Old Bus on farm - what to do with it?

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
Drewie

Old Bus on farm - what to do with it?

Post by Drewie »

Hi guys... Firstly this is my first post so a quick hello to every one, I am after some advice, my father-in-law recently passed away he was 89, he has this old Bedford Bus on his farm and the family is scratching our heads as to what to do with it, it was a local country bus many years ago and was then converted to a motor home type of thing, never really got used and eventually was driven to his farm and put on blocks and there it has sat for the past 20 years or so.
Firstly I would like to identify what year and type it is, I have a feeling it is from the 50's, I have some photos I can post later, also suggestions as to what to do with it, ie: get it towed or cut up for scrap, try and sell it for resto or parts, or maybe just leave it there for the new owners of the farm if and when the farm sells for use as another room, provided the new owners of the farm want it. Appreciate your thoughts.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Old Bus on farm - what to do with it?

Post by boronia »

I doubt anyone can answer any of your questions until they see the photos.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Drewie

Post by Drewie »

A few pics we took when we were up there last... The rear wheels are there but under the bus, do you think any one would restore something like this or more for parts or scrap? Can get some more pics next time we are at the old farm.

Mogambo

Post by Mogambo »

Wow, its a classic! Smells a little like an ex Skennar's type of vehicle.... definitely a Bedford, but the body has got me a bit stumped..looks a bit like a Watts body, but the headlight shrouds make it a bit more curious.

Do you know if it still has an engine and drive train, and if they still go?

How complete is the bus other than the missing wheels?

Id definitely hate to see that go for scrap! Its an ideal resto project for someone. My suggestion if youre desperate to get rid of it, is do a detailed report on exactly what it does and doesnt need to get it mobile again, and its current condition very honestly, and put it on e-bay. That may be the best way to get it moved if thats what youre seeking.

Regardless, there is a LOT of hours and $ required to do anything much with her. But for the right person, those thinsg can be worked around.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

maybe the front desto will give you details were its from :roll:
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
boronia

Post by boronia »

The reality is that there is not a lot of people out there with the desire or resources to restore old buses, esp when they get to this stage of decay.

You could advertise it on eBay, but you will not get much response unless you are prepared to accept a very nominal amount for it.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Drewie

Post by Drewie »

Next time I am up the farm, probably in a couple of weeks, I will see if I can find an ID plate and get a bit more info, the motor is still in it, it is a petrol engine as I remember putting fuel in it to move it from its old location, we drove it to the location it is at now but that was 20 odd years ago. It depends on when the farm is sold as to whether the new owners want it removed or not I guess. Does seem a shame to cut it up for scrap though.
Mogambo

Post by Mogambo »

There appears to be nothing on the desto to be able to give it away as to its origins. My best *guess*, is that its a Watts bodied SB Bedford. No idea what vintage, but Id have to think late 50's early 60's at best. Colour scheme could have belonged to anyone. Some ID would help some of the more clued up tracking people.

Agreed, would be as shame to see it go to scrap, but having places to park such projects is half the battle, let alone the funds and skills required. However, as suggested by other members, you may find some interest on ebay, even if it is only for $1 and the lucky buyer has to collect it, it may find a better future....
boronia

Post by boronia »

I like the windscreen washer hanging on the front :lol: :lol:
@ The Museum of Fire.
Drewie

Post by Drewie »

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions guys, I will see if I can find an ID plate or any other info next time I am up there, the back wheels are there, they are laying under the bus. When we drove it to its current location around 20 years ago it drove ok motor/gearbox wise, but the brakes, fuel lines etc would be buggered now along with lots of other stuff I would say. Will keep you posted as to what happens with it. I was also thinking it may have been of a late 50's early 60's vintage as Mogambo suggested.
wannawagon

Post by wannawagon »

I have sent the link to this thread to someone who has Barry watts email and he will forward it on. I know Barry was looking for certain old watts buses, lets hope it may be one of interest to him....
Drewie

Post by Drewie »

wannawagon wrote:I have sent the link to this thread to someone who has Barry watts email and he will forward it on. I know Barry was looking for certain old watts buses, lets hope it may be one of interest to him....

