Rex Law's Redline Coaches

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Re: Rex Law's Redline Coaches

Post by system improver »

Admin: While it is noted that the number of photos in this thread now exceeds ten, permission has been given to allow this especially as the photos are spread over more than one page.

Thanks for the corrections Glenn. I've noted them in my post.

No photos of 15 to 22, except 17, seen here at the Melbourne depot (not sure of location) in a John Masterton pic of 1963 and then outside the Ansett terminal in a Bruce Tilley pic some time later. The build date is recorded as 12/59:

Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

All ATDB posts by Looselion are now being largely removed, with the information to be solely available within my forthcoming book about Rex Law and Redline, which will include a wider history of the early foundation years of the Australian interstate touring and express passenger industry.
I was very pleased to share some of the Redline story here in the ATDB forum, but now after many long hours at the keyboard, and in-depth researching of Rex Law's story and the general post-war history, I feel a need to now consolidate the entire story solely within the forthcoming pages of my book.
Many thanks for all your interest and posts here, which have over the period given me the confidence to go ahead and put the book together.
Of course I will notify one and all when the book is published, and please be sure I intend to do so at a very reasonable price.
Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

Number 17 certainly had a bit of step up from the kerb I bet it was fun and game loading passengers if you were somewhere where there wasn`t a kerb.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Sure was Albion........
Standard equipment on virtually all Redline units was a portable step, placed on the ground when there was no kerb available. (most of the time!)
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

All ATDB posts by Looselion are now being largely removed, with the information to be solely available within my forthcoming book about Rex Law and Redline, which will include a wider history of the early foundation years of the Australian interstate touring and express passenger industry.
I was very pleased to share some of the Redline story here in the ATDB forum, but now after many long hours at the keyboard, and in-depth researching of Rex Law's story and the general post-war history, I feel a need to now consolidate the entire story solely within the forthcoming pages of my book.
Many thanks for all your interest and posts here, which have over the period given me the confidence to go ahead and put the book together.
Of course I will notify one and all when the book is published, and please be sure I intend to do so at a very reasonable price.
Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Industry

Post by Industry »

I can remember travelling on a Jenolan Caves Day Tour in a straight deck Denning number 55, quite a few years back and was quite impressive at the morning tea stop in Valley heights against an ageing Parlorcars coach doing the same.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
system improver

Alas, no picture of number 22, but one of 23 photographed outside the National Bank and Lonsdale House (demolished earlier this year) in Lonsdale Street at "the Melbourne Booking Office" just down from the corner of Swanston Street (western side):

I have a T&BT pic of 24 which looks similar and a pic of 27 which also looks similar, also on Bedford chassis. Perhaps Looselion can fill in the gaps for 25, 26, 28 and 29.
Industry

Post by Industry »

Yes 55 was very similiar, the photo brings back a lot of memories
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

Industry wrote:Yes 55 was very similiar, the photo brings back a lot of memories
Perhaps my memory is slipping but I am sure I drove one bus called Silver Eagle a rear engine GM, can you enlighten me its number? :roll:
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
system improver

Guy_Arab wrote:...Perhaps my memory is slipping but I am sure I drove one bus called Silver Eagle a rear engine GM,...

This is the only coach in the folder that has any mention of a GM engine. It is number 106 (the photo was taken in Feb 1969), with the following notations:
Chassis: AEC (lorry)
Engine: Cummins (originally GM4V)
Date built 3/66
39 seats with rest room.
Originally numbered 65.
Sold to Ron Bennett of Barham for use on the Barham-Melbourne service.

Not only is there a name "Silver Eagle", but there is also a badge between the words:Image
scuba

Post by scuba »

I found the photo of the Wattt Brothers bodied Commer (11 or 12) interesting, as my father, who worked for over 33 years for New England Motor Company also drove a country school run part time in the 1960's for a gentleman named Arthur Ford. "Fordy" as everyone (including the school kids) knew him purchased an ex-Redline Landliner Commer in 1964. This coach was rather unique as it had been converted from front to rear engine. I'm curious to know if it was one of these two vehicles and if there are any photos of it whilst it was part of the Redline fleet.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

Looselion do you have disposal list for Redline and Landlinder as it be interesting to see where some of these ended up or what company they were brought by.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

system improver wrote:
Guy_Arab wrote:...Perhaps my memory is slipping but I am sure I drove one bus called Silver Eagle a rear engine GM,...

This is the only coach in the folder that has any mention of a GM engine. It is number 106 (the photo was taken in Feb 1969), with the following notations:
Chassis: AEC (lorry)
Engine: Cummins (originally GM4V)
Date built 3/66
39 seats with rest room.
Originally numbered 65.

YES 65 rings a bell I am sure the eagle badge was always there in my day, Good old eagle broke down on me on New England Highway heading to Brisbane I think the place was MOONBEAMs Range or simular. Spent a cold night waiting for Mechanic putting another gear box in her. Luck I was doing the trip with another coach which transfered my passemgers. Rat of other driver on my coach, with me stranded me till next day.
Guy Arab
Guy Arab
Sold to Ron Bennett of Barham for use on the Barham-Melbourne service.

Not only is there a name "Silver Eagle", but there is also a badge between the words:Image
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Guy_Arab, I bet you were on the Moonbi Range just north of Tamworth!
ALBION1881

Post by ALBION1881 »

Moonbi range sounds right and gets damn cold during winter if you are spending night in truck rest stop at the top of the range.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

.All ATDB posts by Looselion are now being largely removed, with the information to be solely available within my forthcoming book about Rex Law and Redline, which will include a wider history of the early foundation years of the Australian interstate touring and express passenger industry.
Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
system improver

Getting back to the fleet sequence, I have no pictures of numbers 28 and 29, whatever they were. Here is colour shot of number 30, a Watts bodied Bedford SB with RE conversion (8/62) when pretty new at the Melbourne Booking Office, which can actually be seen in this photo as described by Looselion previously:

My next shot will be No.40, so perhaps the gaps can also be filled there too.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Looselion

Post by Looselion »

Glenn Law.
Last edited by Looselion on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Return to “Photos - General/Miscellaneous/Various”