MAN SL200 Workshop manuals and auto HELP

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
dazza67
Favourite Vehicle: GT40, B16 Chevron

MAN SL200 Workshop manuals and auto HELP

Post by dazza67 »

Giday all, first time here and I come cap in hand looking for help and advice. I have an ex Melbourne MAN Sl200 MKII (fleet no 337) which has been out of sevice for some time. I set about recommissioning the old girl for a spare bus and have discovered I have no forward drive unless I roll it down a hill, then it will lock into gear and away we go. Just dont stop it, cause it wont move again unless you can repeat the rolling to get it moving stunt. Reverse is fine. The auto used to flare into 3rd, so I know it is worn, but i did drive it to it was parked up so the non driving bit is something new it has invented.
I would like to buy, copy, steal a set of manuals for the old girl. I can offer a copy (PDF) of the drivers manual and parts book in exchange
The auto is a RENK 3 speed, and if you have a box under the bench (or a whole bus) you wish to get rid of cheeply, let me know, thanks in advance Dazza
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Re: MAN SL200 Workshop manuals and auto HELP

Post by mrobsessed »

Hi,

I have 2 Mk IIs, but my knowledge of Renks isn't the best. Some simple things I would do are:
Ensure the trans oil level is correct.
Make sure the idle speed is low enough for it to go into gear.
We had trouble coming back with the g/box temp light (on the bottom right hand side of the dash) flashing and consequently going into limp home mode. I'd check the globe to be sure that there isn't a fault.

If that doesn't help, I have a phone number for you. PM me dor the details.

Best of luck!
Chris.
dazza67

Post by dazza67 »

Thanks Chris, PM on its way, I am familiar with the limp mode, but didn't think to check the globe, I ran the bus permenatly with the over ride switch on to lock out all the door sensors etc. If I turn the override off the doors close and the reversing siren goes off, more fun to sort out. I have 5 BX341 Hinos and gee they are boring, water in there, fuel in here add driver and point at the gate. I would like to try and access the error codes from the computer, if it has any, hence the need for the manual, or knowledge. Thanks Dazza
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

Unfortunately gearbox doesn't have error codes to show on the computer.
The gearbox manual comes separate to the workshop manual, and unfortunately I don't have the g/box one. Not much you can do from a general look see though, it is starting to sound serious, main thing is to check oil level and if its burnt. You'll smell it!
Other than that give a company, Heavy Automatics in Brisbane a call they did a couple Brissy MAN Renks for the Council they may be able to help.
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
dazza67

Post by dazza67 »

I sort of figured the manual would be on it own. I thought that there might have been codes as there is a LED in the top corner of the computer box, the oil etc is fine. Basicly I realise I will have to pull the box, but I was also hoping that somone else might have had a similar issue and know of a work around. I did contact Heavy Autos a while back and they wernt very interested in helping, whist I might be wrong I think the conversation was ' we dont touch renks, pull it out and put in an allison' Possibly right answer, or I caught the person on a bad day, I dont know. Me thinks I will pull the old girl out of the workshop and stick it back under a tree untill I find an auto...
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

Yes unfortunately to fix a Renk you would be better to buy another new bus, I remember one box we did for Melbourne was around $17000.
I'm not really surprised HA didn't want to know either I think its a case of a dozen times bitten. They thought they could come in and clean up on the repair of these and ZF's but it wasn't to be. I'll try and get more info tomorrow regarding the availability of a surplus lot of gearboxes.
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

And if you go down the replacement transmission path, nothing works better in an SL 200 than a 4 or 5-speed ZF Ecomat.

Regards,
Dave
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Isn't retrofitting an Ecomat a difficult task?I read on here a long time a go that they require complex tuning or the like for individual engine types.
Allisons are supposed to be renowned for relatively straightforward installation to anything,hence STA in Sydney fitting them to a couple of Mercedes 0405s and an SL202 when their original gearboxes saw their day.
The SL202 responded particularly well to the Allo.
Gee if you could find a way to fit a Wilson semi auto or even a normal manual that would be exciting!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
dazza67

Post by dazza67 »

Back from Sydney New bus in hand (814D) I have an allison mt653, which if I was to retro fit would be my choice. The $17k you metion is under the $24k I have been told.. Me thinks it is a job for next year, when I have time
VQ
Favourite Vehicle: Anything but a MAN!

Post by VQ »

dazza67 wrote:Thanks Chris, PM on its way, I am familiar with the limp mode, but didn't think to check the globe, I ran the bus permenatly with the over ride switch on to lock out all the door sensors etc. If I turn the override off the doors close and the reversing siren goes off, more fun to sort out. I have 5 BX341 Hinos and gee they are boring, water in there, fuel in here add driver and point at the gate. I would like to try and access the error codes from the computer, if it has any, hence the need for the manual, or knowledge. Thanks Dazza
Yeah that's why Mk2's are so awesome.

I happen to know where a diagnostic utility is for the Mk2, but it's in Melbourne with whats left of the national mk2 fleet, the company that rebuilt the boxes that's in Footscray have a tendency to not do a proper job, but your issues sounds like a solenoid more then anything if it's not engaging. Though the clutches could be fried.

