Least favourite suburb in Australia

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

User avatar
BroadGauge
Posts: 3671
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:20 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Car
Location: NSW

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by BroadGauge »

V761 wrote:No they aren't, they are in South East Queensland.
I find it hard to see any reason why a suburb 30km from the centre of Brisbane, joined by continious suburbia should not be considered part of Brisbane simply because it's in a different local council. Anyway the official definition of the "Brisbane metropolitan area" agrees with me:

http://www.environment.gov.au/settlemen ... ne-map.pdf

To those not familiar with Brisbane, it's like saying that Macquarie Fields is not part of Sydney, or Smithfield is not part of Adelaide.
V761 wrote:I suppose by your logic the Gold Coast is in the Brisbane Metro area?
Umm no.
Sb617
Posts: 1621
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 8:44 pm

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by Sb617 »

Albatross wrote:
V761 wrote:
No they aren't, they are in South East Queensland. I suppose by your logic the Gold Coast is in the Brisbane Metro area?
It basically is. You have to go 10 or so km south of Tweed Heads before you're back in farmland. Before there it's mostly built up urban area from the big service centre on the side of the highway at Chinderah right into the middle of the Brisbane CBD. Just because it's an actual independent city doesn't mean it falls under another nearby city's metropolitan area.
By that logic, Toowoomba, the Sunshine Coast and Gympie are also a part of "Brisbane" then. On the other hand, lets just rename "South East Queensland" as "Brisbane" ;)
Unless stated otherwise, comments that are posted above are those of my own only, and are not those of any company or organisation.
User avatar
Albatross
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Around.

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by Albatross »

There's a difference between being part of Brisbane and being part of Brisbane's metropolitan area.

Although I am fairly sure that there's a hell of a lot of "open space" between Toowoomba and Brisbane than there is between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Likewise Gympie and the Sunshine Coast. Last time I drove back from Brisbane back down into New South Wales I only realised I'd left Brisbane and was now in the Gold Coast was when I saw signs for Surfer's Paradise. In practise there's no real seperation between the two beyond lines on maps.
User avatar
V761
Posts: 943
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:30 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Dennings with Pussies in them.
Location: Not on a Scania.

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by V761 »

BroadGauge wrote:
V761 wrote:No they aren't, they are in South East Queensland.
I find it hard to see any reason why a suburb 30km from the centre of Brisbane, joined by continious suburbia should not be considered part of Brisbane simply because it's in a different local council. Anyway the official definition of the "Brisbane metropolitan area" agrees with me:

http://www.environment.gov.au/settlemen ... ne-map.pdf

To those not familiar with Brisbane, it's like saying that Macquarie Fields is not part of Sydney, or Smithfield is not part of Adelaide.
V761 wrote:I suppose by your logic the Gold Coast is in the Brisbane Metro area?
Umm no.
If you say so, but a bit of 'information' the government put out doesn't sway reality. According to that Wamuran is in the Brisbane Metro area as is Jimboomba. Ask anyone there what they think, I'll guarantee they don't think they are part of Brisbane.

And according to the 'map' Parts of the Gold Coast are, so you are incorrect.
V761 - The first BT scania I caught.

Down with ' !'

OHMAIGAWDZ00R!!1!11! A T BUS WOZ ON TEH 598!!11!11!!1!!!!1!!11
Happy Bus User
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:17 pm
Location: Brisbane, QLD

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by Happy Bus User »

I was only including it in Brisbane just to make it simple.. SIGH
Do you want everything categorically organised under LGA name? :roll:
Elimbah is definitely NOT in Brisbane.
User avatar
RailwayBus
Posts: 4356
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 9:40 am
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.
Location: Melbourne

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by RailwayBus »

V761 wrote:I also wouldn't say Loganlea, Beenleigh or Kingston are in Brisbane... they are in LOGAN.
V761 wrote:
BroadGauge wrote: What's your point, does it matter what local council they are in? They're still part of the Brisbane metropolitan area.
No they aren't, they are in South East Queensland.
Shut up. You have no idea.
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
User avatar
Off The Rails
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:47 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake
Location: No where near the Gutta

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by Off The Rails »

BroadGauge wrote: To those not familiar with Brisbane, it's like saying that Macquarie Fields is not part of Sydney, or Smithfield is not part of Adelaide.
And in Perth is like Pinjarra is part of Perth, where it's not.

Cheers!
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
laptop15
Posts: 1064
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 12:46 am
Location: Landsdale

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by laptop15 »

No its not its like saying Rockingham isnt a part of Perth, your way off...
User avatar
Power
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:31 pm
Favourite Vehicle: V741

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by Power »

Htf did Chermside, Wavell Heights get in that list there is nothing wrong with them? Rosalie isn't a suburb out right it is a nickname of a part of a suburb BAM!!!

