Parramatta light rail

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
matthewg

Re: Parramatta light rail

Post by matthewg »

I rode a bicycle the entire route today.
Of note - several locations have standard flood depth makers - they appear to be expecting the track to flood in several places!. Given the demonstrated CAF allergy to flooded tracks, look forward to many service interruptions every time it rains!

There has been NO progress on the North Parramatta overhead for the last year - it looks pretty much the same as it did 12 months ago, although the Factory Street substation does look complete.
Out at Camilia, the overhead to the depot is NOT complete - their test tram last week either was towed out, or they commissioned the 'OESS' battery in the depot before the test and the tram ran out on battery to Rose Hill Gardens. There are still ropes and pullies on the contact wire around the curve at Camilia/Depot junction. Any tram attempting to take the junction with its pantograph up will not have it for very long.

Rosehill Gardens to Carlingford does look complete, although other than the Rosehill junction signals, ALL other signals were off. The cycleway alongside the line is open the whole way other than some minor detours around fenced-off stations.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Did you ride on the trackbed itself or on paths following?
It would have been a fairly flat bike route.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

It is a very popular track-side pedestrian/bike route, with a whole spectrum of riders, from racers to wobblies. The tracks are 100% fenced, with ever-vigilant construction employees ready to call for assistance should one venture upon same. (262949)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 052&type=3
Swift

Post by Swift »

I wonder if there's bike track rage on the regular? The worst are those shared tracks with foot traffic.
Is bustitution catered to, permitting buses to drive the entire LR tracks?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

lunchbox wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:20 am It is a very popular track-side pedestrian/bike route, with a whole spectrum of riders, from racers to wobblies. The tracks are 100% fenced, with ever-vigilant construction employees ready to call for assistance should one venture upon same. (262949)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 052&type=3
Shared paths are hazardous for pedestrians as many bike riders don't ride with care for pedestrians.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Motor vehicle traffic is their karma.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

Swift wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:14 pm I wonder if there's bike track rage on the regular? The worst are those shared tracks with foot traffic.
Maybe there will be once the route becomes more popular with 'downhill racers'. My trip back to Parramatta was 4 times the speed of the trip up and significantly shorter transit time!

Is bustitution catered to, permitting buses to drive the entire LR tracks?
Only micro-buses will fit through the two 'tunnels' (road underpasses) on the cycle route.
I did have to go around a small truck loaded with temporary fencing next to Dundas station.

The former Carlingford line tracks are ballasted, so you won't be driving a bus down the tracks. At Carlingford they have seen the need to put up 'tram only' signs on the ends of the stub tracks at the station!
Carlingford End of LIne.jpg
I guess that's to stop the tram replacement buses from attempting to drive down the tracks? :-)
Swift

Post by Swift »

I guess those vile looking towers will add to this line's catchment as there wasn't much of one before. It would never have gone here but for an old produce railway already there. Go for cheapest not where it's of best use.
Is not like there's a much more direct metrobus going down Pennant Hills Road straight towards Parramatta, unless a great portion are headed for the other stops like Camelia or Rydalmere or whatever tribe they will be named after.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:59 pm I guess those vile looking towers will add to this line's catchment as there wasn't much of one before. It would never have gone here but for an old produce railway already there. Go for cheapest not where it's of best use.
Is not like there's a much more direct metrobus going down Pennant Hills Road straight towards Parramatta, unless a great portion are headed for the other stops like Camelia or Rydalmere or whatever tribe they will be named after.
The main purpose of the light rail will be to connect people along the Carlingford line with Parramatta. Yes, the bus might be quicker from Carlingford itself, but the same is less likely for other stops along the line.
Swift

Post by Swift »

tonyp wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:39 pm
Swift wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:59 pm I guess those vile looking towers will add to this line's catchment as there wasn't much of one before. It would never have gone here but for an old produce railway already there. Go for cheapest not where it's of best use.
The main purpose of the light rail will be to connect people along the Carlingford line with Parramatta. Yes, the bus might be quicker from Carlingford itself, but the same is less likely for other stops along the line.
Which brings it back to catchment. I don't think there was or is enough in those stops to have justified taking the route there but for the convenient decision of converting an existing train line rather than following the county road corridor to Eastwood and maybe Macquarie.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:56 pm Which brings it back to catchment. I don't think there was or is enough in those stops to have justified taking the route there but for the convenient decision of converting an existing train line rather than following the county road corridor to Eastwood and maybe Macquarie.
Parramatta-Eastwood-Macquarie may well be a future metro line.
Swift

