The Good Deeds Thread

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

The Good Deeds Thread

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

What have you done lately for a stranger, friend or family or relative that you'd consider a good deed?

Here is mine: I was sitting at Waratah station recently waiting to catch a train when I saw a little Ute with a little fibreglass cab (example pictured below) going up towards the Bend that takes you to the Waratah side of the station and it's back cargo doors were swinging open and weren't shut properly which would pose a huge hazard if a car get's struck by it, as I saw the ute heading up towards the bend I quickly ran from the station to flag the driver down as he came down towards the Waratah side, he pulled over in a turning lane to turn right and I quickly walked up to he's side window and said "Hey mate just thought I'd let you know your back doors are swinging open" I didn't hear what he said but assume he said thanks or something. He quickly made the turn to somewhere he could pull over and I didn't see what happened afterwards but assumed he was able to fix the doors up.

So there's my good deed for that day, what are yours?

Transport from the Hunter Valley & Beyond - cr228l.com
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Re: The Good Deeds Thread

Post by TA3001 »

Somehow managing to not piss anybody off within the first 67 minutes of today. The space-time continuum will be an obvious indication of whether or not this trend is maintained.
Last edited by TA3001 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

hope the rest of the day went well for you.
"CAPTAIN.C.H Still lives" :twisted: :shock: "JUST"
ArfaBrayne

Post by ArfaBrayne »

Nice idea for a thread - a bit of positive thought.
As an old school Scouter it's part of the DNA.
As a bus driver we get the chance to affect the day of every passenger. = it's a perk of the job.
Don't think there's a day goes past where there isn't someone I've made smile or helped out a bit, in the end it's just how you roll.

eg. yesterday saw a mum who's house I drive past to start the run, so teed up with her to pick up her kids as I drive past, instead of getting her to drive them half a k to the start of the run each morning. win win.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Not sure if it's a good deed per-say but at the Newcastle LR community day today two people (Female and her older) mother wanted me to take a photo of them in front of the light-rail tram, I can't pass up doing a good photo op for people so I did it (On their own device of course)

Also attempted to help a tourist today who could speak minimal English, she wanted to go to the beach but communication barriers made it difficult between both of us, she actually was looking at her phone trying to translate text into English. How it went is she said something like "Excuse me" and showed me the screen on her phone and all I could say at first was "I don't speak your language sorry because all I was seeing at first was their own language characters on the screen" but I looked further down and saw "seabeach" translated into English (I'll give her points for at least trying to translate) She wanted to know how to get there by PT I think, but being a Sunday and me not being familiar with Newcastle Transport weekend timetable (not even off by heart) all I could do was point her towards the bus stop across the road and say someone waiting there might know.

I could've also pointed her towards the Light-rail but remember this was a community day and it was already packed so I didn't, definitely quicker to take the bus this time around. I'm just hoping she ended up at the beach she wanted to go to since there's Nobbies and Mereweather Beach.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I was on a Scania K94UB Volgren CR228L this morning sitting up the front behind the driver, I was getting tired of staring at a wall in front of me and the view out the window wasn't anything to be amazed about so was hoping another seat would become free. This old lady I'd say in her 60's eventually get's off and I'm thinking I'll take the seat that she was in since now it's free, as I'm about to sit down I notice that there's a pink bag left behind on the seat, the driver had already closed the doors and was about to take off but I quickly alerted him that the lady had left behind her bag and he opened the doors and let me quickly run it to her I make a quick dash to give it to her saying things like "Excuse me" along the way to her but she might of not been hearing me so I get a bit closer and got her attention and she was so thankful that I got her bag for her, she gives a quick thanks and we part our ways, I get back on the bus and the driver gives me a thumbs up. Deed well done.

This isn't the first time I've recovered lost property on a bus. Previously I've found an Iphone on a bus but the bus had started a new route at it's first stop so the passenger that the phone belongs too was long gone but I handed into the driver and from there I assume he's handed it into the Depots lost property box.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

I've seen a passenger hand me an item I unwittingly left behind as I alighted from an artic to board a feeder service. He had to literally get out of his seat, and hand it to me through the doorway. This is where the video screen that shows what's occurring in the trailer proves to be useful, as the driver may initially have not understood what was going on.

I tend to alert passengers who make similar errors, and I don't seem to have caused armageddon by doing so.

Return to “The Lunch Room”