One of many worst cars; VT Commodore with a 3.8 L Ecotec V6 and a 4 speed GM 4L60E Auto

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Big Engine Mechanic
Favourite Vehicle: 1994NCLTDFairlaneTickfordGear

One of many worst cars; VT Commodore with a 3.8 L Ecotec V6 and a 4 speed GM 4L60E Auto

Post by Big Engine Mechanic »

One little split . . . in one of the radiator hoses . . . the size of an ant and you will blow the head !! Guaranteed and that gearbox . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: High Floor Buses

Re: One of many worst cars; VT Commodore with a 3.8 L Ecotec V6 and a 4 speed GM 4L60E Auto

Post by Merc1107 »

I've heard the GM 4L60E nicknamed an 'automatic transgression' before.

Big Engine Mechanic

Re: One of many worst cars; VT Commodore with a 3.8 L Ecotec V6 and a 4 speed GM 4L60E Auto

Merc1107 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:30 am
I've heard the GM 4L60E nicknamed an 'automatic transgression' before.
Hahaha :lol: :lol: That's a good explanation for it !

Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

If the VT is fubar, I'm sure some bogan will still give you a couple of hundred and make a burnout car out of it. They aren't called mang boxes for nothing. :lol:

(for those who haven't heard the term, apparently "mang" is the noise a 3.8 litre Commodore makes when bouncing off the rev limiter e.g. mang, mang, mang, mang, mang, mang).

As for the 4 speed auto, it's still infinitely better than the TH180 Tri-Matic (aka Trau-Matic) that Holden used in the 70s and 80s (while the VL had a Nissan auto (or 5 speed manual) to match the RB30 six, the V8/auto combo was unchanged from the VK).

Big Engine Mechanic

Holden have made alot of mistakes, the 4 speed auto falls apart, you end up having to change the gears manually, take the pan off and you will see several shards of metal floating around even with a magnet, to repair them you basically have to replace the whole gearbox, you can only service them
Last edited by Big Engine Mechanic on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

scott

Post by scott »

That gearbox was used right up into the VE, was axed in around 2011, at the end it was only used in Dual Fuel equipped models.

I had a VY with that box, and driving in hilly areas sucked, as it did not know what gear to use.

I remember reading back in 1999 or thereabouts, Holden were considering using the Falcon's BTR auto in the V6, but obviously it did not happen.

I saw the VT at a Holden dealer when they were released, they held a sausage sizzle launch, one thing I noticed was the doors were bloody hard to open, the VY I had was built 6 years later, and they still had not eradicated the issue completely, after driving in rain, or after washing the car, the doors were a pig to open.

Big Engine Mechanic

I agree with all of that, yes

Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I had a 95 T4 Lexcen for six years I ran from 120K to 309K without gearbox problems. Probably helped that I didn't abuse it and a lot of the distance was on the open highway. I didn't know they couldn't be rebuilt. Glad I have a Ford now. The BTR in our V8 got rebuilt at 189K. The V8 version has slightly stronger U.S sourced internals I read years ago and has a dedicated computer instead of being run by the main ECU like the six.
scott wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:10 am

I remember reading back in 1999 or thereabouts, Holden were considering using the Falcon's BTR auto in the V6, but obviously it did not happen.
Holden built a couple of VX mules with the Ecotec 3.8 V6 hooked to the same BTR four speed as the Falcon. Holden must have found it making to much of a similar sound to a Falcon with the distinct first gear whine it makes or the torque and power band of the V6 wasn't a good match and decided against it. I'd have loved to hear what they went like.
AA Attention Seekers Anonymous.
When you are addicted to being noticed by the bus driver we are here to put you on track to recovery!

Big Engine Mechanic

Lexcen's are hard to get parts for. I'm glad my Ford hasn't needed anything, I've pulled so many motors apart etc and the 88 to 94 Ford inline 6's always look as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

You could probably say the same thing about Fairlane parts vs. Falcons though. The only Fairlanes/LTDs to be even close to their Falcon counterparts in the body department are the NF/NL (DF/DL) and the BA/BF. The rest only share doors with the Falcon (specifically, wagons).

Going a bit off-topic (since the VT came out after the Button Plan had ended), but I was under the assumption that the Lexcen was 99% compatible with regular old Commodore parts aside from cosmetic differences.

The only notable parts that are unique to the Lexcen are the bumpers, guards and having parking lights in place of the indicators on a Commodore (the Lexcen's indicators being in the bumper), and the wagons having that ugly piece of plastic holding the rear number plate. The rest is just cosmetic like tail light shading, hubcaps and interior trim (and obviously, badges). And the lack of V8 and manual options.

Converting a T1 (VN) "back" to a Commodore cosmetically is as simple as a grille swap and a set of new indicator lenses and globes.

Converting the later ones requires swapping the bumpers and guards though (and in the case of the T2/VP, the indicators as well) and rewiring the lights to Commodore spec (e.g. parkers to indicators). Note that with the T3/T4 (VR/VS), the guards are actually Statesman ones rather than Commodore, and if you put a Commodore bumper on without swapping the guards, the ends won't line up correctly. No idea whether Statesman bumpers fit on a Lexcen though, but if you went that way you'd have to use a Statesman bonnet as well. Might look OK with a wagon, but on a sedan it would make the car look wrongly proportioned (funnily enough, Holden NZ actually did release a Commodore with a Statesman front, called the Royale; basically their version of the Calais).

Big Engine Mechanic

I got a friend that has a Lexcen and he apparently has problems. I have an NC Fairlane, mechanical parts are all very similar to the EA EB ED Falcons, some electronical differences not to worry much about that they were made very well and easy to repair, alot of old Ford parts are still made in America, Germany and China altho I hate China, obviously the NC body parts are different but I have found replacements at Upullit, the hardest part for me to find bar the Rolla looking grill was the white indicators but I did and I also did some crazy like brain surgery on them to make sure they don't fall apart for a very long time, I do believe those indicators are the weakest part on that model.

Big Engine Mechanic

I hoard parts just in case some idiot hits me.

Return to “The Lunch Room”