What’s your FAVORITE bus/coach model and body

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

385BUZ
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren Optimus

What’s your FAVORITE bus/coach model and body

Post by 385BUZ »

Hi 👋 guys,

Just thought I’d dedicate a topic here to seeing what people’s favourite bus and coach models are.

What would you have in your fleet if you owned a bus company?

Let me know! I am genuinely interested to see what people say!

Cheers,
385BUZ
Regards,
385BUZ

TransLink Route 385. Bus Upgrade Zone.

If you need to contact me privately, please email: 385buz@gmail.com
Nugget

Re: What’s your FAVORITE bus/coach model and body

Post by Nugget »

City bus - Leyland National MKII (with the A/C Pod)

Coach - Mercedes Benz O303
JRBUS123
Favourite Vehicle: Ventura Volgren Optimus

Post by JRBUS123 »

What a great thread idea!

If I owned a bus company, I would at least have a bus with an Mercedes 0405NH engine, such as the Custom CB60 :), or new buses, such as Volgren Optimus, with leather seats
Transport Buff
Favourite Vehicle: R9 Volvo Volgren artic

Post by Transport Buff »

I'd have the following bus, among many others, but this bus would be the core high capacity city bus:

Body: Volgren Optimus articulated 18 m
Chassis: Volvo B12BLEA (although an old chassis from Volvo, it sounds absolutely awesome, especially when accelerating)
Desto: White - just like most modern buses in Sydney (sorry, not very familiar with models and types of destos)
Livery: Plain white
Doors: 3
Features: stop buttons on every pole, DVA system with 2 screens (one at front of bus and one at front of the rear section)

Will update this list in the near future.

Cheers,
Transport Buff
Love Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH, Scania K310UB, Custom Denning Element
Excited for:
-Sydney Metro C&SW, West, WSydAirport
-NIF
-PLR
-WestConnex
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@TransportBuff
Big Engine Mechanic
Favourite Vehicle: My94NCLTDFairlaneTickfordGear

Post by Big Engine Mechanic »

8)
Attachments
mtt-171-merc-o305-citylink-wp-cd-1_2.jpg
mtt-171-merc-o305-citylink-wp-cd-1_2.jpg (96 KiB) Viewed 7268 times
mtt-171-merc-o305-part-city-link-livery-rear_1.jpg
mtt-171-merc-o305-part-city-link-livery-rear_1.jpg (61.69 KiB) Viewed 7268 times
maxresdefault.jpg
51AgX hx8SL.jpg
51AgX hx8SL.jpg (62.51 KiB) Viewed 7268 times
1a7cd845b4346e17c1ffd88aa52f916b(0).jpg
1a7cd845b4346e17c1ffd88aa52f916b(0).jpg (30.53 KiB) Viewed 7268 times
300px-Middletons_of_Rugeley_coach_69_(KPC_204P),_Showbus_2009_(2).jpg
300px-Middletons_of_Rugeley_coach_69_(KPC_204P),_Showbus_2009_(2).jpg (16.85 KiB) Viewed 7268 times
f6d8050ee9c96da837b419c74ddb9b02.jpg
f6d8050ee9c96da837b419c74ddb9b02.jpg (40.07 KiB) Viewed 7268 times
cleveland-oh-usa-july-14-2018-a-1979-johnny-cash-tour-bus-in-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-T5J5XY.jpg
maxresdefault(0).jpg
Citybus 2511 Donegall Square Belfast Jun 99 -L.jpg
Citybus 2511 Donegall Square Belfast Jun 99 -L.jpg (116.52 KiB) Viewed 7268 times
Big Engine Mechanic