Remember to use the correct oil in it as well.

Pics of both buses?
dazzo

Post by dazzo »

Hi Dazza and everyone

I also have a MAN SL200 and require a workshop manual. Can you help? Can the engine govenor be adjusted? Can the trans shift patterns be adjusted? She is very slow up hills and doesnt appear to be reving very hard. Is this just how they are? Any comments would be appreciated. Send info to salthepal@xtra.co.nz.

Darryl
Stoney!
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz o405

Post by Stoney! »

Swift 584 wrote:Isn't retrofitting an Ecomat a difficult task?I read on here a long time a go that they require complex tuning or the like for individual engine types.
Allisons are supposed to be renowned for relatively straightforward installation to anything,hence STA in Sydney fitting them to a couple of Mercedes 0405s and an SL202 when their original gearboxes saw their day.
The SL202 responded particularly well to the Allo.
Gee if you could find a way to fit a Wilson semi auto or even a normal manual that would be exciting!
I think its more that some modifications need to be made to accommodate the ZF, but as far as I'm concerned its well worth it. I find the allisons in the Mk 5's an awful transmission, and it wasn't because the gearboxes in the Mk 5's met their day, apparently they just wanted some for spares.

Stoney!
Proud Volkswagen Golf owner...

Mercees o305g:- one of the best buses ever built
VQ
Favourite Vehicle: Anything but a MAN!

Post by VQ »

dazzo wrote:Hi Dazza and everyone

I also have a MAN SL200 and require a workshop manual. Can you help? Can the engine govenor be adjusted? Can the trans shift patterns be adjusted? She is very slow up hills and doesnt appear to be reving very hard. Is this just how they are? Any comments would be appreciated. Send info to salthepal@xtra.co.nz.

Darryl
Where did you buy it from and what body?
dazzo

Post by dazzo »

I bought it from ACS (Associated Coach Services ) and it has the Hawke Body
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

The ZF in an SL uses different rear engine mounting brackets and obviously wiring and shortened shaft. But seeing as a ZF costs as much as a renk to do. I'd go for a Voith, never seen a tractor box in one (Allison)
I have only a photocopy of the manual but am putting it a B58 and 59 and Panther manuals on CD currently.
dazzo

Post by dazzo »

Any manual would be appreciated. Will you copy and forward to me at my cost? thanks
casualty

Post by casualty »

Hi, newbie to the SL200 here. Did anyone actually endup having a copy of the workshop manual?
We're currently looking to buy an 81 SL200 to use as a party bus, and was after some more info. I done a bit of calling around but can't seem to find anybody with much experience with the sl200.

If anyone can help with the following queries it would be much appreciated;
-Is there anything we should look out for before buying one? (Engine, Gear Box etc)
-Are they reliable, and what would it cost to repair a gear box if it failed
-Any other areas that we should be aware of before purchasing
-Are they very economical

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers

Mike
mike@casualty.co.nz
purpledecker

Post by purpledecker »

I'd love a copy too.......!! As to what to look for.......Nearly all auto gearboxes will cost up to $20k depending on how badly they fail, and all it takes is not to notice a leak in the heat exchanger for example. Really for the money they cost, you can overhaul virtually anything and you'll still be in front. You can't buy a 30 year old bus and not expect not to have to repair something in the future, but usually, look after them and service regularly and any old thing will keep going, that's what I tell my wife anyway......lol.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

I seem to have the only complete copy of MAN SL200 - SL 202 & SG 242/292 Engines D2565 - D2565 ME/MTE/MLE and D2866E/TE/LE Including all Electric Diagrams, thats the good news but I have not yet had time to copy it on to DVD,been busy with my new release book on Kalgoorlie. Sorry to say but I only have gear box manual for two speed ZF.
I can help with small lot of info but untill I copy no can do.for DVDs
Special note to all the motors in the MAN SL 200 - SL240 & SL 202 is just about the same as the Mercedes as they are made by same company. I do have DVD Manuals for the Mercedes
Guy Arab
thumper

Post by thumper »

what price for the sl200 202 complete manual please
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Keep in mind this thread is over 12 months old
Living in the Shire.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

Fleet Lists wrote:Keep in mind this thread is over 12 months old
Sorry I do not have the scanner large enough to scan the pages, Just have not got two months to down load them, Can help with couple of pages if urgent
Guy Arab
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

I have just about completed scaning a full original manual now, just a few pages to go. Unfortunately 1 or 5 other things have taken bigger priority in the last little while. Give me a few days and it should be complete!
joanne o'halloran

Post by joanne o'halloran »

hi everyone i have an sl 200 1981 with a renk 3 speed and need to fined repair manuals for motor and gear box. hopeing someone can help ? Bus runs fine transmisson selects first then travels 6 feet and changes too 2nd and at 40kls into top and changes back down at 40kls. What oil should be run in motor & gearbox. desperateley need help.cheers
User1968auck

Post by User1968auck »

Hi I'm picking up a sl200 in a few days.
Conditions if gbox unknown.
Can you explain what you mean by globe.
What is it.
Many thanks

"I'd check the globe to be sure that there isn't a fault."

Return to “General Transport Discussion”