1993 Sydney 2000 Olympic Games host city bid win

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Campbelltown busboy

1993 Sydney 2000 Olympic Games host city bid win

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

For members born before 1990 as you would have some memory of this moment if you can remember. When did you first find out about Sydney winning the right to host the 2000 Olympics as it happened in 1993 I was a 6 year old trying to figure out what all the fuss was about
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: 1993 Sydney 2000 Olympic Games host city bid win

Post by Swift »

I heard a replay of Antonio Samaranch butchering the name of Sydney as I walked towards the living room after getting out of bed. I thought did I really hear the winner is Sydey in a tone of voice strongly suggesting he couldn't believe it either.
I had to hear it again for it to sink in. I really was expecting to hear the name of another city get announced. I would have shrugged my shoulders and thought typical Sydney being overlooked by the world as usual. Not this time. I was of course elated at the time but miss the Sydney pre Olympics. I think it caused the worst aspects of the city to come to the fore making it a very conceited town which is more evident than ever.
Give me back the 80s Sydney with a milk bar selling streets ice blocks on the suburban street corner and a Holden Kingswood cab rounding same corner.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

I Was driving a route 433 bus millers point to balmain just left the term at millers point there were crowds everywere at the pubs wasn't untill I GOT TO the old maratime building that it was announced 7 ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE People were trying to rock the bus thought they were going to tip it over I REFUSED to open the doors had glasses beer bottles can smashed about 10 windows the police pulled me up under the quay railway turffed everyboby off &Y I WENT BACK TO THE DEPOT AT RYDE TOOK ME OVER A HOUR & HALF TO GET THROUGH THE CITY arrived back 3 hours late glad it was all over!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

^ Just showing they picked the wrong city!!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.

Return to “The Lunch Room”