HISTORY of ADELAIDE - BUS, TRAIN & TRAM ROUTES

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
The Mayor
Favourite Vehicle: (SA) VOLVO B59.

Post by The Mayor »

As commented by 'The Roadie' in another thread here is a short list of up coming railway station birthdays before the end of the year only:

North Adelaide, Dry Creek & Salisbury opened 29 December 1856
Parafield Gardens - 16 December 1968
Elizabeth South - 21 November 1955
Munno Para - 30 October 1978 (Happy 28th Birthday for yesterday)
West Croydon - 21 December 1915
Osborne - 30 November 1908
Clarence Park, Edwardstown & Oaklands - 24 November 1913
Eden Hills - 6 November 1911 (originally known as EDEN - renamed in 1949)

:arrow: In memoriam before then end of 2006. Some significant railway items we have lost.
Albert Park signal cabin closed 15 November 1981
Exeter & Semaphore - 29 October 1978
Electric Works & I.C.I - 31 December 1979

I hope you find some of this interesting. :wink:
ALWAYS STRIVING TO MAKE ADELAIDE & SOUTH AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY
ALL COMMENTS MADE ON THIS FORUM ARE THE EXPRESS OPINION OF MYSELF ONLY AND NOT OF MY EMPLOYER
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

I know this is a bus discussion board.....

The Hendon Line - when did it close?

Also...... any opinions - should the line have closed or extended to West Lakes when they had the chance? I assume that they did not know we would have 2 teams in an AFL competition in the early 80's...

For those who do not know, Hendon Station branched off of the Grange Line, and the station was situated where West Lakes Bvd extention (between Clark Tce and Tapleys Hill Rd) is. The road was built on the vacant land. Before this, West Lakes Bvd finished at Tapleys Hill Rd.
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

Closure of Hendon & Finsbury Lines

:arrow: The last train ran on the Hendon Line on Friday 1st February 1980. It was operated by Red Hen railcar 403. The line had opened on 3rd November 1940.

:arrow: The last passenger train to operate on the Finsbury line was Red Hen railcar 429 on 17th August 1979, but it terminated at Woodville North.

:arrow: Intermediate stations: Actil, Woodville North, No.18 Shed, Finsbury Stores. There was a Finsbury No.2 station but that closed in about 1970.

The line closed officially on 1st September 1979.

:arrow: As previously mentioned the Semaphore Line closed on 29th October 1978 with the last passenger service being operated by Red Hen railcars 304 / 404.

I hope this is interesting! :wink:
ALWAYS STRIVING TO MAKE ADELAIDE & SOUTH AUSTRALIAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT THE BEST IN THE COUNTRY
ALL COMMENTS MADE ON THIS FORUM ARE THE EXPRESS OPINION OF MYSELF ONLY AND NOT OF MY EMPLOYER
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

bigrobbo wrote:

Also...... any opinions - should the line have closed or extended to West Lakes when they had the chance? I assume that they did not know we would have 2 teams in an AFL competition in the early 80's...
:arrow: Football Park opened in 1974, six years before the closure of the Hendon Line. As Adelaide has shown repeatedly in the last 50 years or so it pays little or no attention to public transport requirements for the future.

In the beginning Football Park catered only to the SANFL and it still holds the record attendance which was about 66,000 people to a Sturt v Port Adelaide Grand Final (1976 I think). So the market was already there!

:arrow: Unfortunately the lack of foresight by the then Government to extend the Hendon Line to West Lakes has ultimately been to the detriment of the area. There are many other examples of very poor planning when building facilities away from major transport corridors around Adelaide, namely:

:arrow: In the mid 1960's Flinders Medical Centre, Flinders University & Marion Shopping Centre were constructed at about the same time the Tonsley Line was opened (but it would have been planned years prior). There was huge lots of vacant land on the opposite side of Sturt Road where the police station now is for all of this development. If it were all constructed around the rail stub what sort of Interchange facility would it be today? Notwithstanding the fact that Oaklands Station has been in its current location since 1913!

