The Motoring Thread- for the motoring enthusiasts here

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

eddy

Re: The Motoring Thread- for the motoring enthusiasts here

Post by eddy »

This is a good video comparing the Tesla to a BMW http://media.smh.com.au/cars/car-review ... 77786.html

I was trying to work out how much it costs to go 100km in a Tesla and in the SMH normal driving run they used 248Wh/km so I figure about $6/100km?
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
chuboy
Favourite Vehicle: The oldest in revenue service.

Post by chuboy »

Well eddy after all the sh*t people have given you, it turns out you were just a bit ahead of your time with your crazy concept vehicle.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/392601/daih ... of-access/

It's too bad you weren't CCing Daihatsu into your emails to Ford and Holden.
crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Post by crazyturbo76 »

eddy wrote:This is a good video comparing the Tesla to a BMW http://media.smh.com.au/cars/car-review ... 77786.html

I was trying to work out how much it costs to go 100km in a Tesla and in the SMH normal driving run they used 248Wh/km so I figure about $6/100km?
I saw a video on YouTube a few weeks ago where they compared the performance of one of the Tesla Model S P85Ds to one of the newest HSV Clubsports out.The Tesla was able to outrun the big V8.

So you could say that not only are electric cars better for the environment (and in some cases economical to run), but they can also boast a fair heap of performance too.
eddy

Post by eddy »

chuboy wrote:Well eddy after all the sh*t people have given you, it turns out you were just a bit ahead of your time with your crazy concept vehicle.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/392601/daih ... of-access/

It's too bad you weren't CCing Daihatsu into your emails to Ford and Holden.
Thanks for that :D

Once again the best vehicle is the one that does a particular job best.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
scott

Post by scott »

Preliminary figures out today have further confirmed that Ford and Holden are on the nose with Australian car buyers, 6000 Falcons were sold in 2015.

If the Ranger was not selling well, Ford would be in deep manure. The Fiesta and Focus are not going at all well with the Focus down 58% and the Mondeo is rubbish and the old model sold better.

The Toyota Camry was the top selling car in December, with Toyota as a brand being the number one supplier of vehicles in Australia.

My ex neighbours just bought a 2014 Camry Altise which was an ex Europcar rental vehicle via Patterson Cheney Toyota in Dandenong and the car is just wonderful, has no issues and the dealer experience was excellent, Patterson Cheney told them they get a lot of these Camry's as the rental companies release them and they are alway sold very quickly.

Just a boring white Camry to most people, but it serves them very well.
B10BLE
Favourite Vehicle: C63 AMG Black

Post by B10BLE »

A photo of the Commodore after 2017 has been leaked, it however has an Opel badge.

Contra la Luna
scott

Post by scott »

At least the grille looks a bit VF-ish.

But will Aussies accept it?, The proof will be in the sales.

It is going to be designated the NG series.
mubd

Post by mubd »

Ew, an opel.

Makes me yearn for the good old days when Australia made Australian cars:

/sarcasm
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

In truth what we're seeing is a "back to the future" exercise....
The Commodores from day one were essentially Opel designs.
scott

Post by scott »

Yes an Opel design, but at least it was built by Aussies and had Aussie drivetrains and designed for Aussie roads.
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Post by CCCC »

New commodore comes with a diesel option, which is what they should always have had..
B10BLE

Post by B10BLE »

More 2018 Commie photos.

Contra la Luna
mubd

Post by mubd »

scott wrote:Yes an Opel design, but at least it was built by Aussies and had Aussie drivetrains and designed for Aussie roads.
This "built for Australian conditions" marketing stuff is totally meaningless. It implies that Australia is the only place in the world where potholes, unsealed roads and high temperatures exist, and that the car needs to be specifically engineered to tolerate these conditions.

Look at the Toyota Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol. EVERYONE in the harshest Australian landscapes drive them, not Commodores or Falcons. And they're not customised for Australian conditions at all.

However, I personally would question GM's logic in importing an Opel as Holden's flagship car, though, considering the shocking reputation they have over here. I believe that if they had imported the American Buick and Cadillac equivalents, it would have allowed them to save face, because they still would have had a rear wheel drive car in the lineup. But I suppose the bean counters at GM calculated that it was cheaper to import the Opel and try and market Holden as being all "European", versus the cost of converting the American cars to right-hand drive.
huppypuppy
Favourite Vehicle: Custom-Denning Element BEV Bus

Post by huppypuppy »

While we're on the topic of new Holdens, shall I introduce the new Holden Acadia SUV??? Sourced from GMC in America, this behemoth will be available in Australia with two engine/driveline options (2.5 litre 4 cylinder/front wheel drive or a 3.6 litre V6/AWD) with your choice of 5, 6 or 7 seats!

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/hold ... r5xa5.html
Love the new Custom Denning vehicles
Including the Adventurer School Bus
And the Endeavour Low Floor
And the new Element 100% Electric Bus - the first Aussie BEV bus
ben73

Post by ben73 »

huppypuppy wrote:Image

While we're on the topic of new Holdens, shall I introduce the new Holden Acadia SUV??? Sourced from GMC in America, this behemoth will be available in Australia with two engine/driveline options (2.5 litre 4 cylinder/front wheel drive or a 3.6 litre V6/AWD) with your choice of 5, 6 or 7 seats!

