Old Sydney Tram Remnants

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Geo101

Re: Old Sydney Tram Remnants

Post by Geo101 »

tonyp wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:03 pm This sort of intensity was only made possible by looped termini in the city
I'm not sure you are up with the times? We are in the 21st century.

New "trams" are 60 meters long, and don't need to run every 40 seconds (hoping no-one gets incapacitated) in the process of attempting to embark and disembark in world record time?

You seem to be living in the past with a lot of your observations.

1950 isn't the same as 2021?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Geo101 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:01 pm
I'm not sure you are up with the times? We are in the 21st century.

New "trams" are 60 meters long, and don't need to run every 40 seconds (hoping no-one gets incapacitated) in the process of attempting to embark and disembark in world record time?

You seem to be living in the past with a lot of your observations.

1950 isn't the same as 2021?
The frequency of trams depends entirely on demand. Many European cities have trams running as close as every 30 seconds in peak periods. Dwell times at stops are typically in the range 10-30 seconds. Quite often, stop platforms are double length so that two trams can share the stop simultaneously. Most European cities have looped systems and still build extensions with looped termini AND have long trams (up to 60 metres, esp. some of the German systems) as well. The capacity resulting from this combination is huge, much greater than CSELR. The reason there are often long trams on new systems is because these systems are stubbed, so can't turn trams around at smaller intervals than every few minutes, so the trams need to be longer to make up for the lost potential capacity. The old Sydney system was regularly running 30 metre consists every minute or closer at a time when this was still not the norm, but today it is the norm in Europe, nothing in the past about it, just the way it's always been done.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Our transport is horrid compared to Europe. Yet one eyed people insist Australia is the best country in the world.
The facts say otherwise. Maybe if we actually worked on improving?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:00 pm Our transport is horrid compared to Europe. Yet one eyed people insist Australia is the best country in the world.
Nowadays I would rate the Perth public transport system up among the best in Europe, relative to the patronage. Sydney's metro and the ferries are among the best. We're getting there step by step.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The pathway on the left seems to be the last surviving section of the former right-of-way along Allison Rd Randwick.
cse30 DSC08602 (Small).jpeg
cse30 DSC08602 (Small).jpeg (111.43 KiB) Viewed 3567 times
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

Wholly reconstructed I'm afraid --

Swift

Post by Swift »

tonyp wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:45 am
Swift wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:00 pm Our transport is horrid compared to Europe. Yet one eyed people insist Australia is the best country in the world.
Nowadays I would rate the Perth public transport system up among the best in Europe, relative to the patronage. Sydney's metro and the ferries are among the best. We're getting there step by step.
You got me on the Metro. Only problems are where it goes, some station locations and underutilised connections to bus services in many stations and over reliance on commuter car parking.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:11 pm The pathway on the left seems to be the last surviving section of the former right-of-way along Allison Rd Randwick.cse30 DSC08602 (Small).jpeg
The old tram embankment was basically removed (lowered and rounded off) by Public Works back in the 1980s when somebody thought it was a great idea to "open up" views to and from Centennial Park, forgetting that the tram embankment was originally constructed by Public Works (loss of corporate memory there) back in the 1880s for the dual purpose of a tramway and a dam wall for the Centennial Park aquifer. With the next heavy rains, the inevitable flooding of Kensington ensued and the penny finally dropped, followed by further rectification. I wouldn't be surprised if they've forgotten the lessons of history again this time around. The last evidence of the old tramway was, iirc, the old First Class platform in the dive which you photographed in action all those years ago boronia. This was destroyed for the new racecourse stop and reversing siding. So in the end there's nothing left.

It was certainly more pleasant than the mass concrete:

boronia

Post by boronia »

Ah well, perhaps a "reminder" rather than a "remnant".
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

My dad always found the trams fascinating growing up in the 40s and 50s. Hev loved the harbour bridge and the tunnels into Wynyard. What do the imaginative powers that be turn it into? Car parking.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:02 am My dad always found the trams fascinating growing up in the 40s and 50s. Hev loved the harbour bridge and the tunnels into Wynyard. What do the imaginative powers that be turn it into? Car parking.
Now with the harbour tunnel and the metro under the harbour, there's no substantial obstacle to reinstating at least the spine of the North Sydney tram system, even to modern light rail's over-indulgent standards. Certainly Military Rd to Balmoral, Pacific Hwy to Lane Cove. Willoughby maybe 50/50.
Swift

Post by Swift »

The one substantial obstacle is the cost. Another two are nimbys and disruption.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Transport For NSW has put a photo of railway square from 1910 up on their Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/14747185543665 ... ry_index=0
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Not much use to us non facebook users.
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Fleet Lists wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:15 pm Not much use to us non facebook users.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Replaced by smelly diesel buses that dripped oil and groteque motor vehicle traffic. I think we were more advanced in 1910 with majority electric vehicles moving people around, which is a trendy pipe dream 111 years later.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

There have been several Sydney Tramway Museum historical videos since the couple I posted a while back, probably not so relevant to warrant posting here, but the latest one has very interesting colour coverage of the last decade, including their talent for mass movement and how they dealt with a line blockage crisis in the CBD. That is to say, they kept going, hell or high water. Today they'd throw their hands up and call in the buses! A lot of footage around what is now CSELR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvcnFjjo4qc
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

tonyp wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:00 pm There have been several Sydney Tramway Museum historical videos since the couple I posted a while back, probably not so relevant to warrant posting here, but the latest one has very interesting colour coverage of the last decade, including their talent for mass movement and how they dealt with a line blockage crisis in the CBD. That is to say, they kept going, hell or high water. Today they'd throw their hands up and call in the buses! A lot of footage around what is now CSELR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvcnFjjo4qc
Thank you Tony. It brought a tear to my eye.
Glen

Post by Glen »

tonyp wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:26 pm
Fleet Lists wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:15 pm Not much use to us non facebook users.
Interesting colour for a photo so old.
Red and Cream

Post by Red and Cream »

lunchbox wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:53 pm YARRA JUNCTION.
Looking south toward La Perouse, at the intersection of Anzac Parade and Canara Ave. Phillip Bay, on 11.9.19. The curved rockface follows the alignment of what was the Sprinvale Line turnout.
P car 1589 at Yarra Bay Junction on the 20th June 1959.
T757-1589 Yarra Bay Junction.jpg B.jpg
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

HUNTLEYS POINT.
There's a nice sweeping curved joint in the bitumen adjacent to the south-western pedestrian refuge of the Huntleys Point Road / Victoria Road intersection.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

The rail has dared to raise its head, again, on Great North Road, Abbotsford, at Spring Street.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

GREAT PHOTOS I ROAD IN LAST TRAMWAY BACK THEN I WAS ALSO A MEMBER OF SPER MEMBER NUMBER 99 I NOWNFOUNDER MEMBER OF PETS FOUNDERED1981
Swift

Post by Swift »

It looks like a normal railway line. Fascinating.
boronia

Post by boronia »

A little bit of nostalgia from the STM archives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0WjRmSAkSA&t=323s
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”