What A Mercedes 0305 Sounds Like With Voith.

Overseas related photos, videos, sound clips etc.

Moderator: Mr OC Benz

Forum rules
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

What A Mercedes 0305 Sounds Like With Voith.

Post by Swift »

Even though this is a MAN SL200 , this has the same rear axle as the mechanically similar Sydney 0305s, giving it the Sydney 0305 tune. The PTC did trial a Mark 1 0305 with the Voith, so this gives an insight into what it would have sounded like inside.
https://youtu.be/Euklx6SJ1c8?t=05m00s
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Re: What A Mercedes 0305 Sounds Like With Voith.

Post by Merc1107 »

There's nothing quite like a Voith. I find them the more agreeable type of gearbox to work with, in my own experience.
Swift

Post by Swift »

When we had Voith equipped MAN SL202s in the fleet, fellow drivers would deride them because they had tallish diffs, giving them a lagging feel from a standing start. This was a strength as it gave a nice smooth take off from a bus stop which didn't throw passengers around. I grew to enjoy it so much I would request them whenever possible. They were a fit for purpose vehicle. Something most drivers couldn't comprehend. They wanted the bus to perform like a car. People aren't always seated and certainly aren't restrained in a bus.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Those MAN NG313 artics in Brisbane seemed to possess the same quality as you describe of the SL202 when I caught them. The ride quality of these buses was intoxicating for someone who was visiting from a city overrun with vehicles of questionable smoothness.

The new generation of buses are certainly geared towards the "it must perform like a car" mentality that runs rife.
Between a powerful engine (that sometimes has inbuilt throttle delays like the Volvo B8 artics), door brakes that don't release smoothly and transmissions busying themselves with indecision about which gear, and whether or not the torque-converter is locked, one doesn't have much choice but to wait for passengers to find their way to a seat or handle before trying to move off.
Swift

Post by Swift »

There is literally a heavy price to pay for asking car like acceleration out of a heavy vehicle, and that is fuel consumption and wear. The MAN 18.320s and 19.320s with Voith have such powerful high twin turbo engines giving off high levels of torque that I can almost feel the Voith boxes about to melt with the driver hammering them in hydra m-dynamic 1st gear ratio. I was in Terrigal Beach the other day and one of Busways was climbing a very steep incline that takes it out of me walking, with foot at the gunwhales frying the gearbox. Must have been glowing orange !! The components must be under such pressures with these power plants putting out every higher outputs to fight the mass of the vehicle.
What happened to enough power to get the job done with reliability, minimal wear, and safety instead of a pi##ing contest between manufacturers for higher and higher power to advertise in their brochures.
Bus operators should be viewing restrained power outputs as a selling point, instead of getting buses that encourage abuse and rapid acceleration.

Return to “Overseas Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc.”