:arrow: The Gawler Railway has been in its present alignment since 1856, so where was the University of SA Campus constructed? also recently were was the town centre of Mawson Lakes constructed? It is still happening today!

:arrow: The Port Line also opened in 1856. So why construct Arndale SC & QEH away from a transit corridor?

We are paying the penalty now with some very circuitous bus routes which have to service all of these major facilities. That's my opinion! :wink:
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

I know this is a bus discussion board.....
It's the
Australian Transport Discussion Board, no mention of buses. (Although the website is busaustralia.com)
LowRider
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA MAN SL200

Post by LowRider »

Hey Mayor, could you provide us with some history on the the following rail lines please? :)

- Northfield branch (Gawler Central line)
- Penfield branch (Gawler Central line)
- Wingfield Loop

Thanks! :)

On another note, I think they should have never got rid of the Northfield line. They could have developed a better system with the busses and having them either conclude their run, or connect with the train @ Northfield.

But I do realise that it would have cost a fair bit to build over passes/under passes @ Main North Rd and Pt Wakefield Rd. I bet that was alot of the reason the line was closed.
Terrorising the Streets in an SL200!
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

if anyone knows, I'd be interested to know the opening dates of these stations as well , also wether or not these had stepdown platforms and when they were upgraded. Cheers

Nurlutta
Elizabeth
Womma
Elizabeth North (now Broadmeadows)
Smithfield
Kudla
Tambelin
Para (now Evanston)
Gawler racecourse
Gawler Oval
North Gawler (now Gawler Central)
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

Northfield, Penfield & Wingfield Lines

:arrow: The line that we all knew as the Northfield line opened in June 1857 and it terminated at the STOCKADE which was located just north of the present Yatala Prison.

The line was closed in about 1951 at which point trains terminated at Northfield. Cavan Station opened in about 1910 and was originally called Gepps Cross; Pooraka Station was originally called Abbattoirs but opening date is unknown, it was re-named Pooraka in 1941 though. Northfield Station opened in May 1912.

The Northfield line closed from Friday 29th May 1987.

The Penfield Line opened on 10th July 1941 to Penfield No.1 Station. No.2 & No.3 stations were opened up gradually to 15th December 1941. After leaving Penfield No.3 there was a large balloon loop as no turntable was provided.

:arrow: Penfield No.3 station closed 30th April 1990 with the whole line closing from Friday 4th January 1991. The last passenger train to operate on the line was done by Red Hen railcars 309 / 311 / 416 / 415.

The Wingfield Line was actually opened by the SAR between Port Dock and Dry Creek via Gillman Yard on 1st February 1868 but I think it was primarily for freight. The 'Rosewater Loop' was opened in November 1915. Passenger services would have commenced about this time as Rosewater Station opened at the same time. Two years later followed by Wingfield Station then a further 10 years Junction Road, Eastern Parade & North Arm Road were opened.

:arrow: The line closed on Friday 29th April 1988. the last trip from Outer Harbor to GMH Elizabeth was run by Red Hen railcars 372 / 373.

:arrow: :arrow: I used to catch a GMH to Outer Harbor service most mornings in 1984 & 1985 across to Rosewater Station then ride my bike to Cheltenham so I could go into town to school with my girlfriend. The train I caught was nearly always 2000 class railcars (rarely operated on this line except for this trip).

I hope this info is satisfactory!
8)
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

Gawler Central Line Stations

Nurlutta opened about 1950. In the early 1960's the Down platform was re-located to the northern side of Commercial Road.
Elizabeth - 27 June 1960
Womma - 1950
Elizabeth North - 27 June 1960 (re-named Broadmeadows 28 June 1964)
Smithfield - 1 June 1857
Munno Para - 30 October 1978
Kudla - 1950
Tambelin - 1950
Evanston - December 1968
Para - 1950 {closed December 1968}. This station was locateed closer to Para Road, it was replaced by the present day Evanston Station.
Gawler Racecourse - unknown
Gawler - 5 October 1857
Gawler Oval - unknown
Gawler Central - 15 May 1911. Previously called Willaston then North Gawler until 12 February 1984.

