OK!! Mystery bus #1

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

OK!! Mystery bus #1

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

For all you true enthusiasts and HISTORIANS. What type of bus is this, AND original operator pls.
Found this old classic near Hobart alongside an old OB Bedford in WORSE condition.
I think ?? it's an old Transport Commission(Green Coach Lines) COMMER with Ansair body ??
Am I correct or completely off the mark ?? HELP :cry:
TC.JPG
- Additional pics added 30 July.
COMMER1.jpg
COMMER2.jpg
COMMER3.jpg
COMMER4.jpg
Last edited by Tas Bus Nut on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Re: OK!! Mystery bus #1

Post by leyland clippers »

Judging by the front I would have to say it's an Ansair body.The Clipper Windscreen,headlights and where the badge used to be point to this.It could have been a cheaper version of the Clipper.Green Coach Lines had a preference for Commer chassis so it is a possibility that it was ex GCL.I think you are pretty close to the mark.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

leyland clippers wrote:Judging by the front I would have to say it's an Ansair body.The Clipper Windscreen,headlights and where the badge used to be point to this.It could have been a cheaper version of the Clipper.Green Coach Lines had a preference for Commer chassis so it is a possibility that it was ex GCL.I think you are pretty close to the mark.
I was certainly upset when I saw that front badge was missing. Nearly an identical SHAPE to the Flxible Clipper badge.
You can actually see the 1960s MTT Ansair styling in the front NS corner above the wheel and the front panel.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Ex Ansett Pioneer, ex Cook's Sedans of Hobart, ex Gray's, ex (?),Ansair Commer Avenger built in 1950. Could be this one pictured by Bruce Tilley from the John Masterton Collection in 1968:

Neil, did you take a pic of the OB?
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Yes, but they are not very good. I'll be honest, I can never tell the difference between OBs & SBs so I think it's an OB. See below. . . . . . .
BOTH1.jpg
OB4.jpg
OB3.jpg
OB1.jpg
OB2.jpg
[/b][/i]
leyland clippers

They both have certainly accumulated some junk especially the OB.
mca96

Post by mca96 »

Nice pictures, I like old buses like this there is an old clipper siting down at nuggent just past Sorrel on the way to dodgers, been there a while now.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

mca96 wrote:Nice pictures, I like old buses like this there is an old clipper siting down at nuggent just past Sorrel on the way to dodgers, been there a while now.
Is that the ORANGE one ?? I thought it was in Pawleena Rd ?? If so, I have a picture of that one from 20yrs ago.
DarrenH

Post by DarrenH »

leyland clippers wrote:They both have certainly accumulated some junk especially the OB.
There is everything but the kitchen sink inside of this bus! :lol:
mca96

Post by mca96 »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:
mca96 wrote:Nice pictures, I like old buses like this there is an old clipper siting down at nuggent just past Sorrel on the way to dodgers, been there a while now.
Is that the ORANGE one ?? I thought it was in Pawleena Rd ?? If so, I have a picture of that one from 20yrs ago.
YeaH thats the one i couldnt think of the road the fella was thinking of selling it to the owner of redline a few years ago. but wanted to much for it i think
Clipper owner
Favourite Vehicle: The Ansair Flxible Clipper!

Post by Clipper owner »

Guess I'll weigh in too. It could be X Green coach, they had quite a fleet. Don't suppose you happened to get the build no off the header panel if it was still there? Might show up on fleet records. Does it still have it's mechanicals/running gear intact? I have one of these vehicles it's fairly well complete but being wooden framed the body is sad. Although it is green and school bus is written across the rear pioneer blue is showing through, compass rose and all! I will attempt to upload a photo. I bought it for the front panelling to fit on my clipper as it is aluminium and fits straight up. Seems a waste of another unique vehicle though, they looked quite smart in their day. Mine has a largely unknown history, the farmer I got it from found it abandoned on his gravel access road to his property run out of petrol 30+ years ago. It was reported to police, they had no theft reported and told him if he wanted to remove it, take it away. He put some petrol it it, drove it to his farm and there it has been ever since. He and his wife lived in it for over a year while they built there house!
The most beautiful technologically advanced coach of it's time. The Ansair Flxible Clipper, a true classic!
Clipper owner

Post by Clipper owner »

HMMM, that wasn't a success, I'll try again, damn technology!
The most beautiful technologically advanced coach of it's time. The Ansair Flxible Clipper, a true classic!
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

Clipper owner wrote:Guess I'll weigh in too. It could be X Green coach, they had quite a fleet. Don't suppose you happened to get the build no off the header panel if it was still there? Might show up on fleet records. Does it still have it's mechanicals/running gear intact? I have one of these vehicles it's fairly well complete but being wooden framed the body is sad. Although it is green and school bus is written across the rear pioneer blue is showing through, compass rose and all! I will attempt to upload a photo. I bought it for the front panelling to fit on my clipper as it is aluminium and fits straight up. Seems a waste of another unique vehicle though, they looked quite smart in their day. Mine has a largely unknown history, the farmer I got it from found it abandoned on his gravel access road to his property run out of petrol 30+ years ago. It was reported to police, they had no theft reported and told him if he wanted to remove it, take it away. He put some petrol it it, drove it to his farm and there it has been ever since. He and his wife lived in it for over a year while they built there house!

