"Priscilla" Hino Freighter - What became of her??

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
dominodc122
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with a Detroit

"Priscilla" Hino Freighter - What became of her??

Post by dominodc122 »

And before anyone starts with the quips - I only watched the movie to see what the coach was!! :lol: - Anyone know her history and where she is now (probably the most famous ex tour coach in Australian history I would suspect!? 8)
Doc68
Favourite Vehicle: Technics sl1200

Re: "Priscilla" Hino Freighter - What became of her??

Post by Doc68 »

Not sure when the movie was made. But if it still has the Hino motor in it it's probably still on it's way home :lol:
The most accurate measure of acceleration in those old Hinos was with a calander :(
'GM 2strokes, still the most efficient engine ever developed for converting fuel into noise'.
Food has replaced sex in my life now I can't even get into my own pants
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Post by CCCC »

There was Feature in a previous truck and bus if I recall correctly.
Stan Biega was contracted by Olympic federation or what ever they were known as to find a similar bus to the movie.
Whether he found the original not sure.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

They ended up using a Denning instead for the Olympic`s.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

Looks like the IOC finally agreed on something and used a quality Australian Icon of motoring transport history - albeit with an american engine etc (dont tell the yanks that - they'll claim they invented the entire unit (must say I am a huge fan of MCIs though and was once lucky enough to drive an MC9 from Townsville to Mt Isa - to call it throaty would be an understatement!!! 8)
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

Last I recall (from many many years ago) the original vehicle was stolen and hasn't been found. Happy to be corrected if that's not right, but I remember it being posted on a previous incarnation of the board about 10 years ago.
Job done.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

after the movie it sat in a yard between st peters stn and erskineville on the left side still painted pink! for about 3 years!
"CAPTAIN.C.H Still lives" :twisted: :shock: "JUST"
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

DiAmOnD T
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Mandator Ex Browns no7

Post by DiAmOnD T »

The original one from the movie was last seen in storage in Caringbah along with Atlantean 1224 and Lepoard 3727. But that was back in the mid 90's

It was an ex Boronia tours (West Bankstown/Bankstown Strathfield) unit, IIRC
The Diesel Guy
- Mobile heavy vehicle repairs serving Sydney to Newcastle -

dieselguynsw@gmail.com
BBL 10
Favourite Vehicle: MCA/CAT 3208T

Post by BBL 10 »

As Andrew said earlier I too read a number of years ago in a newspaper and on this board that the coach mysteriously disappeared or pinched and has never been seen since. I stand corrected if anyone out there knows where it is but no one has ever spoken of it since its diappearence from that holding yard after the movie was shot. The bus isn't listed on any fleetlists that I can see, looks like it just totally vanished. Probabally hidden in some country farm shed somewhere.
CAT DIESEL POWER
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

If that's the case, it is a sad footnote to a movie that kicked off a lot of movie careers (Hugo Weaving etc) but also gave movie goers a glimpe of the real outback with a tour coach set into it, which to my mind should be saved for posterity - Now there will probably be those that would argue... and rightly so...that a Hino Freighter is not a pure Icon of Australian Motoring Transport History... but the fact that it is a "fair dinkum" ex aussie tour coach with a unique history can not be in doubt (imagine this in the Sydney Bus and Tram Museum - what a unique exhibit it would be!!! -it needs finding and saving for posterity!!!

ANY AND ALL LEADS IN FINDING THIS UNIQUE VEHICLE MOST WELCOME TO BE LEFT ON THIS THREAD - OR CONTACT ME IN CONFIDENCE IF REQUIRED AND i WILL PASS ON THE RELEVANT INFORMATION ON THIS MISSING VEHICLE TO ANY GROUP WHO WILL TAKE CARE OF ITS CONSERVANCY.

Cheers

Chris Lind
Croc

Post by Croc »

Some years ago (before the Olympics) I had heard that it was stored in Dyson's yard in Bundoora, Melbourne.

Can anyone confirm it was there and if they know where it went after that?

(Geez. After all these years I would have thought it would have been harded to find an old Denning that was straight....)
Croc

Post by Croc »

That is, the original one was at Dysons. Not the one that was tarted up later.

Does anyone know the history of the origial Priscilla before the film was shot?
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

Rego in the movie was FGY 688 on a Victorian plate
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

Ex Boronia Coach Tours, Greenacre. And as Doc intimated, heap of rubbish.
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

Never drove one so can not judge - I would suggest they used something that was 'easy' to drive!? (what sort of engine/transmission combo did they have??
moreton
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo and Ford
Location: *Never have to wait behind a Taxi doing an EFTPOS transation in Brisbane.