Bad Suburbs My List
(Brisbane LGA incl Gold Coast)
-Strathpine,
-Lawnton
-Redcliffe
-Inala
- Parts of Mt Gravatt
-Goodna
-Wulkuraka
-Redbank and Redbank Plains
-Eagleby ( Very High class area with alot of exaggeration)
- Kingston
-Chapel Hill (everyone I know who lives there is a pest)
-McGregor/Sunnybank
-Browns Plains
-Albany Creek
-Caboolture
-Beenleigh
- Pacific Pines/Nerang
-Mansfield
-Algester/Parkinson

Sydney
I've never been to Sydney but apparently Campbelltown and Wollongong are pretty bad.
Happy Bus User wrote:Brisbane:

Bindha
Beenleigh
Loganlea
Kingston
Caboolture
Shailer Park
Woodridge
Rosalie
Murarrie
Nundah
Kunda Park
Mango Hill
Goodna
Chermside
Wavell Heights
Bracken Ridge
Strathpine
Wacol
Inala
Redbank Plains
North Lakes
Springwood
Ebbw Vale
Tell me how Swag is going to pay your bills in 10 years time?
User avatar
Power
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:31 pm
Favourite Vehicle: V741

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by Power »

Happy Bus User wrote:I was only including it in Brisbane just to make it simple.. SIGH
Do you want everything categorically organised under LGA name? :roll:
Elimbah is definitely NOT in Brisbane.
Yes It is, and Willow Vale/Pimpama/Jacobs Well are in Brisbane as well you could include Beaudesert as Brisbane
Tell me how Swag is going to pay your bills in 10 years time?
User avatar
Off The Rails
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:47 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake
Location: No where near the Gutta

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by Off The Rails »

laptop15 wrote:No its not its like saying Rockingham isnt a part of Perth, your way off...
Incase you haven't noticed, Rockingham is CLOSER to Perth than Pinjarra. And Rockingham has a closer connection by PT than Pinjarra.

Cheers!
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
laptop15
Posts: 1064
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 12:46 am
Location: Landsdale

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by laptop15 »

Thats the point Pinjarra is to far away for it to be in Perth which he was not saying, Rockingham is a better Perth example then Pinjarra - It is about the same distance from the CBD as Smithfield in Adelaide.
User avatar
Off The Rails
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:47 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake
Location: No where near the Gutta

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by Off The Rails »

laptop15 wrote:Thats the point Pinjarra is to far away for it to be in Perth which he was not saying, Rockingham is a better Perth example then Pinjarra - It is about the same distance from the CBD as Smithfield in Adelaide.
Q. Is Bendigo part of Melbourne?
A. NO.
Q. Is Pinjarra part of Perth?
A. NO.
Pinjarra is 90 km away ( depending which way you take )from Perth. Rockingham is 30 km away from Pinjarra. Now, may we please get back on topic.

Cheers!
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
User avatar
Mr OC Benz
Moderator
Posts: 5744
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:18 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German
Location: Sydney, NSW

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by Mr OC Benz »

I don't think using Pinjarra is a good example. Pinjarra has always been out of the Perth Metro Area and has never been considered a part of it (as far as I'm aware). Rockingham back a decade or two would've been considered on the verge of the Metro area.

However, Mandurah was at one stage considered to be "different" to Perth or not connected to Perth, they were more of holiday destinations back in the late 20th century just like Yanchep and Two Rocks. All three are a part of the Perth Metropolitan Area today. Maybe once more development occurs east of Mandurah, Pinjarra will be considered a part of Perth. I seriously doubt any major development between Armadale/Byford and Pinjarra will occur to consider Pinjarra a part of Perth.

One day Bunbury will be considered a part of Perth as we continue to sprawl North-South... It's already a good 150km or more to get from the northern tip (Two Rocks) of the Metropolitan boundary to the Southern tip. (Bouvard)
nbus
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:28 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7RLE [Volgren]
Location: Brisbane

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by nbus »

Power what is wrong with Mansfield and do you even know anything about it or are you just taking it from others peoples posts so you can get more posts for your self and what about Woodridge or do you live there and think is is a great place.
No diggedy diggedy NB I`m the bad boy, roll MC, so sexy

I got the classy swag,Now that's why I get flagged.
User avatar
Power
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:31 pm
Favourite Vehicle: V741

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by Power »

nbus wrote:Power what is wrong with Mansfield and do you even know anything about it or are you just taking it from others peoples posts so you can get more posts for your self and what about Woodridge or do you live there and think is is a great place.
Mansfield, to me is a geographical bad area, and I've never liked it and there is a little bit more than normal crime in the area. Mansfield is on the Southside of Brisbane and major arterial roads are Mt Gravatt Capalaba Rd and Gateway Motorway.

Woodridge is ok, I personally think it is a suburb that is improving. If I had a choice I would make it all Industrial. Same with Eagleby it is also near Yatala and Pacific and Logan Motorways.

fyi, I was the first to mention Eagleby, I didn't poach it.
Tell me how Swag is going to pay your bills in 10 years time?
User avatar
V761
Posts: 943
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:30 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Dennings with Pussies in them.
Location: Not on a Scania.

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by V761 »

RailwayBus wrote:
Shut up. You have no idea.
I have more of an idea than you, so how about you shut the f*ck up before running your little mouth. :roll:
V761 - The first BT scania I caught.

Down with ' !'

