FRESH FOOD.

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

FRESH FOOD.

Post by captainch »

Who remember going to the green grocer to buy you fruit & vegies WHEN ONLY ONE PERSON handled them put them in a paper bag..............NONE of this suspermarket stuff were every one handles the fruit ect touch about 20 tomatoes before they decide not to buy them ........they have been to the garage filled up with fuel along with every boby else touching the petrol bowers then changed the babys shitty nappy and then walked into woolies to get some fruit ...........Don't you think we should we should go back to the old way were just one person handeled everthing ..........most will say were in to much of a hurry the same with on line shopping what do you about the person who packed your order! not everybody is perfect!......................And they wonder why people get sick we never got all these sickness in days gone by! :shock:
Last edited by captainch on Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: FRESH FOOD.

Post by boronia »

I can understand people wanting to pick through fruit and vegs to get the best examples.

But I can't understand why people need to forensically inspect 6 packs of Weet Bix before deciding which one to put in the trolley.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

And of course, the local grocer had all those tins of Arnott's biscuits sitting on top of the shelves behind the counters.

"half a pound of Iced Vo-vos please". He would take down the already opened tin and put the biscuits into the BPB. I wonder now how long the tin would have been opened; consider that now biscuits in a sealed packet tend to get stale within a week or so of being opened.

No "use by" or "best before" recommendations on the packaging in those days.

Milk in unsealed 20 gallon tanks under the counter, they filled up your container with a scoop; used it for milkshakes too. When the tank was half wmpty, they might top it up with fresh from a keg. Ever wonder how old the milk in the bottom of the tank was?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Same with lollies - a few 'cobbers' , freckles, gummy teeth, musk sticks etc - you'd tell the grocer how much you wanted to spend and they'd fill a brown or white bag for you. Now kids get a weeks supply of lollies in one sealed bag from the sweets aisle and go through them in a day.

I picked up one of those Arnotts tins at a garage sale, a bit damaged, but certainly brought back lots of memories. Arrowroot biscuits were the go. Can't say I remember too many fancy biscuits when going to the corner shop for my mother.

I love the people that open the egg containers in the supermarket and pull out every egg to check for cracks or imperfections. Have seen them swap eggs around from other containers.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
captainch

Post by captainch »

Remember when my brothers and my self used to go into the grocer when he was busy and shake the XXX out of the arnotts buscuit tins the good ones not the pain ones & then ask for 6d worth of broken buscuits! or climbing over the fence taking the empty soft drink bottles from his crates then going into his shop and cashing them in for lollies. or asking for 3d worth of speck fruit!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
captainch

Post by captainch »

With 9 kids and in the countrty when we ran out of weet-bix mum would gives us a milk arrowroot buscuit mashed up with milk!
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

With biscuits, if they're in a tin which is closed properly, they're usually fine. I've left biscuits in a tin for over a month and they have stayed crunchy without going bad.
Centralian wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:13 pm Same with lollies - a few 'cobbers' , freckles, gummy teeth, musk sticks etc - you'd tell the grocer how much you wanted to spend and they'd fill a brown or white bag for you. Now kids get a weeks supply of lollies in one sealed bag from the sweets aisle and go through them in a day.

I picked up one of those Arnotts tins at a garage sale, a bit damaged, but certainly brought back lots of memories. Arrowroot biscuits were the go. Can't say I remember too many fancy biscuits when going to the corner shop for my mother.

I love the people that open the egg containers in the supermarket and pull out every egg to check for cracks or imperfections. Have seen them swap eggs around from other containers.
20c worth of lollies came in a massive paper bag in 1992. 10c worth was about the size of a 50g (45g these days) packet of chips, and 5c worth was a tiny bag similar to the small McDonald's fries packets. To go with them, Gold Medal (carbonated drinks, cola/soda etc.) bottles were glass, 1 litre and were 50c each and came in about a dozen flavours.
captainch

Post by captainch »

Who remembers when a packet of potatoe chips came with the salt in a tiny bag at the top of the packet!
Last edited by captainch on Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Not me unfortunately, I only remember chips having a Tazo in the packet. :)

Return to “The Lunch Room”