• Advertisement

Electric bus - how to get artics viably electrified

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state

Re: Electric bus - how to get artics viably electrified

Postby tonyp » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:18 am

I don't know whether this is the best thread to post this on, but I have come across some interesting figures from Pilsen in Czech Republic, a regional city that has been trialling battery buses of various types but also has an existing fleet of about 95 trolleybuses, about 1/3 of them artics, all buses fully 100% low floor and the majority able to run off-wire (Pilsen has sections of unwired trolleybus routes).

The figures relate to hours and distances run by trolleybuses on weekdays and weekends and, from these figures, it's possible to calculate average hours and distances operated on weekdays and weekends. The weekday data is distorted by split shifts etc (more buses operating in peaks and returning to depot off-peak), so I've selected Saturdays (basically the same on Sundays and holidays), where buses run continuously, as an example. Being a regional city, there are no extraordinarily long routes (though a couple go out into the countryside off-wire), but the route lengths would be similar to many of those in inner west and east Sydney, like route 16 is about 9 km with 17 compulsory stops, taking 30 minutes - roughly similar to Sydney's city to Burwood or Coogee Beach services.

PlzenTrolleybusesSaturday.JPG
PlzenTrolleybusesSaturday.JPG (19.93 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

From observations it seems to me that most European battery bus manufacturers are claiming charge-free ranges of about 250-300 km which fits with the above operational distances, but the Chinese ones coming to Australia are claiming more like 300 to 400 hours, probably down to the range anxiety and at the cost of breaking up the low floor (and/or other passenger spaces) to fit more batteries on board.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Re: Electric bus - how to get artics viably electrified

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:47 pm

Hey Tony

I had the answer to electric busses here but someone removed it

If you are interested pm me mate
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... rahub-2016
eddy

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to General Transport Discussion