Rail Observations 2023

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Bus 400

Re: Rail Observations 2023

Post by Bus 400 »

The Eddy Avenue entrance near Pitt Street was closed to the public with the installation of a new door last Wednesday.

That's after an incident where someone was stabbed in the corridor/lift.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

boronia wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:27 pm I doubt the general public would be much interested in it, so it has little political value.
There is nothing physical to see, services will still get delayed for various reasons.
Unlike the pathetic fanfare over a bloody railway entry point.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Older Sydney trains to be kept in service for longer (Sydney Morning Herald)

Nothing particularly revealing, confirms that the Tangaras will be with us into the 2030s and that the ATP upgrades are scheduled to be completed in 2024.

New footbridges at Dulwich Hill and Erskinville have now opened. With neither having station master facilities, appears that the existing entrances will be retained.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Linto63 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:04 pm Older Sydney trains to be kept in service for longer (Sydney Morning Herald)

Nothing particularly revealing, confirms that the Tangaras will be with us into the 2030s and that the ATP upgrades are scheduled to be completed in 2024.
Agree. This is a bit of a beat-up by the anti-Sydney Trains and metro protagonist LNP brigade. Whether it's economically feasible to procure replacements for the Tangaras, with at least 50% local content, remains to be seen. It may not be. It does however, question the timetable for upgrading T4 with digital signalling and ATO, which is currently being trialed, if the Tangaras remain in service on that line.
Swift

Post by Swift »

They'll rival the red rattler in longevity in service before you know it, only they'll feel a lot less old at 60 than they did
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

boronia wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:13 pm The Chalmers St entrance to Central opened today.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/new ... 5ej3x.html
Also see news items on Transport for NSW Info https://transportnsw.info/news/2023/cen ... or-upgrade
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

While there is a Sector 3 diagram on weekends operated by a Tangara, unusual to see one on a weekday, yet one is operating today’s 1300ish all stops Circular Quay to Parramatta.
alleve
Favourite Vehicle: The Kosi Express in Thredbo

Post by alleve »

Linto63 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:14 pm While there is a Sector 3 diagram on weekends operated by a Tangara, unusual to see one on a weekday, yet one is operating today’s 1300ish all stops Circular Quay to Parramatta.
I saw one operating an afternoon City Circle service from Leppington last Wednesday. TripView had the journey timetabled to be run by a Tangara.
Qantas94Heavy

Post by Qantas94Heavy »

Linto63 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:14 pm one is operating today’s 1300ish all stops Circular Quay to Parramatta.
Was on the inbound airport line service before it started that trip. Certainly was a Tangara: https://imgur.com/a/mQEMtSq
Last edited by Qantas94Heavy on Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swift

Post by Swift »

They look totally modern inside. They should give them a mid life strip down to the frame and keep them until they're at least 50 years old before retirement.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Tangaras appear to be a regular thing now during the off-peak in Sector 2, were at least two separate diagrams today. A sign of things to come perhaps once the D sets enter service allowing for a recasting of the Sydney Trains fleet?
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Linto63 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:46 pm Tangaras appear to be a regular thing now during the off-peak in Sector 2, were at least two separate diagrams today. A sign of things to come perhaps once the D sets enter service allowing for a recasting of the Sydney Trains fleet?
They actually been running all day for their respective 98 Run and 99 Run. Why has this happened I'm not sure, we might need our friend Scott again as they have been able to give us information of fleet utilization for the current workings.
Randomness
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an Zf Ecomat

Post by Randomness »

