volvo b6fa

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
bart

volvo b6fa

Post by bart »

can anyone tell the specs of a volvo b6fa.jeff nance has one for sale does somebody know this bus and its history.are there faults to look for. thanks bart
fourthgenbuso

Re: volvo b6fa

Post by fourthgenbuso »

bart wrote:can anyone tell the specs of a volvo b6fa.jeff nance has one for sale does somebody know this bus and its history.are there faults to look for. thanks bart
This Volvo B6 is ex Saints / Peakhurst Bus Co - Built by CCMC for Saints, entered service as charter bus, later used for route service work until route 947 was sold. Saints kept this bus and again used for charter work until 2003. Sold to B & N Coaches (last known owner)

This model Volvo has a few quirks - ie. Bendix Stopmaster wedge brakes. This brake system is supposed to be self adjusting however rarely works properly and manual adjustment is a difficult process.
The engine is a TD60B / 180 hp 6 cyl turbo diesel, gearbox is 5 speed ZF (S5-35) .

PM for more history.
DiAmOnD T
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Mandator Ex Browns no7

Post by DiAmOnD T »

mo7607

Was nice untill it spent its life on route work

Wedge type brakes UUUGGGHHH!!!! the biggest downfall of the b6fa
The Diesel Guy
- Mobile heavy vehicle repairs serving Sydney to Newcastle -

dieselguynsw@gmail.com
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

Yeah I saw this bus about to commence a charter yesterday locally - looking even worse now (the photos seem misleading)
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
REIDm8

Post by REIDm8 »

I believe Western Rd. Bus Service had the first B6FA chassis in Aust.
Suttons had this chassis bodied by CCMC for use as a demonstrator, then sold it to Western Rd. Rego was m/o 4940.

Front engine and Air/Hydraulic Brakes!!

The engine cover was very wide and getting into the drivers seat was a feat in itself.
This bus passed to Baxters with the sale of Western Rd.
I have a photo on my fotopic site in the Baxters collection.

To get away from the wedge brakes, and first gear starts, Baxters fitted a Leopard rear axle to one of the other ex Western Rd B6's.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Visit http://www.petereid.smugmug.com
Photos of Older Buses, Trucks, Ferries, Fire Engines, Tow Trucks, and Trams
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quill

Volvo B6fa

Post by Quill »

Never seen one of these, know nothing about it, but why should that stop me from commenting? From the what has been said about it, it was appropriately designated - the "fa" would be for "expletive awful"?
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

There are a number of former drivers/ operators who would agree with that comment. On the other hand there is our B6FA official fetishist Apollo.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
bart

Post by bart »

thanks for the info looks like i wont be separating from my hard earned. heres a task for all the experts, ive just sold the tourmaster i converted to a motorhome time to start again.the tourmaster was full of rust so lets not go there again. basic requirements for new project ; 1. no rust 2. flat floor 3. 6' 3" plus headroom 4. easier on the fuel 5. 30' plus in length 6. mid 80's on. prefer mid or rear engine. thanks bart
DiAmOnD T
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Mandator Ex Browns no7

Post by DiAmOnD T »

Gee, you don't want much do you!! :lol:

I'd suggest the closest thing to that would be a benz, 1418, 1617 ect ect

The units we picked up from Seymore's in VIC. (when i was at Allambie Buses) were quite nice to drive, relatively rust free, good on fuel when cruising (They hated hills, but not many like them) and had A/C fitted.
The Diesel Guy
- Mobile heavy vehicle repairs serving Sydney to Newcastle -

dieselguynsw@gmail.com
AL

Post by AL »

Old post again.......

But just to add my 2-cents, I really enjoyed driving the Volvo B6FAs and don't think they're bad at all. Never had any problems using the brakes and the 5-speed box was easy to use though no-syncro on first. They went far better than other econo-boxes. They're better in everyway to Merc 1418s, Hino RGs or Isuzu LTI-11Ps. Never overheated either on a hot day like the early B10Ms.
exbusdriver
Favourite Vehicle: PMC RG197 M/o 7553

Post by exbusdriver »

I just have to say I drove one of these for my final few months before leaving and i loved it. A lot of our drivers complained about the brakes and refused to drive it. But hey they didnt put an exhaust brake on them for nothing and funny if you go back a gear or two and add that exhaust brake,mmmmmm some people just cant drive.......
ex Sonters Travelways ex Sugar Valley Coachlines ex Toronto Bus Service ex premier motor service current cavanaghs
philbus62

Post by philbus62 »

Hello I have 81 b6fa motorhome.Its everything everybody said.and It does have a great engine.Regards Phil
By George

Post by By George »

I have a '81 b6fa originally I think from kefford werribee group. Was fleet number 40. Rego then was BLK640. Would love any info about this bus if anyone knows anything. :)
jadeosaurusrex

Post by jadeosaurusrex »

By George wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:43 pm I have a '81 b6fa originally I think from kefford werribee group. Was fleet number 40. Rego then was BLK640. Would love any info about this bus if anyone knows anything. :)
Hi George, we've just bought one of these buses too but it hasn't arrived yet. How are you finding it to drive? Does it get hot in the cabin? Do you know how high the bus is? We're hoping to raise the roof if we can.

Return to “General Transport Discussion”