8)
Attachments
0e988bbd1516eba3f1cf1e8bd0cb7465.jpg
13988802661_9857f18837_b.jpg
5838801012_07989672e9_b.jpg
img446 - STA 7000 Mercedes Benz 0305 @ Morphettville depot.jpg
img446 - STA 7000 Mercedes Benz 0305 @ Morphettville depot.jpg (70.03 KiB) Viewed 7267 times
mtt-171-merc-o305-interior_1_orig.jpg
mtt-171-merc-o305-interior_1_orig.jpg (71.62 KiB) Viewed 7267 times
mtt-171-merc-o305-wp-entrance-beechb-rd-dec-13-hfb_1.jpg
mtt-171-merc-o305-wp-entrance-beechb-rd-dec-13-hfb_1.jpg (144.52 KiB) Viewed 7267 times
mtt-171-merc-o305-tp-rear-preserved_1.jpg
mtt-171-merc-o305-tp-rear-preserved_1.jpg (67.48 KiB) Viewed 7267 times
mtt-171-merc-o305_1.jpg
mtt-171-merc-o305_1.jpg (65.55 KiB) Viewed 7267 times
Big Engine Mechanic

8)
Attachments
img434 - Volvo B10M [PMC-SA] STA 1448 [STA-448] [1442 rear] @ Lonsdale depot.jpg
img434 - Volvo B10M [PMC-SA] STA 1448 [STA-448] [1442 rear] @ Lonsdale depot.jpg (93.95 KiB) Viewed 7263 times
img4719_81243.jpg
385BUZ

Post by 385BUZ »

Some very nice buses there Big Engine Mechanic!
Regards,
385BUZ

Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Poxbox seats in a bus? Not quite what I was expecting! :lol:

Of course though, being a Melbourne person I will only ever remember them in the electric version of the same train (the same tartan seat covers were factory-original in the Comengs, and retrofitted to the Hitachis, refurbished Harrises and H sets - IIRC a very small number of blue Harrises may have also ended up with them when they received replacement Hitachi style seat bases).
Big Engine Mechanic

@Heihachi_73
Yes I like it very much :wink:
The tartan fabric reminds me of a woman's skirt,
As a mechanic your supposed to treat a vehicle as you would a woman "Not like trash so it helps to think like that TLC
The bonnet of an engine by mechanics is called a skirt so your not going to be nasty when you lift up the bonnet and work on it are ya ?
I've also noticed that women judge us upon this,
"They way a man treats his car is the way he will treat you, they say.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Yeah, I didn't mention that the older seats like that were infinitely better than what we have now, some seats feel like you're sitting on a piece of cardboard with some fabric glued to it, especially in the low floor trams and the Siemens trains. Just seeing the classic tartan got me to smile a little bit. :)

That said, most 70s/80s buses I remember as a kid had plain old vinyl seats rather than upholstered fabric, which was not as much fun when the seats were sitting in full sunlight in 40°C and having no air conditioning (likewise with the high floor trams before they were refurbished). The days of me riding an O305, B10M, SL200 or Leyland Tiger (or the odd 60s style bus with the slanted side windows) have unfortunately long gone, but at least I can still catch an "old" L94UB with a howling ZF Ecomat for my bus fix! Or at least once the coronavirus cases disappear and the restrictions are lifted...

Late night reminiscing over, I need some sleep.
Big Engine Mechanic

@Heihachi_73
That is all very true, I agree.
The seats these days look like some 5 year old got a crayon and scribbled all over them.
I especially miss when you could smoke on a bus with the window open.
huppypuppy
Favourite Vehicle: Custom-Denning Element BEV Bus

Post by huppypuppy »

Favourite bus would be the Mercedes-Benz O405NH with a Bustech low entry wheelchair accessible body
Favourite coach would be anything Scania - preference given to the Langley's K470EB 6x2*4 with a Coach Design body as it was the first 6x2*4 sold here

Favourite minibus would be the Iveco Daily Minibus with 16 seats or the latest Toyota Coaster Deluxe - I hate the Fuso Rosa as it has the most uncomfortable seats ever!
Love the new Custom Denning vehicles
Including the Adventurer School Bus
And the Endeavour Low Floor
And the new Element 100% Electric Bus - the first Aussie BEV bus
385BUZ