Post by Swift »

This exercise in mediocre disappointing thinking may yet have a silver lining. I'm not holding my breath.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Swift wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:44 pm This exercise in mediocre disappointing thinking may yet have a silver lining. I'm not holding my breath.
The Carlingford line light rail conversion was a idea to counter the on again off again Epping-Parramatta rail link idea which would of ment duplicating the old T6 Carlingford line between Carlingford and Rose Hill
Swift

Post by Swift »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:28 pm Carlingford line light rail conversion was a idea to counter the on again off again Epping-Parramatta rail link idea which would of ment duplicating the old T6 Carlingford line between Carlingford and Rose Hill
One positive is seeing two tracks now.
Here's an item I stumbled across on the closure of produce sheds next to the old Carlingford station.
https://youtu.be/1RMEuRtn5Jg?si=QqTdUOtCL0jCmHPN

PS I think the project absolutetely reaks of horsesh it and is deeply rooted in corruption. Two tracks is a microscopic positive.
The apartment towers proliferation is disgusting and is in no way enhancing an area I grew up near.
Campbelltown busboy

Swift wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:51 am
Campbelltown busboy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:28 pm Carlingford line light rail conversion was a idea to counter the on again off again Epping-Parramatta rail link idea which would of ment duplicating the old T6 Carlingford line between Carlingford and Rose Hill
One positive is seeing two tracks now.
Here's an item I stumbled across on the closure of produce sheds next to the old Carlingford station.
https://youtu.be/1RMEuRtn5Jg?si=QqTdUOtCL0jCmHPN

PS I think the project absolutetely reaks of horsesh it and is deeply rooted in corruption. Two tracks is a microscopic positive.
The apartment towers proliferation is disgusting and is in no way enhancing an area I grew up near.
I remember seeing something not long after the 2011 state election about a group of people wanting the whole Epping-Parramatta link idea to include a altered NWRL from Parramatta so the Gillard Epping-Parramatta promise and the NSW governments NWRL would be merged into one single Parramatta hills line running from Rouse Hill via Northmead Parramatta Carlingford and Epping
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:30 am I remember seeing something not long after the 2011 state election about a group of people wanting the whole Epping-Parramatta link idea to include a altered NWRL from Parramatta so the Gillard Epping-Parramatta promise and the NSW governments NWRL would be merged into one single Parramatta hills line running from Rouse Hill via Northmead Parramatta Carlingford and Epping
The original Parramatta Light Rail proposal as put up by the Parramatta council before it was taken over by the state was for a route north out of Parramatta and head up into the 'Hills' to draw people into Parramatta. They wanted the Rogans Hill tramway back. Once the TFNSW planners got hold of it, it mutated into converting the Carlingford line and building apartment towers at Carlingford - the route being picked because it was both 'cheaper' in that they could convert the poorly utilized Carlingford railway (ready-made route) and the Carlingford and surrounds had more 'development potential'.

None of these projects is about making things better for EXISTING residents, they are all about facilitating high-density redevelopment, which with out these transit projects, would cause unbearable road traffic congestion.
Swift

Post by Swift »

matthewg wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:04 pm
Campbelltown busboy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:30 am I remember seeing something not long after the 2011 state election about a group of people wanting the whole Epping-Parramatta link idea to include a altered NWRL from Parramatta so the Gillard Epping-Parramatta promise and the NSW governments NWRL would be merged into one single Parramatta hills line running from Rouse Hill via Northmead Parramatta Carlingford and Epping
The original Parramatta Light Rail proposal as put up by the Parramatta council before it was taken over by the state was for a route north out of Parramatta and head up into the 'Hills' to draw people into Parramatta. They wanted the Rogans Hill tramway back. Once the TFNSW planners got hold of it, it mutated into converting the Carlingford line and building apartment towers at Carlingford - the route being picked because it was both 'cheaper' in that they could convert the poorly utilized Carlingford railway (ready-made route) and the Carlingford and surrounds had more 'development potential'.

