New & Used Vehicle Dealerships:a nostalgic look back in SA.

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Denv12

New & Used Vehicle Dealerships:a nostalgic look back in SA.

Post by Denv12 »

Throughout the year there have been some new and used vehicle dealerships throughout SA that were big in their time.Some were even big for all the wrong reasons.They are no longer with us.This topic is all about remembering them.Please add to this topic and share your memories.I think we can allow all vehicle dealers not just cars on this topic too.Covers the lot.If you have photos please add them too.

Watkins Chysler.Port Road Albert Park.Its been Portside Mitsubishi ever since.
Back around 1966-67,there was a brand new Ford Mustang Hardtop on display there.It was one of the Australian Mustangs.It was converted to rhd and given an Australian serial number,etc.Does anyone else remember that car?

John.H.Ellis. The dealership was on Brighton Road somewhere.I always remember their catchy jingle and the tv advert with the guy stuffing the banana in a diff.

Bowden Ford.West Tce,Adelaide.Between Currie Street and Waymouth Street.One of the biggest Ford dealerships if not the biggest.they seemed to have disappeared around late 1970s.Never knew what happened to them.

A car yard on the premisis on West Tce between Franklin St and Grote st.They always had a lot of cars going out.A very busy 2nd hand dealer.They disapeared too by 1980 I think.

Colin Eatts Motors.Yeah,I heard all the jokes of the day.It was a car yard somewhere I think nearer Marion.I saw the sticker on a teacher's car whilst at Royal Park High School in 1974-75.

Family Motors.Notorious car yard on the Corner of Port Road and Gordon Street near the branch off for Port Road/Old Port Road.Back in the 70s they always had cheap $500 cars,usually unroadworthy.One time the boys in blue defected all their cars.
I think they ended up on Anzac highway nearer the city.

Truckland CMV.South Road Regency Park on the corner of Kateena Street.
I worked there in 1979 and 1980 whilst my dad,Jack Sellick was the general manager there.
Its been CMI Hino for years.

These are just a few that I remembered.
Last edited by Denv12 on Sun May 25, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bedford-29

Re: Car Dealerships:a nostalgic look back in SA.

Post by Bedford-29 »

I can remember one time when I was in Adelaide walking pass a car yard that was in West Tce stopped to look at this Datsun 180B two door hatch with a nice big rust hole in the side and two months rego on for $500 I ask the what do I do to get in my name he said drive out of the yard and to the place you pay your rego and change it into your name.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Re: New & Used Vehicle Dealerships:a nostalgic look back in

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Mitsubishi Motors Mt Barker
They were on the premises that Adelaide hills Toyota now has (AHT used to be where the RAA now is next to the BP) and left in 2006 or 2007.

Adelaide Hills Subaru (corner Longwood and Scott Creek Rds, Heathfield)
Is now for sale

Cornes toyota on Glen Osmond disappeared not so long ago
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
tone167
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. MAN SL200 (1982-2011)

Re: New & Used Vehicle Dealerships:a nostalgic look back in

Post by tone167 »

Bob Moran Cars. I just had to get that out there before someone else did. Bob and his ads that seemed to be everywhere during the 80s and 90s. Those two massive car yards of his: the one at Reynella on South Rd where there are about six different dealerships now, and the one at Medindie which is now two dealerships (Solitaire and Cornes Used). I remember reading somewhere that after his car yards closed down, Bob became some sort of car broker and that didn't go well for some reason.
Saab 900 1978-93: The best Scania ever made.
Adder16

Re: New & Used Vehicle Dealerships:a nostalgic look back in SA.

Post by Adder16 »

Hi....used to live in Coromandel Valley... We drove past Colin Eatts motors and my brother was about 4 and he saw the sign. It was in Darlington. Near bottom of Sheperds Hill road. He came out with "must be a machine" the whole family packed up...he was bewildered but got it a few years later.

Return to “Photos - Adelaide/SA”