Post by 385BUZ »

Big Engine Mechanic wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:09 pm The seats these days look like some 5 year old got a crayon and scribbled all over them.
That is the most amazing thing I have ever heard - no joke! That sums them up amazingly
huppypuppy wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:51 pm Favourite minibus would be the Iveco Daily Minibus with 16 seats or the latest Toyota Coaster Deluxe - I hate the Fuso Rosa as it has the most uncomfortable seats ever!
I completely agree! I hate Fuso Rosa’s! And the latest Coasters (particularly Deluxes) and Iveco Daily are so underrated! They are both great vehicles!
Regards,
385BUZ

Big Engine Mechanic

That is the most amazing thing I have ever heard - no joke! That sums them up amazingly

Thankyou for your complement :D
huppypuppy

Post by huppypuppy »

385BUZ wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:35 pm I completely agree! I hate Fuso Rosa’s! And the latest Coasters (particularly Deluxes) and Iveco Daily are so underrated! They are both great vehicles!
The addition of the Hi-Matic 8 speed automatic transmission (which is the ZF 8HP26 auto) and standard rear electronically controlled airbag suspension has made the Daily Minibus a great all-rounder in a very competitive market!
huppypuppy

Post by huppypuppy »

Big Engine Mechanic wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:25 am That is the most amazing thing I have ever heard - no joke! That sums them up amazingly

Thankyou for your complement :D
Big Engine Mechanic, you can have this virtual crown to wear now!
Big Engine Mechanic

Big Engine Mechanic, you can have this virtual crown to wear now!
[/quote]

:lol:
Attachments
randoms258.jpg
randoms258.jpg (14.55 KiB) Viewed 6604 times
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

I know this thread has been dormant for two months. But I thought I'd reply anyway.

In response to the original question, it's hard to answer. The CNG MAN NL202s at Morphettville are vanilla as excluding one. Can barely notice any difference regarding the Boeing 747 like note they have to them. I tend to think that the diesel NL202s are better unless the CNG NL bus is doing over 80.

This is just an subtlety in regards to a slight preference towards CNG buses. It is always pleasing to see them out, as Adelaide is littered with so many diesel Scania mobile washing machines now. But without knowing what CNG SL200s were like, plus not getting rides on more of the O305(G)s, I cannot come to a full conclusion. MAN SL202 1640 was the clear winner from 2015 to 2019 (it's most likely scrap metal now), but I cannot comfortably declare it my number one favourite.

Body wise, the B58s with the short wheel base. Very stylish and unique compared to the very bland appearance of the SL202s.

Most disliked? The Dennis Darts were pretty bad. But I don't recall them being as uncomfortable as what the newest buses in service look to be.

Edit: Toned down description
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

In the sound department, give me a Voith B12BLEA any day. Easily the most bus-sounding buses in PTA service in Perth, second to none. The diesel O405NHs come second in this, followed by the CNG NHs. Outside of PTA, I'd easily throw in an O305G between the B12 and the NH. Least-impressive sound award goes to (no surprises here) a CNG OC500LE. Extremely quiet, save for some of the older models, although these buses are good if you're a big fan of crystal clear Ecomat sounds.

In terms of performance, the diesel NH midis (in the hands of a good driver) are certainly the most zippy buses I've been on, probably only seconded by a B8. For an over 30-year old bus, ex O-Bahn O305Gs perform quite well, easily maintaining 100 down the Mitchell Freeway whereas something like a CNG OC500LE would struggle to maintain that. Least worthy performance goes to either an Irisbus Citelis with Ecomat (although TP3002 is getting noticeably better) or a CNG NH, I've only experienced the Transcom model and not the N/A model, so not much to say for natural aspiration unfortunately. They seem to barely be able to keep up to speed.