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/hold ... r5xa5.html
Need more of those American SUV's in Australia.
I am a fan of SUV's but hardly like any you can buy in Australia.
That Arcadia looks a million times better than the Colorado 7 parked next to it.

SUV's in Australia seam to be too soft/crossover like or too much of a 4x4. I like the American style ones which we lack here.
A brand new Explorer with the 3.5 V6 turbo Ecoboost is something I would buy if they brought it to Australia.

Give us some more petrol SUV's. Diesel is good, but I am getting sick of owning one.
Loud, rattly, major turbo lag, sounds industrial and just slow in general. I know there are more refined diesel than what I own, but most 4x4 ones are nothing special.
Good fuel consumption though.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 200 character limit
scott

Post by scott »

Toyota Hilux is the top selling new vehicle in 2016, the first time a ute has been on top. Toyota as a brand topped the overall Australian vehicle market with 209,000 sales. The Corolla was the second best seller with 40,000 sold and the Camry the best selling locally made vehicle with 26,000 sales.

Holden had a bad year with 94,000 sales, about as much as the Commodore alone did in the heady days of the late 1990's, they will struggle when the locally made Commodore is killed off, a model which makes up 25 percent of sales.

I know someone who has a 1992 Corolla Seca, as a second car, can't kill it with an axe.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Not entirely surprising, The Ford F100/150 was top seller in the USA for years.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

mubd wrote:
scott wrote:Yes an Opel design, but at least it was built by Aussies and had Aussie drivetrains and designed for Aussie roads.
This "built for Australian conditions" marketing stuff is totally meaningless. It implies that Australia is the only place in the world where potholes, unsealed roads and high temperatures exist, and that the car needs to be specifically engineered to tolerate these conditions.

Look at the Toyota Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol. EVERYONE in the harshest Australian landscapes drive them, not Commodores or Falcons. And they're not customised for Australian conditions at all.

However, I personally would question GM's logic in importing an Opel as Holden's flagship car, though, considering the shocking reputation they have over here. I believe that if they had imported the American Buick and Cadillac equivalents, it would have allowed them to save face, because they still would have had a rear wheel drive car in the lineup. But I suppose the bean counters at GM calculated that it was cheaper to import the Opel and try and market Holden as being all "European", versus the cost of converting the American cars to right-hand drive.
It is not equitable to compare the Land Cruiser or Patrol with run of the mill cars adapting to "Australian conditions".

The drop in value of the AU$ compared to the US$ would probably put the US models out of price contention. Not to mention their availability in RHD.
@ The Museum of Fire.
eddy

Post by eddy »

Always thought that if there was an online survey of what type of car people wanted and Toyota Australia produced thousands exactly identical and paid for off the plan up front they may be able to buy it for half price and that may be sufficient for them to overlook things like the colour.

Anyway while browsing around to find the difference in cost between made to order cars and big batches I came across this http://www.autonews.com/article/2016060 ... order-cars

I think we have put individuality above price and maybe with the world being broke the average Joe will forget about his dreams and buy the best bang for the buck.
boronia

Post by boronia »

mubd wrote:

Many cars built overseas are usually built to less demanding road conditions and driver expectations than
exist in Australia. It is well known that Korean cars have had to have suspension modifications to be successful here. I can recall some Euro sports models having to be "softened" up for our market
@ The Museum of Fire.
B10BLE

Post by B10BLE »

According to VicPol, Saturday Night Live, which is held every Saturday night at BP on the side of Eastlink in Scoresby (northbound) has been shut down because of safety concerns. The event keeps getting bigger every weekend drawing more car enthusiasts and photographers.

Bad idea. Maybe relocating it somewhere that's bigger than a service station car park on the side of a freeway would be better than spoiling the fun for photographers and enthusiasts.
Contra la Luna
mubd

Post by mubd »

In Sydney the main (unofficial) car enthusiast meet is at Krispy Kreme outlet at Liverpool on a Saturday night.

I went to that BP on Eastlink (not on Saturday though) and thought it was massive, but evidently not large enough for the crowd though.

Reading the posts on Facebook, it was mainly shut down because people were drinking in public (then causing trouble) and also parking on the emergency lane of the freeway when there was no space left. There's probably somewhere else they can go, but they'll need to ban alcohol for sure. Apparently that's a major problem at Summernats, too - drunk bogan f**kwits getting on the piss and doing dumb XXX like standing in the path of a car doing a burnout, as well as the general bad behaviour.
eddy

Post by eddy »

crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Post by crazyturbo76 »

All part of Holden's plan to adopt a more upper-class identity: a more upmarket Commodore. https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/2 ... rket-53659

Also, apparently Toyota's making a new hot hatch Yaris - 1.8 L supercharged engine, supposed to be a Focus/Fiesta RS/ST competitor. 100 units are supposed to be going to Japan, France and Germany, but it won't be sold here https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/2 ... ture-53681
scott

Post by scott »

I think the 2018 Commodore will bomb. Just look at the poor sales of the now premium Astra. Holden are going away from their roots as the every mans car, and to their detriment. Going upper class is going to ruin them I think.

If they had an basic Astra spec with a normally aspirated 1.8 litre engine, up against the Corolla Ascent, they may have a chance.

Return to “The Lunch Room”