Bustech Discussion / Observations

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
Tim Williams

Re: Bustech Discussion / Observations

Post by Tim Williams »

Thanks for the comments, I think that the problem in Adelaide is that one configuration of artic is used for all types of routes (inner, outer, express etc.) but, honestly, it should be noted that with the possible exception of the o-bahn, few of the routes fall into the category of high turnover.

Double deckers will probably have a minimal or nil use in Adelaide in the future - I take your point about limited stop express routes and that would apply to North runs to Salisbury and Elizabeth, South to Norlunga etc. and the Adelaide Hills runs to Mount Barker etc. The two existing deckers run to Mt' Barker and they are well received, but it is unlikely that more deckers will be purchased as the cost of preparing other routes for these buses is not cheap. Maybe the forecasted growth of that area will change opinions in the future - who knows!

For the big artic fleet here, I believe the situation will remain pretty much as it is now, where artics are operated on many routes as the boffins believe loadings require them, but I must admit, I doubt the wisdom of having artics operate late night services with small loadings and this seems common here. The high floor from the turntable back does not seem to concern people, as I have said on a number of previous occasions, the high floor combo does keep purchase and operating costs down and that is obviously a strong motivating factor.

I am quite a fan of the BusTech CDI, a wonderful double decker that beat the local silly axle weight restrictions - 96 passenger seats in 12.5 metres is brilliant, but their single deckers are another matter, I am still not comfortable with revised (Adelaide) window line and we are getting heaps of them here!!
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Here’s something on the ZDI
https://youtu.be/yOBeZGyIYe0
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:39 pm Here’s something on the ZDI
https://youtu.be/yOBeZGyIYe0
That's quite funny to watch. A manufacturer making a mess of their product design doesn't worry me. It's the customers' ignorance of design and functionality issues, leading them to buy such products, that does. Who on earth has ordered 60 of these things sight unseen? That's even worse than Transit Systems going ahead and buying more BYDs before the full range of alternatives is physically on the market. I think the Sydney Bus Expo in September will be the key event as there should be a couple more significant models being released then.

One detail of low-floor bus history he's overlooked: fully low-floor diesel buses have also been around (predominantly in Europe) for the past 25 years. However, while many operators have continued to buy underfloor diesel chassis, thus prolonging the need for a high floor, there's absolutely no excuse whatsoever for a high floor in an electric bus where the motor fits under the seats (or in the wheel hubs which is a higher-maintenance alternative).

Anyway, I think he's making too many assumptions at the moment based on renders only. We need to see the real product before reaching final conclusions. With Bustech's history of design blunders I'm not optimistic, but where there's life there's hope.

The plug for the Custom Denning Element is good as it's always necessary to keep a reference point of best-practice benchmark exemplars in these discussions.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

tonyp wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:27 am One detail of low-floor bus history he's overlooked: fully low-floor diesel buses have also been around (predominantly in Europe) for the past 25 years. However, while many operators have continued to buy underfloor diesel chassis, thus prolonging the need for a high floor, there's absolutely no excuse whatsoever for a high floor in an electric bus where the motor fits under the seats (or in the wheel hubs which is a higher-maintenance alternative).

Anyway, I think he's making too many assumptions at the moment based on renders only. We need to see the real product before reaching final conclusions. With Bustech's history of design blunders I'm not optimistic, but where there's life there's hope.
He mentioned about the combo body being Adelaide metros preferred body type when it comes to Adelaide’s articulated buses
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I wanted to post a montage of Bustech's range, as I posted for Volgren and Custom, but everything seems to be up in the air at Bustech. They're still producing the XDi/VST rigid bus and, now in Adelaide, an articulated variant of that, plus the CDi double decker bus, none of which are featured on their website any longer. The future direction appears to be a standard body (with artic and double deck variants), shown below from their website, able to take alternative power systems - diesel, hybrid or electric.

Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Not good news for Bustech which is using Proterra batteries on the Mk 2 ZDi:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/07/19/ ... -shambles/

Return to “General Transport Discussion”