:arrow: Does this help? 8)
LowRider
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA MAN SL200

Post by LowRider »

Thanks Mayor, that was extremely informative! There is definately one thing Adelaide, and SA need to do, and that is to regenerate and redevelop the rail system. Rail is a much better idea than thousands of buses trailing in and out of the City.

I can't remember if it has been posted in here, but can you tell us the history of the Barossa line? That extends out beyond Gawler?
Terrorising the Streets in an SL200!
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

The Mayor wrote:
bigrobbo wrote:

:arrow: Football Park opened in 1974, six years before the closure of the Hendon Line. As Adelaide has shown repeatedly in the last 50 years or so it pays little or no attention to public transport requirements for the future.

In the beginning Football Park catered only to the SANFL and it still holds the record attendance which was about 66,000 people to a Sturt v Port Adelaide Grand Final (1976 I think). So the market was already there!

:arrow: Unfortunately the lack of foresight by the then Government to extend the Hendon Line to West Lakes has ultimately been to the detriment of the area. There are many other examples of very poor planning when building facilities away from major transport corridors around Adelaide, namely:

:arrow: In the mid 1960's Flinders Medical Centre, Flinders University & Marion Shopping Centre were constructed at about the same time the Tonsley Line was opened (but it would have been planned years prior). There was huge lots of vacant land on the opposite side of Sturt Road where the police station now is for all of this development. If it were all constructed around the rail stub what sort of Interchange facility would it be today? Notwithstanding the fact that Oaklands Station has been in its current location since 1913!

:arrow: The Gawler Railway has been in its present alignment since 1856, so where was the University of SA Campus constructed? also recently were was the town centre of Mawson Lakes constructed? It is still happening today!

:arrow: The Port Line also opened in 1856. So why construct Arndale SC & QEH away from a transit corridor?

We are paying the penalty now with some very circuitous bus routes which have to service all of these major facilities. That's my opinion! :wink:
That is informative Mr Mayor!

I have a similar view to you. In SA, we have been reactive rather than proactive to alot of public services - and Public Transport is one of those.

Imagine.....

If the Seaford Rail extention happened BEFORE alot of people moved down. Better public transport for all.

If Tonsley was made into a transport hub when the had the opportunity - imagine express trains to Adelaide - beats all the traffic.

If Hospitals like QEH, Lyall Mc, were more accessable by Public Transport

I can go on and on and on......

What a better public transport system we would have! We have a pretty good one now, mind you. I have been on systems in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and The Gold Coast (now the GC is a joke), and we rate right up there!

Getting back to history.... I am really enjoying reading your postings.... is there available on the net the last ever tram map before they ripped the lines up? I have been searching with no luck, and I would love to know where the old trams went.
tone167
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. MAN SL200 (1982-2011)

Post by tone167 »

Here's one for The Mayor ...

Can you tell us anything about the old Glenelg train line that was closed in the late 1920s at all? As far as I know, it ran where the linear park now runs from Deacon Avenue, Richmond down to somewhere in Glenelg North, I believe.

The old platform of a former train station on this line still exists near the intersection of Marion Rd and Mooringe Avenue.
Saab 900 1978-93: The best Scania ever made.
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

History of Glenelg Railway

:arrow: The railway line you are referring to was know as the 'North Terrace' Railway. The line that is now the Tram was the 'South Terrace' railway.

:arrow: The 'North Terrace - Glenelg Line opened in June 1880 & was closed on 14 December 1929. Stations were located at:
Thebarton, Hilton, Richmond, Kurralta Park, Plympton, Camden, Novar Gardens, McDonalds, St. Leonards, Glenelg, Althorpe Place.

:arrow: There was a branch line which branched after Plympton a followed the alignment of Salisbury Crescent then joined the 'South Terrace' line. This was to enable trains to operate to / from Morphettville Racecourse.

:arrow: Glenelg Station was located in Wigley Reserve.

:arrow: The Bowling Club near the corner of Tapleys Hill Road and anzac Highway occupies the site of former Railway yards.

:arrow: Sartatoga Drive follows the alignment of this former railway.

