New pay rates as of 1/7/16

Brisbane / QLD Transport Discussion

Moderator: PRT 065

baby38

New pay rates as of 1/7/16

Post by baby38 »

New pay rates as of 1/7/16 released by Fair work Australia for causal bus drivers, grade 1, $23.88 grade 2, $24.45, grade 3, $25.85 grade 4 $26.76, grade 5 $28.24, grade 6 $29.48 per hour, I would like to know how do you know what grade you should be on or is it years of service or the size of the bus you drive or how many passengers are registered on your school bus.
Also i would like to know what the minimum hours should a school bus driver be paid per shift doing a school run , I know where i work some getting paid 2 hours per shift some 1 and half hours per shift, also one other company I know a driver who does school runs get paid 3 hours per shift, I noticed in the latest award from fair work Australia no mention of minimum hours paid.
burrumbus

Re: New pay rates as of 1/7/16

Post by burrumbus »

baby38,in NSW the minimum hours to be paid for a casual school bus driver is 2 hours per start.Not sure on the QLD situation.
VH-NJF
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N SL200 (BCC)

Post by VH-NJF »

Since the award covers the Nation Australia wide, it should be the same across the board.

School run min 2 HRS
School run + Charter min 3 HRS
Charter min 3 HRS

That is the minium enguagement on the first of such in a day.
"Clear for take off, runway one niner.... Vee-oz seven..."

024GJT
966BUJ
129BSO
baby38

Post by baby38 »

Thanks for those replies,still trying to find out what the different grades mean is grade one school bus driver , or what are the different grades for, someone must know.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The grades should be specified in the award itself, but I can't find it in the FWA site.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

https://www.fwc.gov.au/documents/docume ... efault.htm

Found it now:

Passenger Vehicle Transportation Award 2010
Schedule B—Classifications

[Varied by PR991571, PR538349]

B.1 Grade 1

Grade 1 employees are employees engaged in various activities not involving the driving of passenger vehicles, whilst carrying passengers, and includes yard and vehicle cleaning/washing, oil and greasing, refuelling, changing tyres, assisting in tyre repairs and supervision of school children on passenger vehicles; coach attendants employed to travel on a passenger vehicle undertaking long tours and performing other duties incidental and associated with such work.

B.2 Grade 2

Grade 2 employees are employees with skills in excess of Grade 1 and includes:

[B.2(a) substituted by PR538349 ppc 01Aug13]

(a) employees engaged in duties associated with effective ticketing, conducting and customer relations service in all contact with passengers and the general public. Duties include operating and issuing tickets; ensuring correct revenue is collected; balancing and accounting for all tickets to ensure correct money has been received; pre-departure checks of passenger vehicles; driver monitoring and reporting vehicle defects; liaising and communicating with passengers and the general public to provide information and directions and performing various administrative procedures associated with Grade 2 duties;

(b) a driver of a passenger vehicle with a carrying capacity of less than 25 school children to and/or from school; and

(c) a driver of a motor vehicle, limousine or hire car capable of carrying less than eight persons and used for hire or reward but excluding motor vehicles used for private purposes.

B.3 Grade 3

[B.3 substituted by PR538349 ppc 01Aug13]

Grade 3 employees are employees with skills in excess of Grade 2 and includes all employees engaged in driving a passenger vehicle with a carrying capacity of 25 or more school children to and/or from school; employees engaged in driving a passenger vehicle with a carrying capacity of less than 25 passengers on a specified route service which operates regularly between fixed terminals; a coach driver of a passenger vehicle which undertakes charter, single day tours or which operates regularly between fixed terminals with a return distance of less than 650 km; a bus driver of a passenger vehicle who undertakes charter, single day tours which operates regularly between fixed terminals with a return distance of less than 650 km and who is not otherwise classified at the grade 4 by virtue of the specified route work normally performed or the carrying capacity of the bus.

B.4 Grade 4

Grade 4 employees are employees with skills in excess of Grade 3 who efficiently operate passenger vehicles and issue tickets; balance and account for tickets and revenue; practice basic customer relations when providing information to passengers and the general public; inspect and monitor general conditions of the passenger vehicle; perform basic mechanical support duties; report and record information and includes:

(a) employees engaged in driving a passenger vehicle with a carrying capacity of 25 or more passengers on a specified route which operates regularly between fixed terminals; and

(b) a coach driver driving a passenger vehicle with a carrying capacity of 25 or more passengers on extended trip/tour with a return distance of 650 km or more and who may be required to deliver descriptive commentary and/or be absent overnight from their place of residence.

B.5 Grade 5

Grade 5 employees are employees with skills in excess of Grade 4. An employee at this level performs the duties of driver with a sound understanding of operational work practices and procedures; performs activities of increasing complexity with some scope to exercise initiative in the application of established work procedures; may instruct other employees including on-the-job training; operates special services with a sound knowledge of the routes of other depots; instructs new drivers in route and passenger vehicle operations; inducts new drivers to aspects of depot operations and information; communicates with all types of customers with an advanced degree of courtesy and accuracy of information and carries out duties associated with passenger surveys and service monitoring.

B.6 Grade 6

Grade 6 employees are employees with skills in excess of Grade 5 who are classified as supervisors and/or trainers who perform more complex activities, which may require the exercise of knowledge and initiative in the application and establishment of work procedures.

An employee at this level performs the duties of driver plus as required provides training, supervision and inducting and monitoring of trainee drivers; drives routes in other depots to cover vehicle schedules and assists in preparing rosters and amendments. The employee is required to have a customer service focus and is also required to provide support to operations officers at special events including supervision and co-ordination of transport movements and is responsible for routine probationary service monitoring and assessment of new drivers.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
ralphmalph

Post by ralphmalph »

G'day.
At my depot the casual school bus drivers drive for around 75 minutes before parking at the depot. They are then required to wash buses until 2 hours from their start time is up. As some of these drivers have other jobs between morning & afternoon school shifts they are quite disgruntled at being made to stay at the depot. Does anyone know if they must remain at the depot for the full 2 hours?
baby38

Post by baby38 »

To be honest most days I Finnish my school run take me a about 80 minutes to do, I go home, most of the other drivers do the same, however my boss did say to me he wants us to work our full 2 hours at the beginning of the year, my attitude towards all this I here to drive a bus not wash then do odd jobs around the depot, anyway some drivers at my depot only get 3 hours per day not 4 hours, it all depends who you are, I know one driver only get 12 hours per week the excuse management use you are on a aged pension.
JuanRosa

Post by JuanRosa »

So its OK for you to steal time from the operator? If you are paid for 2 hours you should work 2 hours. What if traffic delays etc caused you to be delayed and be there 3 hours? bet you would expect to be paid for that (Rightfully so)

Return to “Discussion - Brisbane / QLD”