None of these projects is about making things better for EXISTING residents, they are all about facilitating high-density redevelopment, which with out these transit projects, would cause unbearable road traffic congestion.
I can see some rationale now with the intention to densify Carlo. Will they be keen to travel south before heading into Parramatta rather than get the bus more direct from a closer bus stop or just get in the car?
There's still the missing rail link eastbound and the horrible congestion on Carlingford road the buses are subjected to.
Campbelltown busboy

Swift wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:30 pm I can see some rationale now with the intention to densify Carlo. Will they be keen to travel south before heading into Parramatta rather than get the bus more direct from a closer bus stop or just get in the car?
There's still the missing rail link eastbound and the horrible congestion on Carlingford road the buses are subjected to.
I saw a video on YouTube a while ago saying that there was a rail corridor planed extending from where the Carlingford line track ended north of the station for a line to Epping when they originally zoned the area for development in the 60s
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:56 pm I saw a video on YouTube a while ago saying that there was a rail corridor planed extending from where the Carlingford line track ended north of the station for a line to Epping when they originally zoned the area for development in the 60s
To the contrary, they sold off the easement north of the terminus and there were houses on it by the early 1950s.

The Carlingford line was originally intended to go to Dural, not Epping. The easement turned northwards and met Post Office Street just east of Boundary Road. North of that, at the time, there was just farmland.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

matthewg wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:04 pm

That's not entirely correct. Parramatta Council's preferred LR proposal was for a direct route from Westmead to Macquarie Centre via Parramatta and Eastwood as a first stage, branching from the Carlingford Line at Dundas to Kissing Point Rd and the reserved Eastwood County Road corridor. It also included a later stage from Parramatta to Castle Hill as shown below.

https://i.imgur.com/MAlWAEM.jpg

When TfNSW took over the planning, they completely ignored Parramatta Council's preferred route, instead proposing a route to Macquarie Park via Carlingford, with no mention of Epping, which in itself was illogical. They never thought this through and is why we will end up with the LR permanently terminating at Carlingford Station, with no direct connection to either Epping or Macquarie Park.
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

CARLINGFORD....
There's a low-cost compromise - Extend the Parramatta Light Rail northward from Carlingford Station terminus to a new terminus under the Carlingford Court Shopping Centre car-park - just 800 metres. Quite apart from the shopping convenience for those from the south, we'd have interchange with present and future bus services.
Local "influencers" and politicians please take note.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

lunchbox wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:13 am CARLINGFORD....
There's a low-cost compromise - Extend the Parramatta Light Rail northward from Carlingford Station terminus to a new terminus under the Carlingford Court Shopping Centre car-park - just 800 metres. Quite apart from the shopping convenience for those from the south, we'd have interchange with present and future bus services.
Local "influencers" and politicians please take note.
All access for the rail line to continue forward to Carlingford Court has been blocked, on the one hand, by private property, reinforced by all the original houses being replaced by large apartment blocks. On the other hand, there's the vertical distance that would require tunnelling and there's nowhere to drive a tunnel because of aforementioned obstacles. Even the former Parramatta-Epping railway plan started their tunnel further down the hill near Telopea to get the depth and then it would be too deep for Carlingford Court. My suggestion is a cable car from Carlingford Station to Carlingford Court!
flitter

Post by flitter »

Or just have people do the 10 minute walk.
Swift

Post by Swift »

flitter wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:15 am Or just have people do the 10 minute walk.
Much of it uphill next to a busy road. This was just lazy expedient planning at it's best. It was never meant to be a passenger corridor. It was a link for fruiterers in Flemington mostly traversing non residential areas.
They've artificially plonked down eyesores in a once tranquil area to justify this pathetic choice of LR route s simply because a line was already there. At least L1 is in the inner city where density is already there, but many of the stops are not ideally located in close proximity to suburbs retail areas where people want to go.
The north west of Sydney is continually let down by compromised adhoc planning. Have you seen Epping these days?

Ever since Neville Wran left in 86 Sydney has gone downhill ever since and the slippery slope shows no sign of levelling, let alone facing up.
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

EXTENSION TO CARLINGFORD COURT.....
I defer to tonyp's (generally) superior knowledge, (above), but I am confident a Planning Instrument could be invoked for a light rail corridor through vacant land south of Shirley St., there entering a tunnel portal, then swinging north under Pennant Hills Road, then right, to terminate under Carlingford Court's car park. (264182)

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”