What gives you the S&#T's!?

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Frances

Re: What gives you the S&#T's!?

Post by Frances »

Nothing much today. Everything has gone alright so far.

(stands back and waits for something to go wrong)
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

When you finally come across a bus you've been after, you line up for a photo shot only for another vehicle to get in the way and it blocks you from getting a good photo and then the bus soon departs running your opportunity to have gotten a nice photo.

Happened twice yesterday. Not Impressed.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

ScaniaGrenda wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:49 am When you finally come across a bus you've been after, you line up for a photo shot only for another vehicle to get in the way and it blocks you from getting a good photo and then the bus soon departs running your opportunity to have gotten a nice photo.

Happened twice yesterday. Not Impressed.
Let me just one-up you for a second and make a case for the same thing, except this time instead of a fourth-party bus obstructing the way, it’s someone else, or a group of people, that are walking fresh off the traffic lights, not boarding a bus, and can see me in their line of sight with my DSLR camera aimed towards where the bus is, and they proceed to walk right in my shot anyway. And this is while I am stationed at the very back of the drop-off bay (This is Bankstown Station Bay F) and there is a whole spacious footpath behind the seats.

And of course, 2020s Bankstown being 2020s Bankstown, waving people out of the way to get the shot is not an option, unless you want to either get your head kicked in, or get some influencer karen calling the police on you for apparently “tAkInG pHoToS oF mEeE!!!1” (yay, gentrification)
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

It's the same thing in general with car shows when they show up around my neck of the woods, I understand you want to look at the car but I'll be in front of a specific car trying to photo it only for someone to get in the way, always. That's why If one is on I tend to go early and then leave half way through by which point I have what I was interested in.

I've been thinking of buying a smaller point and shoot sized camera for when using a "DSLR" would draw more attention than needed when trying to photo buses, alas cost of living and all at this time doesn't make it a very wise decision when I already have a camera in the first place.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
scott

Post by scott »

Dandenong council banning deep fried food in sporting clubs.

https://dandenong.starcommunity.com.au/ ... -food-ban/
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Yeah, so they can charge though the nose for wanker.menus.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

scott wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:38 pm Dandenong council banning deep fried food in sporting clubs.

https://dandenong.starcommunity.com.au/ ... -food-ban/
I recall a few days ago hearing about that ban on 3AW and almost having a brain malfunction hearing about it.

Bans like these are probably just the minute example of the sort of stuff one would normally expect from Darebin, Moreland or Yarra, not from Greater Dandenong council. Swift’s got it spot on.

Oh, and speaking of Dandy and expensive charges, yeah; Lunar Drive-in’s gone. Land tax made it unaffordable for the owners.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Swift wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:44 pm Yeah, so they can charge though the nose for wanker.menus.
I mean they have to make money somewhere but they charge way more than what it's worth always and they know they can get away with it because of convenience. Go to any mum & dad fish & chip takeaway and get your chips there instead, the quality is 99% better and probably isn't cooked with whatever cheap oils council is using to fry chips.
BanksfielderIdiot823 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:45 am Oh, and speaking of Dandy and expensive charges, yeah; Lunar Drive-in’s gone. Land tax made it unaffordable for the owners.
We have one Drive-in left I'm aware of in the Newcastle / Hunter region, Heddon-Greta and that's been given a very short life line but will be closing next year as well.

https://www.2hd.com.au/2023/03/01/heddo ... -lifeline/

End of an era, next ones closest to here are in Sydney.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Looking at getting a dedicated Android phone for videography amongst other things, the Googles Pixel 7 looks like it'll suit me but it's still above what I'm willing to pay, although I hope with this years announcement of a possible Pixel 8, it'll push Pixel 7 prices down to between $550 - $600 AUD.

I'm just let down by how many brand name manufactures are going the Apple route of not only eliminating the headphone jack but also one of the Androids market biggest selling points of having expandable storage (microsd). Soon enough they'll be pushing consumers to be locked into the Samsung store ecosystem (for Samsung phones) unless you want to root (jailbreak) the device.

As I've said before, I'm a lover of Technology but not a lover of all things technology (if you get me).
Swift

Post by Swift »

Companies tailoring their products to control the consumer rather than provide what they want.
Cars are getting that way too. They are becoming our enemy.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Swift wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:02 am Cars are getting that way too. They are becoming our enemy.
Speaking on that topic, It is vastly becoming that way with the introduction of the touch-screen tablet like displays for controls for radio, AC, GPS etc. Society already moans about drivers being too distracted behind the wheel with mobile phone use but we're completely fine with the auto-makers for giving up the physical touch buttons for entire screen controls? (Tesla is well known for this minimalist move)

I think it was Mercedes or BMW a couple of months back that had planned to add some sort of "zoom" conference meeting capability into their luxury tier vehicles. *Shakes head* no just no.

