What's with bus route 135 to North Head?

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Marty521

What's with bus route 135 to North Head?

Post by Marty521 »

Hi all,

I've caught route 135 to Manly North Head a few times, per the timetable it's meant to head right out to the bus stop at the carpark to the lookout, "Fairfax walk".

But each time the driver said the final stop was about 1km short, somewhere around the North head lawns even though there's no stop marked there. Most recently I insisted to go down the end but the driver said he "wasn't supposed to talk people down there".

I had a look around this time, the stop at Fairfax Walk is derelict and unmarked, it looks like the old STA sign was removed and you can just see the metal pole where it used to be.

So what's the deal? Why don't the drivers want to people down there anymore even though the timetable says it should?

Just curious if anyone can add some historical context to this

Cheers

robert

Re: What's with bus route 135 to North Head?

Post by robert »

The maps with the timetable on the TfNSW website show route 135 terminating at North Fort Rd. My notes show that the route stopped running right up to the lookout (ie the Fairfax Walk) on 23 April 2001.
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com

pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

robert wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:26 am
The maps with the timetable on the TfNSW website show route 135 terminating at North Fort Rd. My notes show that the route stopped running right up to the lookout (ie the Fairfax Walk) on 23 April 2001.
Yet the (dynamic?) map on the website if you select "Warringah Mall to North Head via Manly" as the direction shows it running all the way down, as does Google Maps.

Not that I've had to get that bus yet, but be also curious as to which set of stops is correct - the ones in the PDF timetable (last stop is indeed the "North Head Scenic Dr opp North Head Sanctuary" - the stop that is about 1km short of the end), or the fact that the service from North Head shows it starting from the very end near Fairfax Walk (ie. should it drop off passengers there anyway?)
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.

robert

Post by robert »

I see what your mean about two different maps/set of stops. The timetable suggests the route only goes to North Head Sanctuary (which I assume refers to the same location as "North Fort", the name on appearing on the destination signs).

I am sure I have seen other examples where the PDF map and the stop map differ, but can't think of an example off-hand.

This is possibly a product of timetables and maps being generated centrally by TfNSW, not by those with more local geographic knowledge. Maybe this is a matter to be referred to "Mr Fixit" aka Fleet Lists?

Separate from the matter at hand here is the question of why locations on TfNSW timetables very often do not relate to locations on other timetables or those on destination signs (eg, North Head Sanctuary and North Fort, as mentioned above).
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com

boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107

Post by boronia »

robert wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:28 am

This is possibly a product of timetables and maps being generated centrally by TfNSW, not by those with more local geographic knowledge. Maybe this is a matter to be referred to "Mr Fixit" aka Fleet Lists?
I've sent in feedback before about incorrect maps like this.

The response was on the lines of "we rely on information from the operators".
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.

Nat

Post by Nat »

Lodge a specific complaint about the route, this goes to the depot and should be fixed, one way or the other.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”