Political discussion

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Re: Political discussion

Post by captainch »

IF your old enough to fight for your country at 18 YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DRINK WHEN I was 20 we were not able to drink beer at 20 my dad was fined 50 pound for buying me beer the night before I WENT TO VIETNAM You had to be 21 to drink in QUEENSLAND!THE ONLY TIME WE COULD LEAGALLY
DRINK IN QLD WAS ON A ARMY BASE BECAUSE IT WAS COMONWEATH PROPERTY!
Last edited by captainch on Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Can someone explain the rationale behind that age 21 rule?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That was when you turned adult.
Living in the Shire.
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

I strongly believe the legal age limit should be at least 21 in Australia Where you should have finished school by that age. 18 in my mind sounds too young, you have school students that turn 18 usually in their final year of school and those beers can sneak into schools where 18 year olds give them to their underage mates. I also believe the legal voting age should be lowered to 16 but at that age its optional but mandatory from 18.
Last edited by MotorOmnibus8562 on Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
eddy

Post by eddy »

I and all my four siblings were married before 21, maybe kids mature older these days.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
captainch

Post by captainch »

YES I Was married at 19 and 6 months 2 OF MY BROTHERS married at 18.
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

MotorOmnibus8562 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:58 am I strongly believe the legal age limit should be at least 21 in Australia Where you should have finished school by that age. 18 in my mind sounds too young, you have school students that turn 18 usually in their final year of school and those beers can sneak into schools where 18 year olds give them to their underage mates. I also believe the legal voting age should be lowered to 16 but at that age its optional but mandatory from 18.
You do realise that under 18s regularly drink, despite the legal age being 18? Increasing the age to 21 would just encourage more underage drinking
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

MotorOmnibus8562 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:58 am I strongly believe the legal age limit should be at least 21 in Australia Where you should have finished school by that age. 18 in my mind sounds too young, you have school students that turn 18 usually in their final year of school and those beers can sneak into schools where 18 year olds give them to their underage mates. I also believe the legal voting age should be lowered to 16 but at that age its optional but mandatory from 18.
So you can cast your ballot on election day which affects the whole nation or state, but can't choose to drink for yourself? Something wrong with that one.
captainch

Post by captainch »

YOU CAN VOTE AT 18 FIGHT FOR YOUR COUNTRY GET CREDIT-AND DRINK AT A CLUB OR HOTEL.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Evidently it is because they have good roads, fast cars and cheap petrol in America https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aWYJugVTs4

I don’t think many kids have cars in China thus generally it is 18 https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/health-w ... k-us-where
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
eddy

Post by eddy »

Perhaps it would be good if China was reminded of how our wharfies stood up against “pig iron Bob” in 1938 https://www.labourhistory.org.au/hummer ... /pig-iron/
eddy

Post by eddy »

I believe the climate is changing but am unsure if we are causing it but here is a good video on why Americans are climate deniers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1rxv1yPQrc

Interesting Scomo at 13 minutes. :lol:
MotorOmnibus8562

eddy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:19 am I believe the climate is changing but am unsure if we are causing it but here is a good video on why Americans are climate deniers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1rxv1yPQrc

Interesting Scomo at 13 minutes. :lol:
In my mind, I strongly believe that we caused the climate crisis. CO2 causes heat to be trapped in our atmosphere and here is the part that confuses people when you see record low temperatures in winter, greenhouse gases cause norevmoisture to beld in the clouds which lead to more intense rain and snow.
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

And when did this start?
Living in the Shire.
MotorOmnibus8562

It has always been happening, it never happened this rapidly before.
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

When will the next time that ether major party will select a successful non Sydney based MP to lead them to a election win
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Lt. Commander Data wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:53 pm
You do realise that under 18s regularly drink, despite the legal age being 18? Increasing the age to 21 would just encourage more underage drinking
That's because in Australia, getting drunk and/or smoking and/or bringing pot/heroin/ice to school is just a way of showing that you're a man and not a boy, thus you're a cool kid if you have one of those naughty things that kids aren't allowed to have.

We still aren't stigmatising people for being drunk, unlike the average lowly ice addict going on a random "smash some c%$t" binge when they can't get their fix (or when they're coming back down from one), in Australia it's still a race to see which bogan can out-bogan the other bogans by drinking three litres (if not nine litres e.g. a 24 pack) of booze in as short time as possible without throwing up. Treat drunks in exactly the same manner as ice addicts and I'm sure the message will get through (except for the one-percenters of course). Seen any Winfield ads on Australian TV lately? Of course not. Meanwhile, the Great Northern Brewing Co will happily play their sh!tty song the instant it reaches 8:30PM while VB proudly announces the fact they have gone solar. Never mind crap like The Front Bar, which is just one giant ad for Carlton Draught with a bit of footy or cricket talk on the side. Meat, sugar and white bread would probably be banned before the government even thinks of losing a cent of beer revenue.

The drinking age being 21 in America is ridiculous, you can have a full driver's license at 16 but can't drink until 21. A nonsensical rule that makes no attempt at rectifying the problem. Hold a phone while driving and you will get pinged in an instant; drive while drunk, you won't even get a second look unless you're weaving all over the road or have already crashed.

Time to turn all the alcohol cans and bottles drab olive and put a picture of a blood-covered car accident victim on them. While taxing them to the hilt until 2030 so it's $30 a can like they did with cigarettes (a 20-pack of the cheapest cigarettes is $27.50 as of December 2020).
MotorOmnibus8562

Donald trump now banned from facebook, Twitter and instagram.
Betting ads are pests
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Campbelltown busboy

The whole of the American electoral and political systems need to have a major overhaul. Then there is the whole party candidate selection process witch is a number of knock out style primaries witch any non politicians with a lot of financial backing like Trump can join in with
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Sin taxes are a poltically expedient revenue raiser, particularly in the case of smokers. I think they generated about $7bn a year in revenue 5yrs ago, now the price has doubled, but smoking rates are steady... Make that $15bn, on top of smokers who are employed, paying tax on everything else and maybe even paying for private health cover - I think they MORE than pay for any suppose detriment on the public purse over a lifetime of smoking, why else hasn't the Government banned it?

Plain packaging? What a joke. The packs had already been hidden in cupboards for years away from prying eyes. It just made the job harder for cashiers. And again, had next to no effect on smoking rates (in fact I think there were concerns smoking rates were climbing again).

At some point the public have to accept the consequences of poor lifestyle choices. People cannot sit around and wait for someone else to make a law ensuring you make only healthy choices.
Last edited by Merc1107 on Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

But who is to decide what are healthy choices and what are not. There are quite a few obvious choices but there are a lot which most people would not agree on.
Living in the Shire.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Fleet Lists wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:30 pm But who is to decide what are healthy choices and what are not. There are quite a few obvious choices but there are a lot which most people would not agree on.
my apologies, my brain got ahead of my typing. The post has been amended.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Fleet Lists wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:30 pm But who is to decide what are healthy choices and what are not. There are quite a few obvious choices but there are a lot which most people would not agree on.
Perhaps if you have handlebars like the Dutch you may not need hats like them.
eddy

Post by eddy »

This is a good video on Putin and the mafia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttM-O-j1AVs
Campbelltown busboy

Predictions for the date and outcome of the next federal election
Sometime between November 2021 and May 2022 possible liberal win

Upcoming state elections
2021 WA election;labor win
2022 Victorian election;possible labor win
2023 NSW election;could go ether way

Return to “The Lunch Room”