• Advertisement

BUS ROUTES TO BE SCRAPPED IN DRIVE FOR SAVINGS

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion

Re: BUS ROUTES TO BE SCRAPPED IN DRIVE FOR SAVINGS

Postby Skexis » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:59 pm

nscaler69 wrote:Found a quirk in the link that worked.
Adelaide Hills Mayor Bill Spragg, said the routes running at a surplus should subsidise those running at a loss.

Are there any that run at a profit?
Skexis

Postby TA3001 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:41 pm

If there are, they'd most likely be the 900, 415, and 157.
TA3001

Favourite Vehicle: Hills B58. In service - 1640

Postby homer9000 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:15 am

I would not be surprised if the 415 disappeared and they extended the 545 or C2 to cover golden grove/greenwith and salisbury heights and salisbury park through to salisbury itself.all we need is southlink losing most of the north(560/415/430/404/405/400/401)to cover this part of the map and torrens transit taking part of the services over.I have been on a few of those 415's and there was barely anyone on them outside of school hours before and after.the 548 can still exist as a dedicated greenwith bus though a handful of times a day.
homer9000

Postby Former driver37 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:18 pm

This is my opinion only wouldn't this be lot easier to cut routes and re route other one's if there was only 1 service provider ie Torrens Transit? That way we can re route buses and not have to worry about Adelaide services been split into contract areas and save money that way??
Former driver37

Postby bigrobbo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:37 pm

homer9000 wrote:I would not be surprised if the 415 disappeared and they extended the 545 or C2 to cover golden grove/greenwith and salisbury heights and salisbury park through to salisbury itself.all we need is southlink losing most of the north(560/415/430/404/405/400/401)to cover this part of the map and torrens transit taking part of the services over.I have been on a few of those 415's and there was barely anyone on them outside of school hours before and after.the 548 can still exist as a dedicated greenwith bus though a handful of times a day.

I posted on here a while ago about changes I would make to the north.

As there is a lack of access to LMHS from Golden Grove and Greenwith, a suggestion would be to combine 548 and 415. Give the combined route to Torrens Transit. Then, along the Grove Way, the C1 and 415 can connect. Passengers can then choose to go to Salisbury on the 415 or C1 to Elizabeth. The C1 would be rerouted via LMHS.

Of course, there would be compensation to Southlink. But that would be easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigrobbo

Postby heath loxton » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:33 am

Here is how to improve bus patronage according to me - a regular bus user from Adelaide:

1) Make ALL bus routes run every 10 minutes from 6 AM to Midnight on Monday through to Sunday.
2) Simplify the bus network with routes running along main roads from the city to the edge of the suburbs.
3) Introduce a few circle line orbital bus routes to avoid travelling through the CBD for cross town journeys.
4) Include comfortable seats, wheelchair access, power points, free wifi and real time arrivals as standard on all buses.
5) Ensure bus drivers are trained to be friendly, helpful, welcoming, courteous and respectful to everyone.
6) Implement a simple, flat fare, per ride, smart-card ticketing system that is intuitive to use and reliable.
7) Always have tickets available, which can be purchased on board, for tourists and infrequent bus users.
8) Permit accompanied children aged 9 and under, wheelchair users, and the frail aged to travel for free.
9) In terms of timetabling and maps, present in an easy to understand, and integrated city wide network.
10) Mandate that buses are to cooperate with trains, as feeder services, instead of competing with trains.
11) Allow people to bring pets, luggage, and bikes on buses at all times and free of additional cost.
12) Make the price of car registration cover the full cost of providing roads and their related infrastructure.
13) Tell the TV stations to stop shoving car and car related product commercials down our throat all program long.

Thoughts ?
Regional rail in SA, for the future we all want!!!
heath loxton

Postby BroadGauge » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:01 am

heath loxton wrote:Here is how to improve bus patronage according to me - a regular bus user from Adelaide:

1) Make ALL bus routes run every 10 minutes from 6 AM to Midnight on Monday through to Sunday.

By how much are you planning on increasing taxes in order to fund this?
BroadGauge

Favourite Vehicle: Car

Postby TA3001 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:14 pm

I don't think routes like the 822, 852, 900 and 834 would have the demand for 6 services per hour both ways even in peak let alone at night and on public holidays.

A downside to the current weekend frequencies is the unpleasantly high percentage of services operated by CB80s. I doubt the DPTI really wants a high number of folks using PT despite what it looks like at first glance, as there isn't much to gain from such a thing financially. The status quo for PT will presumably remain as it is well into the future
TA3001

Postby heath loxton » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:38 pm

What i mean is we need a total review of Adelaide's higgledy - piggledy bus network that is confusing for even transport enthusiasts, let alone tourists, to understand.

We should have radial bus services radiating out of the CBD along with a few circle lines which orbit the cbd with one route per road going to one place where possible.

Something that also really cheeses me off is when the bus decides to leave the main road and start twisting and turning down side streets to stop at every school, park, etc.
heath loxton

Postby Fleet Lists » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:12 pm

TA3001 wrote:A downside to the current weekend frequencies is the unpleasantly high percentage of services operated by CB80s. I doubt the DPTI really wants a high number of folks using PT despite what it looks like at first glance, as there isn't much to gain from such a thing financially. The status quo for PT will presumably remain as it is well into the future

What issue do you have with CB80's?
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby Eurostar » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:07 pm

In the northern Adelaide area many routes could be combined.

400 and 440 (extend it to Willaston via Adelaide Road)
401/403 (extended to Elizabeth via Elizabeth South) and 441/442

411 and 565
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Eurostar

Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Postby bigrobbo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:09 pm

You could argue that the whole Outer North needs looking into.

No bus services in Craigmore after 9pm. That’s a joke.

Could you run a trial for a service from Gawler Station to Munno Para Shops?

There are new parts of Parafield Gardens and Globe Derby Park that have no public transport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigrobbo

Postby heath loxton » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Perhaps we could turn adelaide metro into a worker owned and managed cooperative with all costs required to be covered by fares. :D
heath loxton

Postby TA3001 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:09 am

I'm sure the commuters would be rapt with having to pay up to $200 a day to go via PT when traveling by car (solo) can amount to less than a tenth of this.
TA3001

Postby homer9000 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:09 am

I DID calculations on the buses and it is dearer than driving but Easier on me if i need to go to town after work for gym and library visits and everything else before home for the most part.
homer9000

Postby Eagle Eye » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:52 pm

heath loxton wrote:Here is how to improve bus patronage according to me - a regular bus user from Adelaide:

5) Ensure bus drivers are trained to be friendly, helpful, welcoming, courteous and respectful to everyone.

Can we please ensure the same for passengers?
$2,500 fines for vehicles illegally using red Bus Only lanes - could cut the state's debt real quickly if they extended that to regular Bus Lanes!
Eagle Eye

Favourite Vehicle: High-floor bus

Postby homer9000 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:27 am

just be thankful when light city lost it's part of the contract uber were not even in the running to take it over.there's no way i would support a company where part of your fares paid actually helps americans or the dutch at the cost of local jobs.
homer9000

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Adelaide / SA