Thanks for that... See what happens.
barriewatt

Post by barriewatt »

Hi all,
Barrie Watt ( Watts Bus & Coach Works, Brisbane) can confirm this bus was built for Fearnes of Wagga , NSW.

Details as follows
1/9/59
MO3584
Bedford SB3

Barrie is still repairing buses here in Brisbane and also sells used buses and buses suitable motor homes.

Barries email address is barriewatt@connect.net.au
Drewie

Post by Drewie »

barriewatt wrote:Hi all,
Barrie Watt ( Watts Bus & Coach Works, Brisbane) can confirm this bus was built for Fearnes of Wagga , NSW.

Details as follows
1/9/59
MO3584
Bedford SB3

Barrie is still repairing buses here in Brisbane and also sells used buses and buses suitable motor homes.

Barries email address is barriewatt@connect.net.au
Thanks for that information, I will send Barrie an email and get his thoughts on what to do with it, ie: dismantle for parts or see if it is suitable for a resto.
Drewie

Post by Drewie »

My wifes fathers deceased estate goes to auction next month, the old bus is on the property still and will be auctioned off at the clearance sale.
Not sure if it will get any bidders it may go for scrap metal, maybe cut up on site? But if it does get a bid there is no reserve on it, probably more of a problem moving it. Just thought I'd post it on here in case any of the bits on it were of use to any one.

Link to the auction below.

http://www.kevinhicksrealestate.com.au/ ... php?id=223
Drewie

Post by Drewie »

Bit of an update, the clearance sale was held last Sunday must have been close to 1000 people in attendance, the bus had a few bidders and finally sold for $700. The guy who bought it said he was going to restore it.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Great news. Hope you told him about this forum so he can keep us up to date on progress. :idea:
@ The Museum of Fire.
Croc

Post by Croc »

Good on you Drewie.

It's important that objects like this are restored becuase they represent our heritage. Thanks for making the effort it took to connect someone who cared about an object with someone who had the skills, resources and the determination to initiate a project like this.

There's a parade of old buses on the roads in Sydney tonight. This tour will help people to remember when the high point on the skyline was often the roof of a bus, re-connect with old smells and sounds and through those powerful sensations recall experiences, both good and bad, families, friends and old loves (both good and bad).

Drewie for you this may have been the object that represented a hard working dad's longing for an extended holdiay. For someone else it may remind them of their fear of the school bully as they climbed up the bus stairs past the driver's cab. For the old driver it may remind him of his aching, aching arms and the pain in his calves. And for a new generation these found objects allow new people to now how hard some of our ancestors work and wonder how on earth they could set out into central Aussie or even down the ashphalt to melbourne and, to use a trasnsport metaphor, just to see how far we've come.

I hope you see the old girl down the road some time.

Thanks mate.

C
Drewie

Post by Drewie »

Well we finally sold my late father-in-laws farm and it came time to move the old bus that had been sitting in the one spot for well over 20 years, I have attached some photos of the event as I thought some of you may have been interested. We inflated the tyres and jacked it up and fitted just a single wheel to the rear instead of the duals as we were only pulling it out to put on a truck. My brother-in-law came around with his tractor and we had to cut a hole in the front fence to pull it out, it rolled out surprisingly easy, had a bit of drama getting it on the tilt tow truck but all in all was pretty successful, it only had a short journey to its new home. We removed the rear rack that held the gas bottles and it still just made it onto the truck, it dragged slightly but no damage as the ground was pretty soft.

aussieneil

Post by aussieneil »

Is this it?
2021-02-25 19.46.25.jpg
2021-02-25 19.46.25.jpg (42.92 KiB) Viewed 4302 times
2021-02-25 19.47.51.jpg
2021-02-25 19.47.51.jpg (44.5 KiB) Viewed 4302 times

Return to “General Transport Discussion”