Wow! that wouldnt happen these days if you left something on the side of the road it would be stripped and burned.A lucky find for the farmer.
How far along is your Clipper restoration or is it finished. Any photos?
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Attached pic of the orange CLIPPER from Sorell. As you can see by the date, it was OVER 10yrs ago.
Clipper owner

Post by Clipper owner »

stevegj52 wrote:
Clipper owner wrote:Guess I'll weigh in too. It could be X Green coach, they had quite a fleet. Don't suppose you happened to get the build no off the header panel if it was still there? Might show up on fleet records. Does it still have it's mechanicals/running gear intact? I have one of these vehicles it's fairly well complete but being wooden framed the body is sad. Although it is green and school bus is written across the rear pioneer blue is showing through, compass rose and all! I will attempt to upload a photo. I bought it for the front panelling to fit on my clipper as it is aluminium and fits straight up. Seems a waste of another unique vehicle though, they looked quite smart in their day. Mine has a largely unknown history, the farmer I got it from found it abandoned on his gravel access road to his property run out of petrol 30+ years ago. It was reported to police, they had no theft reported and told him if he wanted to remove it, take it away. He put some petrol it it, drove it to his farm and there it has been ever since. He and his wife lived in it for over a year while they built there house!

Wow! that wouldnt happen these days if you left something on the side of the road it would be stripped and burned.A lucky find for the farmer.
How far along is your Clipper restoration or is it finished. Any photos?
The restoration of my clipper is progressing but there is still plenty to do. They require a huge amount of time and money, I struggle with both! I am currently repowering and there is considerable body work to do. At the moment my focus it to just get it back on the road and usable as it is still registered and then just keep chipping away to get it to a good standard. The plan is to get it back to it's original Green coach paint scheme. I do have some photos and will post a couple when I get a bit of spare time.
Paul Stuart

Post by Paul Stuart »

Hi Clipper Owner, my dad tells me (Ken Stuart) that the last batch (from a bus line Greenline Coaches purchased, Doyels?) of clippers had Cummins Diesels in them - they where supercharged I beleive and good for over 120mph, so he says, Well possibly true because I would ride with him some days to Burnie and at 80mph on the carrick straights he would tell me to sit down - couldn't see but definatley over 100mph. Always in a hurry to get home to mum.
The old Deutz motors where air cooled (I beleive). And unreliable and underpowered (ok for 60mph).
I remember the red seat covers - very comfortable, you actually sat in them, wouldn't fall out on the corners, the windows use to rattle (Sliding ones) at about 55-57mph and stop rattling at about 70-80mph roughly. Thats about when dad would put the diff into top and the bus would go very quiet, all you could hear was a woosh outside and the rumble as the engine was making full power and you also were pushed into the seats as it acelerated, on wet roads the rear wheels would spin up if you were too aggressive on the throttle. Hard conventional tyres. They would buy heaps of tyres at a time - and put them in the garage store to harden up - to get plenty of miles out of them - they would be the only bus dad ever commenting on that would wear out tyres. I would earn pocket money or a rasberry at the pub with dad from washing them.
I would love to get one of those and restore it
leyland clippers

Green Coach Lines has a couple of Clippers that were ex -Sullivans a company that was acquired by Green Coach Lines. They were ordered with the emergency exit windows at the rear of the coach wheras they were normally in the centre of the coach. These coaches were originally powered by Cummins Diesels and when Green Coach Lines was taken over by Tasmanian Coach Lines they were later re-powered with Leyland Diesels motors. Just about all the Clippers were re-powered by Leyland motors including the Deutz powered ones. I think one of the main problems with the Cummins Diesels that they were prone to breaking crankshafts. There were a couple of pictures posted on this forum a few years ago.
Looselion
Favourite Vehicle: 3 1/2 window Flxible Clipper

Post by Looselion »

Here's one from the day in 1950, used in a SMH newspaper ad for Pioneer Tours.....
Attachments
Pioneer History - Sydney Morning Herald - 22 June 1950 (800 x 1052) (624 x 820).jpg
Pioneer History - Sydney Morning Herald - 22 June 1950 (800 x 1052) (624 x 820).jpg (155.05 KiB) Viewed 2997 times
Avenger25

Post by Avenger25 »

The commer avenger mentioned in this thread is now in Sthelens Tasmania. It is bus no.25 and was a greyhound coach. It still has original paint under the top coat and Hopefully I can restore enough of the original paint to keep it authentic. This has a petrol motor , is wooden framed, body is all aircraft aluminium so is in great condition. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has any information. Thanks for reading.

Return to “Photos - Hobart/Tas”