:arrow: The platform that remains near the intersection of Marion Road & Mooringe Avenue is that of Plympton Station which last saw a train 77 years ago.

:arrow: The 'South Terrace' Railway (now Glenelg Tram) had stations located at:
South Terrace, Wayville, Goodwood Road, Forestville, Black Forest, Hayhurst, South Plympton, Racecourse, Morphettville, Helmsdale, Millers Corner, Glenelg.

:arrow: Glenelg Station was located in Moseley Square. The station building was just to west of were McDonalds now is. (I think the site now has a cafe or bar there).

:arrow: The two lines were linked with a line which ran along Colley Terrace.

:arrow: The South Terrace line was closed on Wednesday 3rd April 1929 and the line transferred from the SAR to the MTT. It was then converted into an electric tramway.

:arrow: The first trial run of trams was on 16th October 1929 by H type cars 351 / 352, between City & Leah Street. First run to Glenelg was on 14th November.

:arrow: The MTT commenced operating the Glenelg Tram from Sunday 15th December 1929.

:arrow: From February 1930 some H cars were coupled into 'Triple Sets'. In about 1937 the use of Triple Sets was abandoned due to a fatal accident at Grovene. (Grovene was in the vicinity of Miller Street, today's Stop 17).

:arrow: H1 type car 381 made its first trial run on 22nd January 1953.

:arrow: Glengowrie Depot opened on 19th October 1986. City Depot in Angas Street closed.

:arrow: On 1 November 1990, H car 378 came into service as the Tramcar Restaurant.

I hope this info is helpful. 8)
TX
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland RoyalTigerWorldmaster

Post by TX »

Great info, Mayor. A few extra pieces of trivia about the Glenelg railways.

:arrow: The South Terrace Railway began operation in 1873 by the Adelaide Glenelg and Suburban Railway Company. Trains ran between Victoria Square and Moseley Square.

:arrow: The North Terrace Railway was operated by the Holdfast Bay Railway Company. The two companies had merged by 1882 (two years after the North Terrace line began operation). Both railways were taken over by South Australian Railways in 1899.

:arrow: The city terminus for the South Terrace line was moved from Victoria Square to South Terrace in May 1914. This allowed duplication of the King William Street tramlines south of Victoria Square. Before then, broad gauge rails for the train was on the west side of KW Street, and standard gauge rails ran on the east side of KW for the trams. After the terminus was moved to South Terrace, alighting train passengers could travel by tram into the city without buying another ticket.

:arrow: SAR generally would not allow the MTT's tramlines to cross its railway lines. Therefore the Goodwood Road trams travelled from Victoria Square, down King William Street and Peacock Ave, on the Hyde Park route. Just after Greenhill Road, the trams diverted from the Hyde Park line and ran on separate tracks located in the Glenelg train's reserve to Goodwood Road -- on the southern side of the railway. This practice continued after the conversion of the train to tram operation ... there were four pairs of rails between King William Road (Wayville) and Goodwood Road. The area just south of Greenhill Road where the Goodwood Road and Hyde Park tramlines split was known as Wayville Junction. After the Glenelg tram began service, there were six parallel tram lines at Wayville Junction (two each for Hyde Park, Goodwood, and Glenelg). Also because of SAR's hostility to the MTT, the flyover at Goodwood was built in 1929 as SAR would not allow the new tramline to cross its railway.

:arrow: The MTT bought the Glenelg railways from SAR in 1927. The original plan was to convert both Glenelg railways to 'interurban' tram operation, but due to the depression, the North Terrace line was never converted.

:arrow: The North Terrace to Glenelg trains continued operation until the Glenelg trams began service in December 1929.
Last edited by TX on Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
NL419

Post by NL419 »

Any chance on some history of the 750-752 service. In transit Australia mag (june 1990) There is a small artical about the 750 service. The photo that is with the artical shows Former STA swift no. 692 it is painted green or blue hard to tell in B&W with Aldinga Beach Bus Service on the side and 750 Aldinga beach up on the desto. I know Transit Regency
ran it before Southlink any other operators!!
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

NL419 wrote:Any chance on some history of the 750-752 service. In transit Australia mag (june 1990) There is a small artical about the 750 service. The photo that is with the artical shows Former STA swift no. 692 it is painted green or blue hard to tell in B&W with Aldinga Beach Bus Service on the side and 750 Aldinga beach up on the desto. I know Transit Regency
ran it before Southlink any other operators!!
:arrow: I know the picture you are referring to. The bus was painted RED and was operated by Aldinga Beach Hire. Its bus stop at Noarlunga Interchange was just as you drive in (where most buses SET DOWN now), the stop bar is just visible on the roadway.