A few K set runs were changed to M ones at the same time (37 and 19 are the 2 I’ve spotted so far). The speculative word on the street is that it helps familiarise drivers with the set which is why only 2 runs were changed.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Randomness wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:49 pm A few K set runs were changed to M ones at the same time (37 and 19 are the 2 I’ve spotted so far). The speculative word on the street is that it helps familiarise drivers with the set which is why only 2 runs were changed.
37 is still a K set, starts off as M set and by the afternoon peak it becomes a K set, why they do this change I’m not sure. The thing about T sets being used on sector 2 during the weekday roster is that no one will be gaining any new skills as those doing 98 and 99 run would be sector 2 drivers and central drivers, which they would be already qualified for both traction and road knowledge. It’s on weekend is where it’s more beneficial as all sectors will be doing cross-sector running, which see sector 1 doing sector 2 and 3, sector 2 doing sector 1 and 3 while sector 3 does sector 1 and 2 to keep qualifications for road knowledge and traction as weekends is where we see both drivers and guards doing runs that they don’t do during weekdays timetable.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Do a lot of drivers suffer dangerous weight gain in the trains? The Waterfall incident was caused by this.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Swift wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:29 pm Do a lot of drivers suffer dangerous weight gain in the trains? The Waterfall incident was caused by this.
I really feel like this question has no relevance to anything including the Waterfall Disaster but I’ll answer this question for you.

Like bus drivers, train drivers do spend a lot of time sitting down when performing their role. However, sitting down all day does not contrive to weight gain. Bad diets including constant fast food or unhealthy foods and drinks, combined with shift work, lack of sleep and rest easily play a role in weight gain. Drivers that don’t regularly exercise or do physical activities outside of their work time would also gain weight faster.

In short, it all depends on the person and their lifestyle, eating habits and their work life balance.
Swift

Post by Swift »

That was a very satisfactory reply. Thanks. It's something many need reminding of. You could include myself there.
It's just that it's a very sedentary job and I don't think train drivers get a much opportunity to get out of their seat as bus drivers do.
Bring back the days when drivers could stand IE the red single deck sets. They were ahead in that respect.
OK back to operations based discussing - if you want to.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Swift wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:14 pm That was a very satisfactory reply. Thanks. It's something many need reminding of. You could include myself there.
It's just that it's a very sedentary job and I don't think train drivers get a much opportunity to get out of their seat as bus drivers do.
Bring back the days when drivers could stand IE the red single deck sets. They were ahead in that respect.
OK back to operations based discussing - if you want to.
Depends on their shift, like in the morning they'll be checking either 4 or 8 car sets so it is operationally ready for service. Night shift involves parking it and ensuring all brakes are on to avoid potential runaway situations. Don't forget, drivers change ends at termination stations too, sometimes there are more to the job to say than what people normally see. In terms of driving while standing up, its doable but whether its comfortable is another. You mentioned Red Single Decks, I've only seen pictures of a stool but these days the chair are more comfier to those stools with adjustable height and backlifts and arm rests.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I can see it gives the impression to the observer that's all they do is drive when they do other duties involving spending time on their feet.
The old red sets had old school tram like cabs where it felt natural to drive it whilst standing whereas I imagine it would look and feel rediculous trying that in say a Tangara.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

Can further publicly disclosed information be provided in relation to a train at Holsworthy and a fire last night around 9:15PM?
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

boxythingy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:45 am Can further publicly disclosed information be provided in relation to a train at Holsworthy and a fire last night around 9:15PM?
That’s the rumour going around but apparently it’s a locked axle that created the smoke and smell impression. Basically one of the wheels is not turning.
boxythingy

Post by boxythingy »

Was informed that Vline has official, public facing timetables. Is there an internal alternative, slower timetable when the WOLO signs are unveiled? https://www.vline.com.au/Timetables/heat
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Nothing to do with NSW.
Living in the Shire.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

boxythingy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:49 pm Was informed that Vline has official, public facing timetables. Is there an internal alternative, slower timetable when the WOLO signs are unveiled? https://www.vline.com.au/Timetables/heat
Nothing official, for Passengers just expect minor delays due to speed restrictions in place.

https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/w ... ot-weather

For Train crew, if late they would note it down Speed Restrictions due to heat if they are significantly late.
boxythingy

Post by boxythingy »

Fleet Lists wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:17 pm Nothing to do with NSW.
It suggests in some places, in the English language, nice and clearly, that there is an official contingency plan in place which is disclosed in an transparent way and published publicly in a manner that is detailed, in order and precise. I was trying to shed some light on whether Transport NSW had something analogous, if any.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”