Ride smoothness-wise, I'd put an O305G in first place after being able to experience it. PTA fleet-wise, I'd put it somewhere between an OC and a B8. Least smooth ride goes to probably a Toyota Coaster...

Body-wise aesthetically, an Optimus B8 is my go, although the Custom Endeavour is pretty stylish as well. I feel like Bustech have failed in this regard to create an appealing body design. With regards to history, I'd put an MTT-spec Renault in first, followed with a StÜLB-fronted O305. I've found their designs neatly accentuated and stylish. Most boring 'modern' design goes to the original Bustech VST, although it was good practically. Second-last goes to the "never want to see that again" Custom 550. Most boring 'historic' design goes to the VöV I-fronted O305. Sharp edges make it look substantially generic - the StÜLB design fixed this with a rounded-off front to help transition it into the 'modern age.'

When it comes to sturdiness and quality, since experiencing a PMCSA O305G, I'll put that in first place. After over 30 years, it rides smooth and with virtually no rattling about or excessive vibrations. Next on the list is any pre-CR228L Volgren, followed by the pre-Futurebus CR228L. From there, it varies widely from bus to bus. Voith B7 CR228Ls are generally slightly above average at best. ZF B8 Optimi are generally the best in-production model as far as I've experienced, followed by ZF B7 Optimi, although results vary - for instance, TP2539 has an issue with the panel above the doors rattling off to who knows what, whilst most don't have that issue. ZF B7 CR228Ls are generally very rough, followed by Voith B7 Optimi which are downright disastrous.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

I have hopped on the Mercedes Benz O405 (diesel) VOlgren TOST and they contain a zippy 4-speed ZF Ecomat Auto transmission. I have hopped on this bus from Queen Vic St to Canning Bridge Interchange and the bus zipped from 1st to 2nd gear very quickly. The good news was that it didn't rattle as it idles at the traffic lights. Sadly, they are no longer with Transperth anymore as they have been replaced with Volvo buses. A few of them were towed to scrap.
I also liked the Mercedes Benz O405NH Midis as they have a Voith 4-speed auto transmission. Some of the buses have the air vents which alters the engine sound. I've never been on the Volgren CR226L version, but have been on the CR225L.
FOr the Volvos, I preferred the B8RLE as it has a ZF EcoLife 6-speed automatic transmission. With an Ecolife transmission, It is much quieter than a Volvo bus with a Voith transmission (The sound of the B12LEA was louder than a B7, but slightly quieter than the antiquated Renault buses). Being on a newbie B8RLE provides more comfort.
huppypuppy

Post by huppypuppy »

Shoudy Chen wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:46 pm I have hopped on the Mercedes Benz O405 (diesel) VOlgren TOST and they contain a zippy 4-speed ZF Ecomat Auto transmission. I have hopped on this bus from Queen Vic St to Canning Bridge Interchange and the bus zipped from 1st to 2nd gear very quickly. The good news was that it didn't rattle as it idles at the traffic lights. Sadly, they are no longer with Transperth anymore as they have been replaced with Volvo buses. A few of them were towed to scrap.
I also liked the Mercedes Benz O405NH Midis as they have a Voith 4-speed auto transmission. Some of the buses have the air vents which alters the engine sound. I've never been on the Volgren CR226L version, but have been on the CR225L.
FOr the Volvos, I preferred the B8RLE as it has a ZF EcoLife 6-speed automatic transmission. With an Ecolife transmission, It is much quieter than a Volvo bus with a Voith transmission (The sound of the B12LEA was louder than a B7, but slightly quieter than the antiquated Renault buses). Being on a newbie B8RLE provides more comfort.
Dubbo Buslines has a predominately Volvo fleet with a few Mercs and a couple of Rosas scattered through - 90% of the Volvos are B7R's and B7RLE's with 2 B8R's and 1 B8RLE in for good measure!

Return to “The Lunch Room”