HISTORY OF ROUTES 750 / 751 & 752

:arrow: The first services to operate into the Aldinga area came in 1881, but early services were 'country' services to Normanville, Inman Valley or Delamere. In 1931 an Adelaide to Willunga via McLaren Vale service was in operation also.

:arrow: In 1942, Briscoe's took over the operation of the Adelaide to Rapid Bay bus service then in 1943 during World War II the service was cut back to terminate at Morphett Vale Railway Station (probably one Adelaide's first rail feeder services). In 1946 the service was operting from Adelaide again.

:arrow: A few years later Briscoe amalgamated the City - Willunga & City to Yankallila services with his City - Port Noarlunga - Moana service. Most buses operated as feeders with the connection outside the Morphett Vale(EMU) Hotel.

:arrow: In 1972 all services in Adelaide were allocated Route Numbers and these services became:
Route 740 - City to Cape Jervis via Reynella, Morphett Vale, Hackham, Old Noarlunga, Aldinga, sellicks Hill, Myponga, Normanville & Delamere.

Route 741 - City to Normanville via Route 740 to Aldinga then deviating via Aldinga Rd, Port Rd, Esplanade to Aldinga Beach PO then Esplanade, Aldinga Beach Rd, Main South Rd to Normanville.

Route 742 - City to Normanville via Route 741 but deviating to Maslin Beach.

Route 743 - City to Aldinga Beach via Bluehills Road, Chandlers Hill Road, Kenihans Road then via Route 742 to Aldinga Beach PO.

:arrow: In June 1972 Route 741 was altered to operate from Aldinga Beach via Esplanade, Wattle Ave, Justs Rd, Monaco Blvd, Sellicks Beach Rd & Esplanade to the terminus @ Gulf View Road SELLICKS BEACH.

:arrow: From July 1978 all southern services were re-vamped to co-incide with the extension of the railway to Noarlunga Centre. As a consequence Routes 741 742 & 743 were withdrawn. PRIME TOURS began operating Route 745 from Noarlunga Centre to Sellicks Beach via Beach Rd, Main South Rd, Port Rd, Esplanade, Quinliven Rd, Rowley Rd, Butterworth Rd, Croser Ave, Esplanade, Aldam Ave then via former Route 741 to Sellicks Beach.

:arrow: Early in 1979 the operator of Route 745 became Aldinga Beach Hire.

:arrow: From 15 October 1979 the Noarlunga Centre Interchange & Colonnades were officially opened for operation and Route 745 was re-numbered Route 750. Initially there were only 4 round trips per day Monday to Friday. By May 1984 this had grown to 5 round trips (huge).

:arrow: On 29th August 1989 Aldinga Beach Bus Service (as they were now called) commenced a Noarlunga Centre to Sellicks Beach via Willunga service which operated 2 round trips Tuesday & Thursday only. The route followed Route 750 then via Victor Harbor Rd, Main Rd (McLaren Vale), Kangarilla Rd, Oakley Rd, McMurtrie Rd, Strout Rd, Binney Rd, Main Rd, (Willunga), Biscay Rd, Main South Rd, Sellicks Beach Rd then as Route 750 to the Sellicks Beach terminus. By this time buses were operating via Alexander St. (This service is the forerunner of todays Route 751 & 752). The service was discontinued from February 1990.