Not just this, but vehicles will also become a further cash cow, forget the annual visit to the Mechanics for a checkup, now your paying some outrageous price to enable seat warmers on your car as part of some outrageous subscription. BMW was also doing that or was planning too, don't know if it's since changed since I last looked.
Swift

Post by Swift »

When the news won't tell you how someone died, especially a famous person, just going over a tribute of their life, like Nine News did tonight with Sinead O'Connor. That's what people want to know. Why is it so private?
scott

Post by scott »

I looked at a new BYD Atto 3 recently at Doncaster Shoppingtown and the touchscreen does bloody everything, such as audio/climate/vehicle settings. Much like the Thoreb and Consat systems used in buses.

The instrument cluster is small and it would take some getting used to. The manual is solely a PDF downloaded from the website and not printed and service history is held electronically.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Nope, nope, nope.

They replace an engine full of moving parts with a highly centralised, maker/model-specific computer, running some crusty version of Android, Apple, Microsoft or some other proprietary bullshit that controls everything. I'll bet the dealers will want a nice sum each year to "update" this device, and what happens when it is too old for updates? How much does the replacement cost?

New cars are made of DoNotWant...
Swift

Post by Swift »

Another EV I hate are those mobility scooters ridden on footpaths by the elderly who expect everyone to move aside for them when they're trundling along at 20kph like the bludgers they are.

Had one geezer almost reverse into me as I passed behind him standing still, before reversing.
Swift

Post by Swift »

All the development going on in Epping NSW and the immigrants who we let take over.
Honestly no other race in history has so willingly relinquished their heritage and home land like white people. It's weak and pathetic.
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Warwick Station kiosk just sold me some lovely $3 oat milk... Which I realised was a month out of date after I'd already taken a sip out of it. I'll be looking forward to figuring out where I report these things to.

FOOTNOTE: Admittedly this is a best before date, so theoretically it might still be safe to drink after some time... But one month is a bit much.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Left wingers who want to silence views that don't align with their own.

My signature not being displayed. ATDB had become communist. The left is not the future because there will be non if they rule.

I have a deep hatred for people who don't respect freedom of speech.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I absolutely can't stand those autoplaying videos on websites. Seriously, who's even asking for that annoying garbage? It's an immediate 'nope' from me if a site tries to pull that stunt. And you know what's even more frustrating? I've got this mobile data plan, not exactly overflowing with gigabytes, and these autoplaying videos just gobble it up like there's no tomorrow with no warning.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Not sure what type of mobile you're using, but I recently switched over to Firefox on my Android, which includes options to stop autoplaying videos (or maybe that was uBlock added). Also switched over to Firefox (for the nth time) on my Mac which has the same option. Might be worth looking into?
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I have both a Iphone 11 and now Pixel 7 by Google, although Pixel 7 is just used for photography purposes at this stage as I've built up so much around the IOS ecosystem.

Anyway mainly the Iphone 11 for internet browsing, because of Apples walled garden nature (If you don't jailbreak) the extent of which one can Adblock is very limited, I do have an application that blocks ads but it's only as good if your using Safari and isn't always perfect and doesn't pick up on everything, Firefox on IOS can't accept 3rd party addons to my knowledge.
Swift

Post by Swift »

How cold Aussies can be. This is often exemplified around here, especially the NSW section.
scott

Post by scott »

Swift wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:26 am How cold Aussies can be. This is often exemplified around here, especially the NSW section.
Yes, trying to have a reasonable conversation with someone can be very difficult these days, more than not you are met with a very cold reaction.

Especially since COVID and especially in Victoria.
Frances

Post by Frances »

Having a nice crop of fruit in the garden and coming home today to find out that the cockatoos have shredded almost all of it.
Swift

Post by Swift »

scott wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:49 am
Swift wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:26 am How cold Aussies can be. This is often exemplified around here, especially the NSW section.
Especially since COVID and especially in Victoria.
That's very disappointing as Melbournites always struck me as that little bit nicer than Sydney people. Maybe they're just a different version of the impassive Aussie.

Btw, it's nothing new. It's always been like this. Just look at this tragic case of Eve Van Grafhorst.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve_van_Grafhorst

Return to “The Lunch Room”