Random Visual Memory.

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Campbelltown busboy

Re: Random Visual Memory.

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

My dads 1985 6 seat XF Falcon GL sedan that he bought in 1988 it lasted 20 years from when he got it
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

When you look online at your old house & remember all the memories you had there going up. Can pin-point spots where you use to play, which can in turn bring back memories.

The first house I lived in growing up had carpet in the loungeroom, I was a young child and I use to play out in there with my plastic toy cars in a cane basket, we also had the leather couches going in a L setup in the room. Facing in front was a window that looked out to the front of the property with a few fern plants in the small garden. The house was small but to me as a child it was massive, as a house should be.

It's different now, the loungeroom carpet is no longer there, the walls have been painted a different colour from the usual "white" but thanks to the general layout of the room I can still pin-point out things & remember.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Seeing the ever so slightly off centre hubodometer on one of North and Western Bus Lines ex Woomera Freighter Leyland Leopards on East Parade, Eastwood sometime in the 80s. I loved how they mounted it straight onto the big Leyland rear hubcap on that bus. It looked really fascinating to me.

More like this to come.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

As a child, whenever the school would book a luxury coach that had curtains, Fabric seats and if it featured an on board toilet you'd find a water dispenser with a few paper cups just before the toilet that sorta look like this.

If it had those cups, it really felt like for some reason you were riding in luxury.

P.S I tried looking for other patterns for the cups but couldn't find anyway. I think you get my point anyway.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

I REMEMBER comming to sydney on holidays and travelling on the new double deck interurbans as a child kept going into the doorways to get a drink of water from those above cups ..................than latter on living on a interurban line walking through the train at the 2nd last stop each night comming home from work and emptying those cups into my work bag as at the time I was taking 17 tablets and used them for taking my meds! the train stabled over night so they would fill them up. did that for 3 years!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Swift

Post by Swift »

Hahaha. That's funny capt. I'm sure the government didn't mind helping with your health!

Ok another hubodometer related visual memory.
Seeing one of Hunter's Hill Bus Co. CCMC underfloor Bedfords with the Allison automatic transmission with it's hubbo badly off centre due to a bent mounting bracket on Trelawney St Eastwood outside the camping store, and being completely transfixed by the inner part swinging side to side a long way each direction while it was orbiting on the wheel hub. Fascinated me witless and definitely contributed to my deep fascination with the things. This would have been 1981 most likely.
Swift

Post by Swift »

A young couple kissing on the ferry just before docking at Circular Quay. That really stuck in my memory as a 10 year old. I can still visualise the girl's face even though this was 1983!
Campbelltown busboy

Seeing the Busways Fuji bodied Volvo B10Ls like the one in the photo running around Campbelltown
Go back 25 or 30 years and there would have been most likely one of these back in their Busways days sitting in this same spot laying over inbetween services or drivers lunch break

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swift

Post by Swift »

I've never understood the smitten reaction of the Fuji body myself. They look like a giant Toyota Coaster to me.

Here is the identical or near identical hubodometer the aforementioned buses actually had.
I made the bracket on this to fit the Bedford hub stud pattern.
IMG_20210318_235032-800x452.jpg
IMG_20210318_235032-800x452.jpg (71.25 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
IMG_20210318_235048-564x1000.jpg
Campbelltown busboy

The National Nine News National Mutual news breaks from the 90s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnZHK92uxCg

Return to “The Lunch Room”