Post by moreton »

Hino Freighter 11RC was a 6 speed box reverse set-up if I can remember, they used to lean over on the air bags, and some of the passengers would get a fright when you went to quick around a tight bend, quite slow of the mark and comfortable on a good road mainly Coachwork but a real dog around town and in traffic.
The movie people looked at the one from our depot, took it for a drive and went with the one in the movie, they paid about $5000, for the one they used, Boss wanted $5500 for his version, which was a sister to the one they used. Moreton. :wink:
Never again have to wait in a Q,in Queen Street ?
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

Cheers moreton - do you have a unit number and year of build??( any other relevant info to build up a profile of her etc?(Anyone have images of her 'in service'??
bus2gc7.7312.jpg
bus2gc7.7312.jpg (33.08 KiB) Viewed 6483 times
I have just read an article relating to the 2000 Olympics 'Pricilla' - Stan Biega is sure that the original 'Priscilla' was a Hino RC 320 with a PMC Adelaide body!? (quite a rare coach apparently...)
AEC Decker
Favourite Vehicle: AEC air-door Decker of course.

Post by AEC Decker »

DiAmOnD T wrote:The original one from the movie was last seen in storage in Caringbah along with Atlantean 1224 and Leopard 3727. But that was back in the mid 90's
AEC Decker was working on 1224 at that location in the mid 90's, but doesn't remember seeing 3727 (which he drove when on loan to Ryde back in the 80's) or the "Priscilla" Hino Freighter, but then again he wasn't looking for them. :shock:
STA CNG Scania 3461-3520,3621-3661=Scania Blοater
STA O405NH=Classic Blοater
STA O500LE 4868-4877,4879-4902,1800-1811=Heavy Blοater
STA O500LE 1812 onwards=Blοater
STA O500LE Euro 5 Diesel=Non Blοater or AdBlueter
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

Not rare at all. Freighters became PMC Adelaide.
DiAmOnD T
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Mandator Ex Browns no7

Post by DiAmOnD T »

AEC Decker wrote:
DiAmOnD T wrote:The original one from the movie was last seen in storage in Caringbah along with Atlantean 1224 and Leopard 3727. But that was back in the mid 90's
AEC Decker was working on 1224 at that location in the mid 90's, but doesn't remember seeing 3727 (which he drove when on loan to Ryde back in the 80's) or the "Priscilla" Hino Freighter, but then again he wasn't looking for them. :shock:
Well "AEC Decker" must have been running late as they were parked right beside 1224. That was when it first arrived there, guessing the two went not long after then.
The Diesel Guy
- Mobile heavy vehicle repairs serving Sydney to Newcastle -

dieselguynsw@gmail.com
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

I'm curious to know who reported her stolen...there was a rumour that a biker gang stole it and torched it somewhere - no sense of humour apparently!? - lets face it a pink(lavender) ex tour coach travelling down the highway must have attracted some attention :shock: :lol: :roll:
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

as stated it sat in a yard near the railway line at erskineville jut down from the pub were they made the movie it was there a few years then dissapearded
"CAPTAIN.C.H Still lives" :twisted: :shock: "JUST"
Doc68
Favourite Vehicle: Technics sl1200

Post by Doc68 »

moreton wrote:Hino Freighter 11RC was a 6 speed box reverse set-up if I can remember, they used to lean over on the air bags, and some of the passengers would get a fright when you went to quick around a tight bend, quite slow of the mark and comfortable on a good road mainly Coachwork but a real dog around town and in traffic.
The movie people looked at the one from our depot, took it for a drive and went with the one in the movie, they paid about $5000, for the one they used, Boss wanted $5500 for his version, which was a sister to the one they used. Moreton. :wink:
5 speed normal dogleg 1st left down 0 to 60 aprox 1 week wind dependent :roll: deceleration not much better on level ground, downhill much longer :cry:
$5000, my price would be to move the decimal place a little $5.000 only as I could make some money from simsmetal & get a good price for the motor at a ships chandlers :shock:
'GM 2strokes, still the most efficient engine ever developed for converting fuel into noise'.
Food has replaced sex in my life now I can't even get into my own pants
dominodc122

Post by dominodc122 »

So I take it we're talking syncro here? - what size donkey and are we blessed with a turbo/supercharger!? - (judging by the notations...apparently not :roll: :lol: )

Return to “General Transport Discussion”