[PLEASE LOOK FOR PART 2 OF THIS AS I HAVE TO GO WORK, I HAVE RUN OUT OF TIME] My apologies. :oops:
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

The South Terrace Railway began operation in 1973
I suspect this date may be out by 100 years or so? :?
TX
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland RoyalTigerWorldmaster

Post by TX »

TT wrote:
The South Terrace Railway began operation in 1973
I suspect this date may be out by 100 years or so? :?
Yes, you suspect correctly. :oops: I have fixed it in my posting.
Crispy!
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O405NH

Post by Crispy! »

Route 710 City to Goolwa Via Victor Harbour Was that Ran By Premier Stateliner on STA/TA ?
BUSWAY EQUIPPED:
PLEASE CHECK GUIDEWHEELS
BEFORE DEPARTURE.
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

BRIEF HISTORY OF VICTOR HARBOR SERVICE &
FORMER ROUTES 710 & 711

:arrow: By April 1849 there was mail cart service operating a twice weekly service between Adelaide & Willunga.

:arrow: In May 1854 the Goolwa to Port Elliot tramway opened.

:arrow: In October 1884 the SAR commenced railway services between Adelaide & Victor Harbor.

:arrow: By 1925 there were numerous private operators running bus services between Adelaide & Victor Harbor with some extending to Port Elliot.

:arrow: In January 1928 the SAR began operating a once daily {Mon-Sat} round trip service from Adelaide to Victor Harbor. This ceased in April 1931.

:arrow: Early 1935 saw Victor Harbor Motor Services operating from Adelaide to victor Harbor via Willunga Hill & Mount Compass.

:arrow: In 1972 route numbers were allocated as:

Route 710 - City to Willunga {operated by Briscoe)
Route 711 - McLaren Vale to McLaren Flat {operated by Briscoe}

:arrow: Also in 1972 the City to Victor Harbor service was taken over by Stateliner, then a short time later by Premier.

:arrow: So in a nutshell Premier / Stateliner have operated the Victor Harbor run for 34 years.
gunzel42

Post by gunzel42 »

OK, a cryptic one to test the knowledge, when and where did the 'Getaway' bus route run?
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

gunzel42 wrote:OK, a cryptic one to test the knowledge, when and where did the 'Getaway' bus route run?
:arrow: I assume you are referring to the 'St Kilda' GETAWAY which operated during October 1994.

:arrow: The service operated on October 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 9th, 12th, 16th, 23rd & 30th. SL200 bus 1872 which was painted in the "SmartMove" AOA was stationed at St.Kilda adjacent the Kiosk each day the service operated. It was operated as a joint venture with TransAdelaide, City of Salisbury, Mangrove Trail, Tramway Museum and the Adventure Playground to showcase the area.

:arrow: Services operated from Salisbury Interchange to the Tramway Museum Car Park then to the Mangrove trail and then terminating at the St.Kilda Kiosk.

:arrow: Buses departed Salisbury: 10.25am, 11.25am, 12.25pm, 1.27pm.

:arrow: Buses departed St.Kilda: 12.56pm, 3.36pm, 4.48pm.

I hope this is the service you were thinking of and not the Port Adelaide 'GETABOUT' which started in 1995? 8) :wink:
gunzel42

Post by gunzel42 »

Spot on! It was usually operated by 1875 in 5AD colours.

The promotion was very successful, despite the bad weather that month, but unfortunately by then they were tendering for the contracting out of the northern routes...which Serco won...thus it never became a regular operation or potentially as planned an extention of the Salisbury North or Burton services.
The Mayor

Post by The Mayor »

gunzel42 wrote:which Serco won...thus it never became a regular operation or potentially as planned an extention of the Salisbury North or Burton services.
If it had it would have been Route 403 :!: 8)
gtc

Post by gtc »

Thanks so much for all the great information.

The other week you gave us the history of the Somerton routes which split off from the St Leonards routes in 1939.

Can you tell me about the history of the St Leonards route (is this now the 240 series?)

In 1994 I stayed at a caravan park on the beach in Marino, I think this was served by the 345 series but it now seems to be the 680 series. Can you tell me the history of the 344/5 etc?

You also mentioned the Glenelg Tram was numbered 61 for Cruzet system. Was this the same time that the train routes got given route numbers?
gtc

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”