remained until Westbus wound down its coach operation.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

TV 410 - also a twin deck was sold to Surfside, but turned into a very nice motorhome by the Calabro family.

Geoff.
Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

Didnt TV 410 go to All Aussie Tours.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Yeah - sorry Robert - I meant to say TV 419 went to Surfside.
TV 410 went to All Aussie and then resold.

Geoff.
Peta mechanic.

Post by Peta mechanic. »

So many replies so quickly, you people must be watching me! I'm wondering also about what happened to the other Hyliners, we've accounted for one of them but there were another seven? In anycase, thank you everyone for participating here, I'm really enjoying reading these posts.

P.
Glenn E

Post by Glenn E »

Hi little pete, Thanks for the nice comments about me, I just come across this discussion board. I saw old 4795 in Brisbane a couple years ago at Brisbane bus service. Surfside no longer have the twin decks, I think one of the twin decks is at Watts bus & coach works in Woolloongabba in Brisbane East.
Glenn E
Alfy
Favourite Vehicle: Coaches

Post by Alfy »

As some of this westbus stuff has brought back memories of the characters that worked in the coach side of the Industry,
The Merc highdeck that was Andrew D's coach near the end is still in syd with korean operator ( top tours)

John H and Geoff turner along with the smiling frenchman ( alex ) along with a lot of others certainly where and are gentlemen.
inc Geoff on this forum too mate.

How about BABY JESUS ?? not sure if he was with westbus but certainly was with newmans along with Col R.
Steven last seen in syd approx 18 months ago, whilst he was down from QLD on holidays.

Shame that the coach industry does not seem to have many professional operators who maintained the standards of drivers or that time !!!

I did a little casual work for westbus whilst grant foley was the manager, after working for clipper for years.
erinturner

Post by erinturner »

Hi everyone, I just stumbled on this page while looking up the old horse stud my dad bought from years ago. I'm not sure if it's the right guy but it sounds like him. Geoff Turner, used to work at Westbus and moved onto Murrays and passed away in a tractor accident 16 odd years ago. If I've got the right bloke and if anyone's interested but I have a few photos of the coaches etc (and him on his first day with Westbus haha!) that I'd happy to post.
And if you have any stories, I'd love to hear them, I know he was a 'character' :) (ie. when he went through the weigh station and told the poor tourists to hold their breath and lift their feet up to make the coach lighter haha)

Anyway, sorry if I'm intruding on the thread, just thought you might find the photos interesting :)
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

Like erinturner above, I've just stumbled on this page. Anybody got pix of the Parramatta - Prospect / South Wenty / Boronia Street services (Routes 177, 179 etc)? It occurs to me that there may be some general bus pix on Trove - newspapers were very keen to show photos of traffic "accidents" in the old days.....
(4439)
GM

Post by GM »

Sinclair G R - mo 591 & mo 143 Whites MBA - Argyle St Parramatta - A VH Photo
Sinclair G R - mo 294 White MBA 39 & mo 230 White Syd Wood 31 - Argyle St Parramatta 28.07.1948 - An RD Photo
Sinclair G R - Routes as at 1949
Western Road Transport - mo 364 White
Attachments
Western Road Transport - mo 364 White.JPG
Western Road Transport - mo 364 White.JPG (49.74 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
Sinclair G R - Routes as at 1949.jpg
Sinclair G R - Routes as at 1949.jpg (31.71 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
Sinclair G R - mo 294 White MBA 39 & mo 230 White Syd Wood 31 - Argyle St Parramatta 28.07.1948 - An RD Photo.JPG
Sinclair G R - mo 294 White MBA 39 & mo 230 White Syd Wood 31 - Argyle St Parramatta 28.07.1948 - An RD Photo.JPG (38.96 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
mo 591 & mo 143 Whites MBA - Argyle St Parramatta - A VH Photo.JPG
mo 591 & mo 143 Whites MBA - Argyle St Parramatta - A VH Photo.JPG (52.81 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

Thanks GM.......wonderful stuff.........
hugh45

Post by hugh45 »

During the 1950's buses on the Sutherland to Grays Point Route 9 service were operated by W.R.Cox,then Smail & Hammond then Smail & Powers. I do not have any details of the buses used by these operators although I do have details of buses in the 60's onwards operated by Powers. I am interested in finding out which buses operated on this service in the 1950's.
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

hugh45, here are a few photos of Smail and Powers buses from the 50's and 60's.

566 AA.jpg
m/o 566 Oldsmobile Syd Wood Smail and Power.

B72-S&P-660 A.jpg
m/o 660 White MBA S&P at Sutherland Station 11/10/59.

B42C-S&P-4006 AA.jpg
m/o 4006 GMC Propert S&P at Sutherland 10/5/59.

M109 AA.jpg
m/o 4447 Bedford Comair later to Taylor of Griffith as MO 963. ( When i photographed MO 963 in Griffith in 1967 when owned by Taylor it was still painted in the unchanged Power livery even down to the the roundel on the side with just the Power name and hiring details painted out.)

M110 AA.jpg
m/o 4777 Bedford SB ex Pykes Tours later to Cox of Yanco as MO 4533 then to Lane of Warnambool Victoria

A few more registrations from the 1960's were m/o 4231 Leyland Propert, m/o 4565 Bedford Comair ,m/o 4684 Bedford CCMC m/o 4751 Bedford CCMC, m/o 4968 FE Bedford Comeng Capitol , m/o 5071 Bedford VAL CCMC.
Last edited by Red and Cream on Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
hugh45

Post by hugh45 »

Thanks for the above photos.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”