OHMAIGAWDZ00R!!1!11! A T BUS WOZ ON TEH 598!!11!11!!1!!!!1!!11
User avatar
Off The Rails
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:47 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake
Location: No where near the Gutta

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by Off The Rails »

S**t, it's personal again!

Cheers!
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
nbus
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:28 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7RLE [Volgren]
Location: Brisbane

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by nbus »

There is no crime in Mansfield the crime is around logan and most of it in Woodridge/Park Ridge and that area and if there is any here it is from the logan people coming up here to rob all us hard working people.
No diggedy diggedy NB I`m the bad boy, roll MC, so sexy

I got the classy swag,Now that's why I get flagged.
User avatar
BroadGauge
Posts: 3671
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:20 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Car
Location: NSW

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by BroadGauge »

V761 wrote:
RailwayBus wrote:
Shut up. You have no idea.
I have more of an idea than you, so how about you shut the f*ck up before running your little mouth. :roll:
Then spill the beans on your justification like I have instead of making personal attacks on people.

What you're arguing is, in addition to the above examples, is like saying Dandenong is not in Melbourne and Clarkson is not in Perth.

Anyway as you're so stubborn about your opinion despite official facts and the views of most people proving against you, how about we just consider this argument closed.
User avatar
V761
Posts: 943
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:30 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Dennings with Pussies in them.
Location: Not on a Scania.

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by V761 »

BroadGauge wrote:

What you're arguing is, in addition to the above examples, is like saying Dandenong is not in Melbourne and Clarkson is not in Perth.

Anyway as you're so stubborn about your opinion despite official facts and the views of most people proving against you, how about we just consider this argument closed.
:roll:

I'm not stubborn, I'm speaking reality. I know HBU was doing it as a generalisation, but it's incorrect.

Do people in Dandenong consider themselves to be apart of Melbourne? ( I don't know because I don't live there.)

HOWEVER, in Brisbane, no one who lives in Caloundra, Wamuran, Jimboomba, Jacobs Well etc would say they are in Brisbane.
V761 - The first BT scania I caught.

Down with ' !'

OHMAIGAWDZ00R!!1!11! A T BUS WOZ ON TEH 598!!11!11!!1!!!!1!!11
User avatar
BroadGauge
Posts: 3671
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:20 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Car
Location: NSW

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by BroadGauge »

V761 wrote:Do people in Dandenong consider themselves to be apart of Melbourne?
Yes completely so, as do people in Werribee or Frankston which are similar or further distances away from Melbourne.
V761 wrote:HOWEVER, in Brisbane, no one who lives in Caloundra, Wamuran, Jimboomba, Jacobs Well etc would say they are in Brisbane.
The argument was about completely urbanised suburbs like Loganlea that are 28km from the CBD being in Brisbane, not suburbs on the Sunshine Coast 90km away, or villages of 800 people that are 30km past the Logan area on some back road.
User avatar
Power
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:31 pm
Favourite Vehicle: V741

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by Power »

BroadGauge wrote:
V761 wrote:Do people in Dandenong consider themselves to be apart of Melbourne?
Yes completely so, as do people in Werribee or Frankston which are similar or further distances away from Melbourne.
V761 wrote:HOWEVER, in Brisbane, no one who lives in Caloundra, Wamuran, Jimboomba, Jacobs Well etc would say they are in Brisbane.
The argument was about completely urbanised suburbs like Loganlea that are 28km from the CBD being in Brisbane, not suburbs on the Sunshine Coast 90km away, or villages of 800 people that are 30km past the Logan area on some back road.
Actually quite a few people at Jacobs Well classify themselves as living on the Brisbane-Gold Coast corridor and on rare occasions as Brisbane. Mansfield has crime it just has a bit more.
Tell me how Swag is going to pay your bills in 10 years time?
User avatar
Daz
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 1:44 am
Favourite Vehicle: 4964F Heritage
Location: The Hawkesbury

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by Daz »

How about Brisbane is in Brisbane, Logan is in Logan, Beauie is in Beaudesert, Gold coast is in Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast is in Sunshine Coast.

People in Jacobs Well say they live in Jacobs Well. I don't really like it there because the runway is short, bumpy and there are lots of mozzies. However, they do have a nice boat ramp which I have used frequently in the past.

Daz
Did you hear the scarecrow got an award? He was out standing in his field.
User avatar
08 XDi
Posts: 4250
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 7:31 am
Location: Elsewhere

Re: Least favourite suburb in Australia

Post by 08 XDi »

For Brisbane, I would not consider it out of the ordinary think of the whole of the following LGAs to be in "Brisbane" - Ipswich City, Redland City, Logan City and Moreton Bay Regional. You can certainly identify as being from Logan or Ipswich, but that is really no different to saying you are from Liverpool or Penrith (in more than one sense usually...)

"South-East Queensland" is a different beast to "Brisbane" which is really 2 concepts - the BCC area, and the Brisbane Statistical Division (which is the conventional meaning of Brisbane including the other LGAs above).

There is no way known anywhere on the Gold or Sunshine Coasts could reasonably be considered part of "Brisbane" in either sense, especially now Beenleigh and Eagleby have been handed to Logan.
Elvis has left the building!
Post Reply

Return to “The Lunch Room”